Brewer Fanatic

Josh Donaldson

Jopal78

I’d be ecstatic if the Brewers signed Donaldson, but I just can’t bring myself to start dreaming about it actually coming to fruition. I think there is a lot better chance the Brewers try to find the next Josh Donaldson via trade than there is they pay a $25+ million AAV for four years of Donaldson himself.

Random side note, it’s sort of crazy that Donaldson didn’t get meaningful MLB experience until he was 26 years old, and didn’t play a full season until age 27.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’d be ecstatic if the Brewers signed Donaldson, but I just can’t bring myself to start dreaming about it actually coming to fruition. I think there is a lot better chance the Brewers try to find the next Josh Donaldson via trade than there is they pay a $25+ million AAV for four years of Donaldson himself.

Random side note, it’s sort of crazy that Donaldson didn’t get meaningful MLB experience until he was 26 years old, and didn’t play a full season until age 27.

Also a factor, albeit a small one, to consider when judging his viability as a player past age 35

Hard pass on Donaldson for me. I don’t see him staying highly productive for 3-4 years through the life of the contract. At 34, he is past his prime. Locking ourselves into a large $25+ million contract for 4 years for a player of his age is just not a wise investment.

I would rather explore the trade route or head into the 2020 offseason with a bunch of payroll flexibility to look at bringing in some other high end talent next offseason like Justin Turner, George Springer, DJ LeMahieu, Marcus Semien, or possibly Michael Brantley on a short term deal.

If we give Donaldson a ton now, we will not have the financial flexibility next offseason and lock ourselves into a long term crippling contract if he doesn’t remain an all-star talent into his late 30’s.

There are a bunch of intriguing names next offseason if they don’t sign extensions beforehand. I would prefer having the ability to bring in a couple guys like Brantley and Turner than to be stuck with a contract that I feel will look ugly after only 2 years.

Important to note that Donaldson also received a QO in which he denied. As we have seen in the past this might limit his market a bit so maybe Stearns can bounce with a 1 year/high AAV offer.

However, it seems like Donaldson is generating significant interest in multi year deals...maybe the AAV just isn't what he is hoping. I would have thought he would have signed by now after Rendon set the market.

After going dumpster diving all offseason I would be absolutely shocked if we signed Donaldson. Its either going to be a scrub like Frazier or we are going with Sogard/Healy. I think its obvious by now that we are going with a far smaller payroll than we had in 2019.

After going dumpster diving all offseason I would be absolutely shocked if we signed Donaldson. Its either going to be a scrub like Frazier or we are going with Sogard/Healy. I think its obvious by now that we are going with a far smaller payroll than we had in 2019.

You keep saying that with little to back it up. Even Stearns’ comments indicate he’s treating a lot of the signings so far as improving the margins.

Did you see them signing Cain to his contract 2 years ago? Or spending $18m on Grandal last year? Stearns has shown he’s willing to spend some money if he feels there is value to it, so I don’t see why this year would be any different.

Brewers are now up to $100 million. Enough of the slashing payroll talk. Yes, maybe it’ll end up being $10 million less than last year. Maybe that means next season it’ll be $135-$140 million if the right deals present itself. It’s a nice free agent class next offseason and a lot of teams are spending big this offseason. Can’t spend big then if you throw $25+ million at Donaldson now.

Stearns may have decided to take a back seat a little bit this offseason, get young talent instead of overspending, see who sticks, and go out and spend more next offseason when other teams are capped already. If you’ve noticed, we’ve signed a ton of one year deals and have Braun’s money coming off the books after this year. We will have another offseason of $40+ million to spend next offseason.

But to think it’s some major slashing is completely wrong. There will be mid season moves, trades, bringing guys up from the minors, things like that. At the least, it’ll be in the $110-$115 million range even if they do nothing else this offseason.

I'm convinced there will be a significant addition to play 3B - and it will come via trade - Donaldson's price tag is just going to be too steep

So give us a list of these 3B. Who are the most likely candidates?

There is a whole thread dedicated to third base options, Link. Scroll through those three pages and you will come across several trade candidates.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I also believe we are almost out of 40 man roster spots, since Stearns is signing a player a day lately.

Take a look at the 40-man roster. There are several guys on it who could pretty easily be outrighted and likely kept in the organization if they wanted them. Even if the 40-man is full, it far from means they are done tinkering.

I also believe we are almost out of 40 man roster spots, since Stearns is signing a player a day lately.

There is chaff that can be dropped. Good thing we didn't waste a spot on a Rule5 pick.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I'm convinced there will be a significant addition to play 3B - and it will come via trade - Donaldson's price tag is just going to be too steep

I said earlier in a different thread that I won't be surprised if it is someone like Matt Chapman, Carlos Correa or Corey Seager. Someone with some clout in their name that no one really had the Brewers pegged as going after.

I wish Kris Bryant wasn't a Cub because he would be an ideal target as he could play 3B or 1B.

I am so sick of this narrative. Stearns is not dumpster diving he is improving his team on the margins. Instead of relying on below replacement level players for depth he is signing veterans to cheaper deals. Would you rather have guys like Hernan Perez, Corey Spagenberg, and Tyler Saladino as your utility & backup guys or would you have the the guys we have signed that can actually put up solid numbers. Same goes for pitching.

Improving at the margins is so important but everyone just sees it as Stearns penny pinching and dumpster diving. Not to mention there is still a ton of offseason left and Stearns will want some flexibility to add at the deadline.

I said earlier in a different thread that I won't be surprised if it is someone like Matt Chapman, Carlos Correa or Corey Seager. Someone with some clout in their name that no one really had the Brewers pegged as going after.

I wish Kris Bryant wasn't a Cub because he would be an ideal target as he could play 3B or 1B.

Ooooo Matt Chapman. I like that. Let's do that.

Hard pass on Donaldson for me. I don’t see him staying highly productive for 3-4 years through the life of the contract. At 34, he is past his prime. Locking ourselves into a large $25+ million contract for 4 years for a player of his age is just not a wise investment.

I would rather explore the trade route or head into the 2020 offseason with a bunch of payroll flexibility to look at bringing in some other high end talent next offseason like Justin Turner, George Springer, DJ LeMahieu, Marcus Semien, or possibly Michael Brantley on a short term deal.

If we give Donaldson a ton now, we will not have the financial flexibility next offseason and lock ourselves into a long term crippling contract if he doesn’t remain an all-star talent into his late 30’s.

There are a bunch of intriguing names next offseason if they don’t sign extensions beforehand. I would prefer having the ability to bring in a couple guys like Brantley and Turner than to be stuck with a contract that I feel will look ugly after only 2 years.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/josh-donaldson-518626?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

Statcast has him in the top 5 or 10 in Barrel% Exit velo BB% it's crazy to call out regression in 3-4 years as a reason to not sign a 4 yr deal. Can he be the player he was last season w/o regression? Acknowledging our window with Yelich, who cares on year 4? When you get a beast at the plate the level of Donaldson. You want to argue about Shaw? Nothing in Shaw's history in statcast was top 20 or borderline elite. So maybe at the regression Donaldson is Best 2 years of Shaw with Milw. (I know not mentioned Shaw stopping that argument before it starts)

I just believe there isn't enough money to sign him now. They would need like a 20/27/27\25 type deal

Another Dodger that could become available is Justin Turner - owed roughly 40M over the next two seasons, if the Dodgers wind up acquiring Lindor they could opt to move Seager to 3rd and try offloading Turner and his contract elsewhere. When healthy he's still an elite 3B, and his numbers would spike playing home games in Milwaukee instead of Chavez Ravine.

Or the Rockies could decide to use 2020 as a rebuilding year, and if so they may see what's available on the trading block for Trevor Story if they want to try and build around Arenado - they will essentially need to pick one or the other in a couple year. Story's trade value will only drop after opening day 2020. Story would cost a ton of what the Brewers have left of a farm system even though he only has 2 yrs before FA, but who knows?

And there's also Kyle Seager from the M's, who probably wouldn't cost much more than Arcia + very low level prospect if the Brewers agree to take on a big chunk of his remaining salary.

Archived