Brewer Fanatic

Josh Donaldson

Jopal78
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In his article this morning for The Athletic, Ken Rosenthal reports that Donaldson’s suitors are the Braves, Nationals, Rangers, Dodgers, and Twins. He said it seems like a lock Donaldson will command more than $25 million annually. He said it’s believed his preference is to return to the Braves.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Not sure why everyone rips on Tom. Just because you don't like what he writes or what you want to hear, doesn't mean he's wrong.

He's actually wrong quite a bit. Before the return for the Narvaez trade was announced, someone asked him about the return possibly being Ashby and he gave a somewhat snide response saying that would never be enough for Narvaez.

Combine that with the fact that he'll block you the second he doesn't like what you say and I can understand why people rip on him.

I mean this in the nicest way, but I imagine being a Brewers beat writer with the current administration is extremely difficult if you are not able to imagine unique angles to stories and questions in order to have unique or 'breaking' content.

Both Stearns and Counsell are so tight lipped and give such vague and pg answers that to create content that your viewers will find worthy, you really need to be creative with your approaches to stories. Please challenge me on this point, because I very well could be wrong, but how often does a Brewers beat break an off-season move? Does McCalvy? TH hardly ever seems to ... and when you are losing out on breaking news to national writers you are losing a big reason for your existence. Again, just my small take and I don't mean harm by it... I don't think Tom's job is easy.

Tom writes for Gannett newspapers which published rag sheets all throughout the state of Wisconsin. I don’t think his intended audience is for hard-core baseball nuts rather The goal of the content Is to satisfy the general interest of a very broad audience.

I’m sure doing the Twitter account is a condition of the job and I wouldn’t blame somebody for blocking Folks Who offered nothing but an constructive criticism and incivility

Two things that I like/can understand with Tom:

1. People call him a company man but I really do think people that watch baseball and have reasonable expectations also agree that Stearns/Counsell run the team well and Attanasio spends well enough for the market. It's true and I'm always glad when writers convey that.

2. Twitter is the worst in the sense of replies. Counsell makes the right move to a reliever and that particular time the reliever gives up a homer, there are 100 replies on Haudricourt's update about the event of stupid/angry fans.

So that is understandable/good with Haudricourt.

Now here's the bad part:

You're a professional writer that has to understand there are a bunch of angry yahoos with little actual analytic/baseball sense in them. Ignore 98% of them. He just feeds the trolls every day and comes off as smug.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Let's get back to Donaldson and away from Haudricourt. thanks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I’m also in the boat of Donaldson will get 4yrs/$100MM+ this offseason so I’ll pass. It’s looking like Todd Frazier ot Asdrubel Cabrera are more likely options to be signed.

Teams are looking at Starlin Castro there too. I'd take Castro over either of those two.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like Castro as a utility guy.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I’m also in the boat of Donaldson will get 4yrs/$100MM+ this offseason so I’ll pass. It’s looking like Todd Frazier ot Asdrubel Cabrera are more likely options to be signed.

Teams are looking at Starlin Castro there too. I'd take Castro over either of those two.

The big question with Castro is how much of a cut he's willing to take from his $12M salary last year. If he's willing to cut 1/3 or more then he would be a good option.

Per Jim Bowden: According to sources multiple teams are willing go to a 4th year for Josh Donaldson

If true, combined with earlier reports that he’s going to make >$25 million annually, I think we can likely cross the 34 year old Donaldson off the Brewers wishlist at this point.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Per Jim Bowden: According to sources multiple teams are willing go to a 4th year for Josh Donaldson

If true, combined with earlier reports that he’s going to make >$25 million annually, I think we can likely cross the 34 year old Donaldson off the Brewers wishlist at this point.

Agreed. That long of a contract with that much money screams big market. At this point, I think you see 4 years $90m or 3 years $75m for Donaldson.

No shot we hand out a contract like that. It is what it is

I don't see us doing 4 years, but would a 2 year 30 million per season get it done?

Probably not since someone will step up and do the 4 years 100 million, it just won't be us.

It would be so nice to put another proven big bat in the line-up, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen on the FA side of things.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

4 years $90m+...If the Brewers didn't want to give Moose 4 years $64m, I doubt they want to give another $30m+ for Donaldson.

Donaldson is a much better player than Moustakas so I doubt one has anything to do with the other.

4 years $90m+...If the Brewers didn't want to give Moose 4 years $64m, I doubt they want to give another $30m+ for Donaldson.

Moose is a solid player, Donaldson is a borderline Hall of Fame player, I don't think they are really comparable other than the fan sentimental value of having Moose back (which I doubt Stearns cares about).

Personally I think the Brewers will get outbid, but I don't understand the assumption that we are not in play here. Sure we are never going to sign one of those $200 million+ mega contracts, but Stearns has not shied away from big free agent deals if the value is there (Cain) and we still have a lot of payroll space even after a substantial cut to last year's playoff-making payroll.

Donaldson is a much better player than Moustakas so I doubt one has anything to do with the other.

I disagree. Not about Donaldson being a much better player but about the Brewers FO operational style. If the Brewers were presented the option of $16m on Moose and $9m on other parts of the roster or $25m on Donaldson, they have shown they would do the former rather than the latter. Especially when Donaldson is already 34 years old.

It goes against what I’d traditionally think, but I’d actually be willing to do 4/95 for Donaldson. 3B/power RHB is the most glaring need, the $ and competitive window fit. And donaldsons bet andnglovr are both aging well and I think still will. 1B is also open as if now I’d that move had to be made in a couple years

Archived