Brewer Fanatic

Josh Donaldson

Jopal78
With Navarez at catcher in 2020 at a salary of $3 million that’s over 15 million in savings from last year with Grandal. With the 12 million they paid to Moustakas that makes $27 million I’m wondering if the Brewers could offer Donaldson an three-year contract for 66 million. There would still be savings this year next year Braun is off the books and Donalson’s deal will expire at the same time as Yelich is so they wouldn’t have salary commitments to impair them attempting to resign Yelich. However off the top my head I cannot recall what Donaldson made last year and he’s 34 going on 35

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Navarez at catcher in 2020 at a salary of $3 million that’s over 15 million in savings from last year with Grandal. With the 12 million they paid to Moustakas that makes $27 million I’m wondering if the Brewers could offer Donaldson eight three-year contract for 66 million. There would still be savings this year next year Brown is off the books and Donalson’s deal will expire at the same time as Yelich is so they wouldn’t have celery commitments to impair them attempting to resign Yelich. However off the top my head I cannot recall what Donaldson made last year and he’s 34 going on 35

Few things:

24 years and $528mil for Donaldson is way too much

Brown has not even appeared in the majors yet, let alone drawn a big salary to get rid of next year.

I don't know what celery has to do with resigning Yelich

Few things:

Brown has not even appeared in the majors yet, let alone drawn a big salary to get rid of next year.

Hahah, darn talk to text

With Navarez at catcher in 2020 at a salary of $3 million that’s over 15 million in savings from last year with Grandal. With the 12 million they paid to Moustakas that makes $27 million I’m wondering if the Brewers could offer Donaldson eight three-year contract for 66 million. There would still be savings this year next year Brown is off the books and Donalson’s deal will expire at the same time as Yelich is so they wouldn’t have celery commitments to impair them attempting to resign Yelich. However off the top my head I cannot recall what Donaldson made last year and he’s 34 going on 35

Few things:

This made me laugh. All good stuff. :laughing

Hahah, darn talk to text

I knew something was up with the weird jumbled contract part and then I got to celery commitments, I busted out laughing pretty good.

On a serious note I would be intrigued by Donaldson, but I just don't like his age. Maybe he ages well and you get two passable years, but it seems like a big risk.

I like Ryu as a big risk sign if we were going to go that route. I think we can find some decent .800 OPS range bats for the corner infield quite easily. We won't be getting a Ryu level talent anywhere else though and he should be affordable (and also a shorter term deal). With Donaldson I just don't know how sure one can be. If he isn't OPSing near .900 that's a crummy sign for that type of money.

I would be hesitant to sign Donaldson to a 3 year deal because I don’t think he’s going to remain as productive as he has been. He doesn’t have much to fall to really be a terrible contract. What if he becomes a .240 hitter with 30 home runs? May as well have Thames here for $7 million to do that. Different positions, but you get the point. Moose at $16 million per year would make more sense in my opinion than a 3 year deal for Donaldson at a much higher AAV. Donaldson is a good defender right now, but how will that look as he turns 35, 36, 37?

He’s a pass for me unless it’s a 2 year deal at the most. But I would assume somebody will give him 3 years.

I'd offer Donaldson a 2 year deal for $44M. Might go as high as 2 yr/$50M if he is interested but holds out for more. He might be old-ish, but he's still a near MVP caliber player who is good at everything. I think he fits our budget and competitive window and barring injury I have more confidence in him living up to a big (but short) contract than almost any pitcher.

I'm interested in Donaldson. I'd rather have Rendon on the longer deal though. (both are unlikely).

Donaldson is one of 5 elite free agents this season though. I'd be cool with a 3 year deal between $60mm-70mm.

If brings us to the end of the Yelich and Cain contracts and locks down a position of no organizational depth for 3 years.

I'd offer Donaldson a 2 year deal for $44M. Might go as high as 2 yr/$50M if he is interested but holds out for more. He might be old-ish, but he's still a near MVP caliber player who is good at everything. I think he fits our budget and competitive window and barring injury I have more confidence in him living up to a big (but short) contract than almost any pitcher.

Highly unlikely we can, but I think getting Donaldson on a 2 year contract would be great for this org. Solid D, great bat, veteran. Good "cheaper"/shorter option to Rendon

Mlbtr predicts 3/75 for him and supply and demand of 3B, especially with Moose signing to a team not looking for 3B help, means it’ll likely take that to get him. That said, I’d possibly be ok with it. 3 years seems to be the competitive window anyway with Yelich having that long left. The cheaper strong alternative would be Howie Kendrick, if he can handle 3B full time defensively

If not Rendon, I'd rather have Starlin Castro than overpay Donaldson. Castro started 42 games at 3B last year for the Marlins. Furthermore, he was an iron man having appeared in all 162 games and the same unspectacular but nevertheless productive hitter he's always been. Put him in Miller Park and he'll hit 25 HR and 35 doubles

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Donaldson got $23M (1-year) last off season - and was coming off a down year. I think he'll get at least that much and multiple years after a really good 2019. Dude had a 6.1 bWAR last year - that's elite.

The top players are getting better than anticipated contracts (Wheeler, Moose, Grandal), so I'm guessing Donaldson reaches the 3-years, $75M some have predicted.

If not Rendon, I'd rather have Starlin Castro than overpay Donaldson. Castro started 42 games at 3B last year for the Marlins. Furthermore, he was an iron man having appeared in all 162 games and the same unspectacular but nevertheless productive hitter he's always been. Put him in Miller Park and he'll hit 25 HR and 35 doubles

He’d make sense if they kept Shaw and needed a Righty complement, but Castro is not a starting 3B on a playoff team

He’d make sense if they kept Shaw and needed a Righty complement, but Castro is not a starting 3B on a playoff team

Probably just a pet peeve here but there have been all kinds of just awful starting players on playoff teams. You can have a weak position and still make the playoffs. We had Yuni B start 11 playoff games for us and he was a below replacement level player and much worse than Castro.

Probably just a pet peeve here but there have been all kinds of just awful starting players on playoff teams. You can have a weak position and still make the playoffs. We had Yuni B start 11 playoff games for us and he was a below replacement level player and much worse than Castro.

Sure but I don’t think you go into a season in which you have other free agent options and money available and come out with Starlin Castro if you’re serious about competing for the playoffs. But you’re right there are some weak spots on playoff teams. I think a lot of those come from in-season injuries though

I’m not necessarily advocating for it, it’d obviously be a risk given his age, but I would be pretty excited to get Donaldson into the lineup. He’s probably the only currently established elite hitter I can believe there’s a non-zero% chance of signing as a FA.

Sure but I don’t think you go into a season in which you have other free agent options and money available and come out with Starlin Castro if you’re serious about competing for the playoffs. But you’re right there are some weak spots on playoff teams. I think a lot of those come from in-season injuries though

Problem is that Rendon is going to get paid top billing and Donaldson coming off a big year into a 3b depleted market. 3b has all the makings of a position that's about to be an overpaid bidding war. C seemed like a position where filling it out right would require some wasteful spending.

Narvaez in the fold. 3b is the next position MKE needs to swing a trade to fill. And please that's not a cue to post a Hader to the Mets trade idea.

1b OF (if we choose) P and RP are pretty deep. 3b is pretty rough. I don't think they can do a Rendon contract. I don't want a big multi year deal on a guy as old as Donaldson. I see that worse and a bigger risk than 4 years on Moose. I'd rather roll with Peraza at 3b and kick tires until the trade deadline.

FWIW, Haudricourt thinks Donaldson is out of the Brewers price range.

I sure hope this isn’t the case.

Tom thinks every player is out of the Brewers price range.

well, the good ones basically are...

sorry to say.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The way this market is looking, Donaldson may be looking at 3 years/$75 million. It's not a major leap, IMO, to say that the Brewers wouldn't be interested in that.

I think he'll get a 4th year and top 25M AAV, to be honest.

The way this market is looking, Donaldson may be looking at 3 years/$75 million. It's not a major leap, IMO, to say that the Brewers wouldn't be interested in that.

I think he'll get a 4th year and top 25M AAV, to be honest.

Agreed, with Rendon signing and quite a few teams, Rangers, Nationals, Braves, Brewers plus others, having a need at 3rd. I'm thinking Donaldson will bank $100 million+ over 4 years. Again, that's a pass for me!

Archived