Brewer Fanatic

Omar Narvaez to Brewers for minor league right-hander Adam Hill and a Competitive Balance draft pick.

JimH5
  • Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at more in depth stats he seems above average on framing high pitches and well below average on low pitches. He converted 46.8% of pitches on the corners compared to a league average of 48.4%. Over all of his playtime last year the one metric suggests he cost his team 5 runs over an average catcher on the year. I don't think this is the defensive disaster some are making it out to be. He'll cost us a few runs most likely but he'll make up for it with the bat. It is a downgrade from Grandal but I think C will be a slight net positive for the team as a whole.

Greg Johns

@GregJohnsMLB

Per source, Mariners have trade in place that would send C Omar Narvaez to Milwaukee for RH pitcher Adam Hill, a 22-year-old who is Brewers' No. 24 prospect by MLB Pipeline, as well as a comp draft pick. @Ken_Rosenthal first reported a deal was in the works.

At first glance, this feels like a steal to me. The comp pick likely never reaches the majors and strong likelihood Hill doesn't either.

Greg Johns

@GregJohnsMLB

Per source, Mariners have trade in place that would send C Omar Narvaez to Milwaukee for RH pitcher Adam Hill, a 22-year-old who is Brewers' No. 24 prospect by MLB Pipeline, as well as a comp draft pick. @Ken_Rosenthal first reported a deal was in the works.

Wow, sure looks like a case where his defense is so bad that the Mariners didn't want him on the roster.

Greg Johns

@GregJohnsMLB

This, IMO, would be just fine to send over for Mr. Narvaez.

He is likely to split a good chunk of time and will likely see plenty of PH opportunities being the "best" hitter when on the bench. It would be nice if he can produce in that type of capacity too.

Most of the time teams don't use their backup catcher in a pinch hitting role to protect themselves against injury to the guy starting. Pina didn't have a ton of pinch hit opportunities last year. This changes if they carry 3 catchers with the 26-man roster.

Greg Johns

@GregJohnsMLB

Stealin' Stearns is at it again!!! :laughing

That's a light return if I ever saw one.

Greg Johns

@GregJohnsMLB

This, IMO, would be just fine to send over for Mr. Narvaez.

Yup, agreed.

Hill was pretty impressive at times in Appleton last year, but if it means we get to keep Small, Ashby, and Rasmussen, I'm good!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

As recently as October 31 Baseball Trade Values assigned Omar Narvaez with a surplus value of $11.9 million before downgrading Narvaez last month to a surplus value of $5.1 million.

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/teams/478/

According to that website, a trade of Narvaez for Ethan Small and Drew Rasmussen would be fair even under the downgraded assessment of Narvaez.

It will be interesting to learn Seattle's return on the trade of Narvaez.

Or Adam Hill ... another college arm, but without the big upside of Small or Rasmussen. If I'm a Mariners fan, I'm disappointed in the return ... although the comp pick is nice.

MLB teams just simply don't tend to value no defense offensive bats that much these days. It is lower than I thought, but not shocking. They almost get valued like they aren't a full starter most of the time. These types of players can be a great value for teams that can afford to or lessen that defensive deficiency. Much like the Brewers hiding Hiura's atrocious defense with Arcia last year (as much as they could).

It is a good trade for the Brewers as he fits perfectly into their plans with Pina. Good duo.

Haudricourt seemingly dismissed the notion that Ashby would be an acceptable return for Narvaez on twitter. He seems to think we'll be giving up more, hopefully he's wrong but that makes sense.

I think the delay was Stearns waiting for Haudricourt to tweet something like the above and then promptly provide yet another reason for us to ridicule our "well-connected Brewers expert" beat writer...

Haudricourt seemingly dismissed the notion that Ashby would be an acceptable return for Narvaez on twitter. He seems to think we'll be giving up more, hopefully he's wrong but that makes sense.

I think the delay was Stearns waiting for Haudricourt to tweet something like the above and then promptly provide yet another reason for us to ridicule our "well-connected Brewers expert" beat writer...

This guy is such a bum its unbelievable. Can't stand his snarky attitude about everything, that added to the fact that hes very rarely right makes for a bad combination.

Have people not realized Haudricourt is just a terrible "insider" and pretty clueless on most things? He is too far up the Brewer's rear to be useful in giving relevant information.

I would rather read Bob Nightengale info on the Brewers.

Christopher Crawford

@Crawford_MILB

3m

I'll also add that I doubt there was a huge market for Narváez. His defensive reputation was going to limit the return, and maybe justifiably so. I don't think his glove is as bad as everyone says, but, saying I'm in the minority here is an understatement.

Christopher Crawford

@Crawford_MILB

And that being said, this is a coup for the Brewers. Even if Narvaez is the worst framer in the history of framers, he can hit, and they gave up a 40-grade prospect and a draft pick that was handed to them because reasons. Good deal.

Matthew Trueblood

@MATrueblood

8m

How is this all the M’s got? Jerry, I love you, but you’re losing it fast lately.

This guy is such a bum its unbelievable. Can't stand his snarky attitude about everything, that added to the fact that hes very rarely right makes for a bad combination.

He basically answers snark with snark. Brewers Twitter is a cesspool. Hard to blame him.

Have people not realized Haudricourt is just a terrible "insider" and pretty clueless on most things? He is too far up the Brewer's rear to be useful in giving relevant information.

It's still funny every time a light gets shown on that fact

Archived