Brewer Fanatic

Omar Narvaez to Brewers for minor league right-hander Adam Hill and a Competitive Balance draft pick.

JimH5
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

According the Baseball Reference, the only two guys in MLB history with last names starting with "NARV" are Chris Narveson and the recently acquired Omar Narvaez.

So...there's that.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently Seattle couldn’t wait to get rid of him according to the Athletic because of low hitting advance metrics and that he would slow down the development of their young pitching.

Might explain the relatively low cost, though I don’t like trading picks when you have one of the worsts farms in the game.

According the Baseball Reference, the only two guys in MLB history with last names starting with "NARV" are Chris Narveson and the recently acquired Omar Narvaez.

So...there's that.

So what you're saying is.... We can revive Narvdog?!?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I don't get the appeal with Nottingham. He is not that young anymore for someone who hasn't shown any ability to play at this level. His last 3 non Colorado Springs aided minor league seasons he couldn't even crack a .700 OPS in the minor leagues and couldn't hit last year in the PCL where nearly everyone hits. Not a good sign at all for a player who is considered a bat first catcher.

I'm ok with letting him ride it out on the 40 for one more year in San Antonio and see what happens, but he simply hasn't progressed enough to be a default part of our future plans.

It’s been frequently said that catchers develop slower than others because they need to learn so much. He’s turned his defense into a plus, and still has tremendous BP power that hopefully will translate some day

So...there's that.

We can and we must.

So...there's that.

We can and we must.

Nope. “El Narvdog!”

I get why people factor in team valuation and an owner's overall wealth when they ask for their favorite team to spend more. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

The part that always floors me is how people think the owner's money and team's cash are just co-mingling in an account somewhere. The team's finances are separate from the owner's personal wealth and finances. Do people think an owner is just supposed to write a personal check to cover what the team doesn't have in the bank? Or for more realistic and practical purposes, should they wire 100 million from their personal account to the team account? Even if it were that simple which it's not, would you do that?

It's incredible how clueless some people are about this across a ll sports. Never ceases to amaze me.

Apparently Seattle couldn’t wait to get rid of him according to the Athletic because of low hitting advance metrics and that he would slow down the development of their young pitching.

Might explain the relatively low cost, though I don’t like trading picks when you have one of the worsts farms in the game.

Only real point of optimism in this was the writer did credit Narvaez as being a worker and having a desire to improve his defense. It just sounds like he is such a non-athlete that there just isn't much hope for any defensive improvement.

But yeah, it's pretty obvious that Seattle didn't want him on the roster next year and it's not real encouraging that the Brewers were the highest bidder considering their bid wasn't all that much. I do find it likely that DiPoto really overvalues the draft pick.

Personally with any NL Catcher who hurts you defensively... get him a 1B glove to work on until DH finally comes. If he can play 1B a little with his bat still in line up & have Pina be the great D catcher & game caller he is, that’d be great.

Brewers have been able to pride themselves on D up the middle from catcher to CF. They have been one of the elite run saved teams over past few years but with El Narvdog, Huira, & swapping out Arcia... we lose a lot of that. Hopefully offense outweighs the hurdles we may face defensively. Back to the mid to late 2000s strategy. Mash the ball, maybe play defense occasionally along the way

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I’m very happy about getting Narvaez. And I’m also happy that we have kept Pina. I wonder if Nottingham will be part of an upcoming trade...

One of Stearns' driving principles of roster construction is having good depth. Trading Nottingham would seem to go against that idea.

I'm not in love with the player Nottingham is right now, but I'm not inclined to rule out the possibility that he could grow into a more productive/useful player over time. . . . Heck, Manny Pina had only 17 plate appearances over 5 games in the majors before the Brewers got him and brought him up when he was 29. As other already noted, Nottingham's only 24.

Mario Feliciano has an ETA of 2020 per MLB Pipeline - so Nottingham has some time, but the clock is ticking to a degree. Then there is Payton Henry, David Fry, and Nick Kahle behind Feliciano, not to mention Cooper Hummel and Thomas Dillard.

I won't give away Nottingham, but if I can use him to fill holes, I won't object.

Clancy come on buddy. You follow the MiLB boys way too closely to use the pipeline ETA on the 21 year old pup Feliciano. He only got his feet wet in AA at the tail end of the year. His ETA isn't any sooner than roster expansions in 2021. He was drafted very young. Henry's behind him. They also took their time with Fry despite him being 24. None of these guys are ETA 2020.

Cooper didn't even catch this year.

Dillard caught 3 innings this year. He's a 1b/OF

Nottingham is unchallenged by the farm until Feliciano or Kahle run him down. That's a 21 year old in AA and a 21 year old in A+. That's not happening this year. Team has 4 interesting young catchers though. Also a defensive plus (only is seems) guy in Max McDowell. If you don't count the guy in his prime we added today.

Nottingham McDowell in AAA

Feliciano and probably Henry in AA

Kahle and Fry in A+ (and if Fry doesn't start in A+ you can safely assume they don't see him as a contender in this group)

I’m very happy about getting Narvaez. And I’m also happy that we have kept Pina. I wonder if Nottingham will be part of an upcoming trade...

One of Stearns' driving principles of roster construction is having good depth. Trading Nottingham would seem to go against that idea.

I'm not in love with the player Nottingham is right now, but I'm not inclined to rule out the possibility that he could grow into a more productive/useful player over time. . . . Heck, Manny Pina had only 17 plate appearances over 5 games in the majors before the Brewers got him and brought him up when he was 29. As other already noted, Nottingham's only 24.

Mario Feliciano has an ETA of 2020 per MLB Pipeline - so Nottingham has some time, but the clock is ticking to a degree. Then there is Payton Henry, David Fry, and Nick Kahle behind Feliciano, not to mention Cooper Hummel and Thomas Dillard.

I won't give away Nottingham, but if I can use him to fill holes, I won't object.

Feliciano played 3 games at AA last year and is scheduled for Biloxi this year. Earliest ETA maybe 2021. He has to improve his defense at the lower levels before even being considered for the big leagues.

MLB Network brought up a good point in how significantly Robinson Chirinos improved his defensive numbers last year with the move from the Rangers to the Astros. If the Brewers can help Narvaez make similar steps towards defensive competency then this deal should prove to be an absolute steal.

Robinson Chirinos Example

2018 (Rangers): 108 games; -11 DRS; -11.8 Framing Runs; 10.2% Caught Stealing; 0.3 fWAR

2019 (Astros): 112 games; 3 DRS; -5.6 Framing Runs; 21.1% Caught Stealing; 2.3 fWAR

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I don't get the appeal with Nottingham. He is not that young anymore for someone who hasn't shown any ability to play at this level. His last 3 non Colorado Springs aided minor league seasons he couldn't even crack a .700 OPS in the minor leagues and couldn't hit last year in the PCL where nearly everyone hits. Not a good sign at all for a player who is considered a bat first catcher.

I'm ok with letting him ride it out on the 40 for one more year in San Antonio and see what happens, but he simply hasn't progressed enough to be a default part of our future plans.

It’s been frequently said that catchers develop slower than others because they need to learn so much. He’s turned his defense into a plus, and still has tremendous BP power that hopefully will translate some day

That's my thought/hope as well. IIRC, when he was acquired there was talk of moving him off catcher so his bat could move through the system quickly. He wanted to focus on catching, which could have a negative effect on the offensive side of his game.

That might just be wishful thinking, but catchers often make it to the majors later than other positions, so I'm still hoping he can continue to improve and maybe be ready to step in as Pina's replacement in a year or so. This acquisition allows him to continue his development in San Antonio in more of a full time role instead of getting thrown to the wolves at the MLB level.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So...there's that.

NarvPerro, maybe?

This feels to me like a Doug Melvin offseason much more than a David Stearns led franchise. The complete lack of regard for defense is shocking and quite astonishing. Are we really supposed to believe that playing Urias and Narvaez every day won't hurt us big time defensively. Both trades on the surface are fine value wise but I especially hate playing bad defensive players at shortstop and especially catcher. I still trust Stearns but these moves don't make much sense to me for a GM that usually values defense.

This feels to me like a Doug Melvin offseason much more than a David Stearns led franchise. The complete lack of regard for defense is shocking and quite astonishing. Are we really supposed to believe that playing Urias and Narvaez every day won't hurt us big time defensively. Both trades on the surface are fine value wise but I especially hate playing bad defensive players at shortstop and especially catcher. I still trust Stearns but these moves don't make much sense to me for a GM that usually values defense.

This is a team that has stuck two different lumbering 3B at 2B the last two seasons, and they managed to make that work. They gave playing time to a very defensively challenged catcher in Stephen Vogt in a playoff chase in 2017, and went with another ancient defensively challenged one in Erik Kratz in 2018, and they made that work.

I trust them to make this work as well.

Might just be that David Stearns likes players he can pick up at a value. I'm also worried about our defense, but when we needed a catcher and Seattle was putting a good catcher on the discount rack, it's probably good that Stearns picked him up.

The money saved by getting Narvaez instead of signing a free agent should make it easier to afford the 1B, 3B and pitchers we still need.

It is probably good that we have a 26th man this year. That might make it easier to sub in defensive players late in games.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This feels nothing like a Melvin off-season because we haven't signed anyone in their mid30s uet

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Personally with any NL Catcher who hurts you defensively... get him a 1B glove to work on until DH finally comes. If he can play 1B a little with his bat still in line up & have Pina be the great D catcher & game caller he is, that’d be great.

Is a .800 OPS really going to be that flashy at DH? It’s not even impressive at 1B as it let alone someone who doesn’t even play the field period.

Archived