Brewer Fanatic

Omar Narvaez to Brewers for minor league right-hander Adam Hill and a Competitive Balance draft pick.

JimH5
  • Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh not a fan of this one. We should’ve brought Grandal back

We acquired a top 20 prospect to play SS and you said how he’s just another Arcia. You complained that the Brewers are being cheap because they didn’t break the bank to bring Moose back on a long term. You then complained yesterday and said that the Brewers need to do something (because acquiring a solid rotation arm with 5 years of control and a starting SS for 6 years three days earlier is nothing?). And now today, we bring in a guy that is a top 5 offensive catcher in the game, arguably top 3. Who will also hit .275 with close to 25 homers. And gave up essentially nothing. Yet, you complain saying we should of brought back Grandal.

We will be getting arguably the same offensive production for only $3 million instead of $18 million, keeping financial flexibility in the future, while opening up $15 million to be spent on other upgrades RIGHT NOW. Yes the defense will be worse, but you need to give and take a little to bring in additional talent for other places on the roster. And who’s to say he won’t improve defensively?

What in the world would make you happy?? Obviously young, controllable MLB talent isn’t it.

We acquired a top 20 prospect to play SS and you said how he’s just another Arcia. You complained that the Brewers are being cheap because they didn’t break the bank to bring Moose back on a long term. You then complained yesterday and said that the Brewers need to do something (because acquiring a solid rotation arm with 5 years of control and a starting SS for 6 years three days earlier is nothing?). And now today, we bring in a guy that is a top 5 offensive catcher in the game, arguably top 3. Who will also hit .275 with close to 25 homers. And gave up essentially nothing. Yet, you complain saying we should of brought back Grandal.

We will be getting arguably the same offensive production for only $3 million instead of $18 million, keeping financial flexibility in the future, while opening up $15 million to be spent on other upgrades RIGHT NOW. Yes the defense will be worse, but you need to give and take a little to bring in additional talent for other places on the roster. And who’s to say he won’t improve defensively?

What in the world would make you happy?? Obviously young, controllable MLB talent isn’t it.

NAMZ!!!!!!!!! BRING ME ALL DA NAMZ!!!!!!

Yaa gotta love people who knowingly and willing root for the smallest market team who you know can't sign big FAs and have to operate frugally, then complain about it. You know going in that you're the underdog and at a huge disadvantage. Might as well accept the reality or just be a Sox, Yanks, Cubs or Dodgers fan.

As frustrating as it does get at times not being able to spend a ton of money and just buy players, it is also pretty great the last few seasons of piecing together resources and beating out other teams. I hope we continue to do that more often than not. I think baseball fans who get it, appreciate it more and more.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Grandal age 27 season:

.228/339/477/816

Narvaez age 27 season:

278/353/460/813

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Does anyone know the list of Top 30 prospects well enough to tell me who the new addition is to replace Adam Hill? I noticed he has already been taken down off the MLB list.

I think they added Catcher prospect Nick Kahle (Drafted 2019, 4th (133) - MIL) to their updated list, but I'm not 100% sure of this.

I'm pretty certain that #30 prospect Clayton Andrews was already on the list, however.

Yaa gotta love people who knowingly and willing root for the smallest market team who you know can't sign big FAs and have to operate frugally, then complain about it. You know going in that you're the underdog and at a huge disadvantage. Might as well accept the reality or just be a Sox, Yanks, Cubs or Dodgers fan.

The Brewers were purchased by Mark for $250 million. They’ve been recently valued at $1.15 Billion...

I think, as loyal fans who buy the tickets & buy the merch etc, we have a right to think that Mark can spend more money to improve the team. He is gaining multi-generational wealth just from owning the team. I want a World Series Championship.

I’m happy with the recent trends. We have a smart new(er) GM, who I think is light years better than Melvin was. Mark has increased the payroll. I think he can spend more...

I will never cry a river over concern as to whether Mark earns $800 million owning the Brewers or $500 million. And I really don’t think feeling that way makes me a Yankees fan...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

...are you estimating some nebulous concept of "market value" whatever that means

Market value is simple. There are are sellers and buyers. Sellers put "asks" out, and buyers place "bids." The highest bid that matches up with an ask is the current market price.

It changes regularly, and in a market of only 30 MLB teams, the value difference among the bids and asks could be immense. Therefore, if there are two similar players on the market, there may only be one team that is looking for that type of player who is willing to put a good bid out there, so the first team to make a trade gets a haul, while the second team is left with scraps. The market adjustment would be swift and severe in that case. The market price is simply what someone was willing to pay for a certain player at a certain time.

Adjustments in market price have zero bearing on how a player will perform. When a player is traded or signs a free agent deal, he is the same player, regardless who he is traded for or how much he made in free agency. It's simply the price one team was willing to pay for that player at that time. The highest bid that meets the ask gets the player.

Just a guess, but in the Urias deal I think the Padres were the "buyer" and made the bid. I think they really wanted Grisham so they placed a high bid to get him. That's just a guess and in the end it doesn't matter. His market value for that day to that team was the price that was paid.

The value of each individual player is different to each team. They all have their methodology for how to value players, and they have strengths and weaknesses in their own franchise that dictates their individual needs. For instance, the Brewers may really like another catcher, but since they just traded for one, they won't be putting a bid out for another, and if they had any bids they're now off the table (potentially adjusting the market). Fan sites that try to give values are great for fans that want to have a greater understanding of things, but MLB teams are not going to go to those sites to figure out trades. They have their own valuations. Some will be better than others, so thankfully for the Brewers it looks like we have a management team that's pretty good at making these valuations.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think a lot of us are just skeptical that the poor little Brewers sob story and their frugal operations over the years are also an easy way to keep making more and more money while saying "aw shucks, we sure tried".

The Brewers were purchased by Mark for $250 million. They’ve been recently valued at $1.15 Billion...

I think, as loyal fans who buy the tickets & buy the merch etc, we have a right to think that Mark can spend more money to improve the team. He is gaining multi-generational wealth just from owning the team. I want a World Series Championship.

I’m happy with the recent trends. We have a smart new(er) GM, who I think is light years better than Melvin was. Mark has increased the payroll. I think he can spend more...

I will never cry a river over concern as to whether Mark earns $800 million owning the Brewers or $500 million. And I really don’t think feeling that way makes me a Yankees fan...

He has not gained a penny off the teams valuation because to do so he would have to sell the team. From what I understand the kids have an interest in the team and it is unlikely Mark A. himself ever sells the team.

Their year to year earnings are a different story, but that probably is not as prosperous as some think. I doubt he makes mega piles of money to swim in. He tends to push payroll farther than any other Brewer owner (hypothetically) ever would.

I think a lot of us are just skeptical that the poor little Brewers sob story and their frugal operations over the years are also an easy way to keep making more and more money while saying "aw shucks, we sure tried".

You can be skeptical, but it doesn't mean that you're definitely right....

Every team's fanbase ... even the Yankees and Dodgers ... want their teams to spend more. Because it's not our money. But every team does have a limit, and the reasons' for the Brewers spending limits in particular have been pointed out repeatedly here. Would I like for the Brewers to go out and buy Gerrit Cole and Anthony Rendon today? As a fan, sure. But I also want the team to be well run, and those types of moves, given the market and financial constraints that are always going to be there under the current financial environment in MLB, are probably not the most intelligent.

So personally speaking here I feel Grandal and Narvaez are a lot more comparable offensively than some may think. Actually Narvaez could outhit Grandal the next three years and I wouldn't even flinch. So now you ask yourself is Grandal's defense (which isn't great either) worth handing out a mega contract to a 30+ year old catcher?

To be honest I think we will be really glad to have Pina/Narvaez (plus whatever we spend the extra cash on) over Grandal. Even with the defense shortcomings of Narvaez.

I’m very happy about getting Narvaez. And I’m also happy that we have kept Pina. I wonder if Nottingham will be part of an upcoming trade...

I wonder if teams will be using that extra roster spot for a 3rd catcher. Narvaez could see time at 1st too Stearns said. I think Nottingham would have a chance to stick on the roster.

I think Nottingham should work his bag off, crush AAA pitching, and take Pina’s spot a year from now. Heck, I’ll take later this season if he pushes it. Keep the youth.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So personally speaking here I feel Grandal and Narvaez are a lot more comparable offensively than some may think. Actually Narvaez could outhit Grandal the next three years and I wouldn't even flinch. So now you ask yourself is Grandal's defense (which isn't great either) worth handing out a mega contract to a 30+ year old catcher?

To be honest I think we will be really glad to have Pina/Narvaez (plus whatever we spend the extra cash on) over Grandal. Even with the defense shortcomings of Narvaez.

This is a very good take that I agree with completely. I'd also add that it is very likely the Brewers think they can help improve his defense.

Nottingham should probably figure out how to not hit sub .700 at AAA all year. Outside of his short AAA stint in 2018 he has been terrible with the Brewers. I would like to see more out of him before he gets an MLB job.

I also don't see the movement to 3 catchers happening. Most teams don't have one good catcher and nearly all don't have two good catchers. Three? I don't think so, just not seeing it.

I essentially agree with Plush's sentiment a few posts back. Think he's spot on.

I think they should hold Nottingham as it's inevitable catchers get hurt. Plus, as Pina's price goes up in coming years if Nottingham does well that's a few mil they can save.

I agree it will be rare to use the extra spot on Cs outside of rare circumstances. I suppose you could say if we play Narvaez at 1B a lot that would qualify as a rare circumstance though. But in general teams, especially NL ones are going to want the flexible guys and better hitters. Or another P if they're allowed, can't recall if they ever finalized the P limit and all that.

It's a baseball team, not a charity. The Brewers winning a championship isn't going to result in world peace and the end of disease and poverty. Look at the history of the franchise when it comes to spending big money on player contracts and temper expectations accordingly.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Archived