Brewer Fanatic

Zack Wheeler to Phillies - 5 years/$118

I'd be swearing up a storm if we signed this deal with him. 23.6 mil. 5 years

MKE could sign Kuechel and Pineda/Miley for the same amount if MLBTR is close and they wouldn't have to give a 4th year to anyone.

Give me 2 of Pineda/Miley/Teheran and add in Lyles for that money

Wheeler has incredible potential. He's 29 and dealt with injuries. You want to risk him til 34? No thank you. Even if he has a few 3.5 years in there. No thank you.

Definite "stud" arms right there! They would lead them to the World Series...one of the most feared rotations in all of baseball. Stearns must be waiting for the "blow out sale"...Everything must go! no reasonable offer refused!

Can they throw 4.0 ERAs? Can they get through the batting order 2 times in the playoffs? That's truly all you need.

Team ERA was 4.4 last year. We need it around 3.8. Woodruff and the pen should drop it from the 4 ERA we NEED from the starting 2-5.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MKE could sign Kuechel and Pineda/Miley for the same amount if MLBTR is close and they wouldn't have to give a 4th year to anyone.

Wheeler has incredible potential. He's 29 and dealt with injuries. You want to risk him til 34? No thank you. Even if he has a few 3.5 years in there. No thank you.

Definite "stud" arms right there! They would lead them to the World Series...one of the most feared rotations in all of baseball. Stearns must be waiting for the "blow out sale"...Everything must go! no reasonable offer refused!

You need to chill out. You are absolutely not giving anyone a good look right now.

it's entirely possible that the front office has decided that this off-season with a weak free agent class is not a good season to be spenders. It may not mean punting on the season, but it could mean a season of seeing some guys who are place holders for one year. If you spend just to spend this year or trade for guys just to get them to make ABSOLUTELY SURE you can chase 86 wins this year, there's a chance that they could be limiting their options to go after a better crop of free agents next year.

I'm not saying that's what's going on, but this is not a great free agent class, and spending just to spend isn't always the best strategy.

Not a good Free agent class?? How much better do you want for headliners then Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg and Anthony Rendon?? Add in their very own FA's in Moose and Grandal...that's a pretty damn good top of FA class if you ask me, and sadly, not a single one of them will be wearing a Brewers uniform.

Wheeler seems like a slightly better version of Nathan Eovaldi - big arm, injuries, inconsistent results. Eovaldi got a 4-year deal... not looking like a good investment so far.

I bolded the key word for you..POTENTIAL. How about replacing the proven talent that left(Pom, Moose, Grandal) with equal or better talent??

Ok, be honest here... this response implies that you haven't actually looked up Smith or anything about him. He out OPS'd both Moustakas and Grandall last year, as a 24 year old.

If you're not at least going to take the time to at least look into players before you dismiss them as unworthy acquisitions, that's not a good look.

You're apparently enamored with names, and if they don't get names, you're angry and frustrated. As I said before, I think you're likely in for an offseason of anger and frustration if that's your mentality. The Brewers are doing what they feel they need to do to win, and they're likely 1000x more likely to get it right.

Can they throw 4.0 ERAs? Can they get through the batting order 2 times in the playoffs? That's truly all you need.

Team ERA was 4.4 last year. We need it around 3.8. Woodruff and the pen should drop it from the 4 ERA we NEED from the starting 2-5.

Need it better than that with the little offense they will have it appears

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
DO NOT run another thread off the rails, dude.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Go back and look at the fierce offense we had in 2018. It was not impressive. It had no Grandal. It didn't have Moose until the deadline. Shaw was playing well but 2b wasn't Hiura. Grandal and Moose were needed to save the rotation from their youth last year. Then the pen got shook by Knebel. It never settled in until Houser Lyles and Pom stabilized it towards the end. We obviously can't go into the season without a 1b or with Arcia at 3b. I highly doubt that's what they'll do and it doesn't take a big signing to replace Villar/Perez/Sogards 2b production at 3b. It doesn't take a big signing to replace Aguilar and Thames, they weren't big signings themselves.

2018 was about stability. 2019 had a complete lack of stability. This team can win a lot of games and go a long way on merely bringing back stability.

however the big difference this year is they have what, 10 players to replace?? 10!! Not just one or two...10!

You mean 10 players from a 2019 team that you literally gave up on in August as they hovered around .500? Remember that? You completely gave up on the team and announced to everyone that you were done and that it was time for Packer season. You denounced the acquisitions of Lyles and Pomeranz big time, while in reality those two turned out to be the "needle movers" you were so upset with the team for not acquiring. You refuse to acknowledge anyone who tells you to be patient and have a little faith in the guys that are running this club.

Like I said before ... not a good look. At all.

I bolded the key word for you..POTENTIAL. How about replacing the proven talent that left(Pom, Moose, Grandal) with equal or better talent??

Ok, be honest here... this response implies that you haven't actually looked up Smith or anything about him. He out OPS'd both Moustakas and Grandall last year, as a 24 year old.

If you're not at least going to take the time to at least look into players before you dismiss them as unworthy acquisitions, that's not a good look.

You're apparently enamored with names, and if they don't get names, you're angry and frustrated. As I said before, I think you're likely in for an offseason of anger and frustration if that's your mentality. The Brewers are doing what they feel they need to do to win, and they're likely 1000x more likely to get it right.

It's NOT about names, it's about PROVEN, sustained talent. That's what i'm interested in them acquiring. Not guys with "potential"(although you can have a couple of those, sure), not guys who MIGHT rebound after an inexplicably bad year...PROVEN talent that's done it for more than a year or two.

You can't have a team full of "mights" or "potential" guys and expect to be consistent year in and year out. It's funny because so many people didn't want Shaw back(I agree with the decision to let him go), because they were worried about him NOT rebounding and saying the Brewers need better than that and if you can't count on him, it's too risky. Yet, these are the same guys that everyone wants them to sign.."risky" guys. How does that make any sense??

As far as Dominic Smith goes...I'm insulted you say i don't know who he is..I know EXACTLY who he is..to this point in his career(3 years) he hasn't proven a thing, other than he MIGHT have some potential. He's never had more than 177 AB's in a season..(in which he struck out 44 times), never hit more than 11 HR's(this last year). VERY small sample size..but if everyone wants to get all excited and mess themselves over what he MIGHT become, more power to you. Again, give me the proven, sustained talent, at least until Yelich is gone.

it's entirely possible that the front office has decided that this off-season with a weak free agent class is not a good season to be spenders. It may not mean punting on the season, but it could mean a season of seeing some guys who are place holders for one year. If you spend just to spend this year or trade for guys just to get them to make ABSOLUTELY SURE you can chase 86 wins this year, there's a chance that they could be limiting their options to go after a better crop of free agents next year.

I'm not saying that's what's going on, but this is not a great free agent class, and spending just to spend isn't always the best strategy.

Not a good Free agent class?? How much better do you want for headliners then Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg and Anthony Rendon?? Add in their very own FA's in Moose and Grandal...that's a pretty damn good top of FA class if you ask me, and sadly, not a single one of them will be wearing a Brewers uniform.

The Brewers have never and will never sign players like Cole and Strasburg. That's just how it is for a small market team and you need to accept that otherwise every year will be a disappointment for you. If you are looking for teams to shell out huge FA contracts there is a team about 90 miles south that might be a better fit for you.

Now, more than ever, analytics allow teams to compete and be successful without shelling out crippling contracts. This is baseball, anything can happen. Get into the playoffs and you have a chance. The Royals went to back to back WS in '14 and '15 and the Brewers were 1 game away from the WS in '18 and neither team had an "Ace" or a great starting pitching staff (in terms of names, not production)

however the big difference this year is they have what, 10 players to replace?? 10!! Not just one or two...10!

You mean 10 players from a 2019 team that you literally gave up on in August as they hovered around .500? Remember that? You completely gave up on the team and announced to everyone that you were done and that it was time for Packer season. You denounced the acquisitions of Lyles and Pomeranz big time, while in reality those two turned out to be the "needle movers" you were so upset with the team for not acquiring. You refuse to acknowledge anyone who tells you to be patient and have a little faith in the guys that are running this club.

Mic drop.

Miley 247 innings in the last 2 years with sub 4 ERA

Teheran 1360 innings with a career ERA of 3.67

Pineda 826 IP career with a 4.04 ERA.

What level of talent are you looking for?

You want them to blow out 62 mil a year for the next 6 years on Stras and Rendon? It's very much so about names. You want stars. Be happy as heck MKE has Yelich Hader and Hiura. They haven't had a STAR not named Braun since Fielder up until the last few years. 2012 to 2018 good sir. Who was the star? Lucroy?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Long off-season, and we all have different ideas how we want things to go. We don't need to re-post certain posts in every thread, and we don't need to tell other posters repeatedly that their ideas are wrong. Let's have some civil discussion about stuff and stay on topic.

The Brewers have never and will never sign players like Cole and Strasburg. That's just how it is for a small market team and you need to accept that otherwise every year will be a disappointment for you.

And I guess I don't have a problem with that considering the organization's history of pitching. I personally guarantee, the first time the Brewers give a pitcher a multi-year contract that totals over 20 million per season(*), that pitcher's throwing arm will fall right off his body within the first month of the deal. That's an absolute, 100% guarantee to happen. And every Brewer fan out there knows that's exactly what will happen.

* = not saying it will happen soon, but baseball inflation will eventually get us there.

When did an opinion that differs become “not a good look”?

Wondering the same thing. I'm not currently in "the sky is falling" mode or anything, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't concern in the back of my mind that this franchise (with its history of futility and slashing payroll) was going to slash payroll and say "we tried".

To question someone's fandom because they want the billionaire owner to spend, and keep telling them their opinion isn't a good look seems a bit over the top.

This front office is not above criticism. But when every post turns into a bashing session of the team's front office, that's exactly what it is.

But back to Wheeler. I don't see that contract working out for the Phillies. But they have the money to eat it, so it isn't going to matter too much to them in the long run.

Go back and look at the fierce offense we had in 2018. It was not impressive. It had no Grandal. It didn't have Moose until the deadline. Shaw was playing well but 2b wasn't Hiura. Grandal and Moose were needed to save the rotation from their youth last year. Then the pen got shook by Knebel. It never settled in until Houser Lyles and Pom stabilized it towards the end. We obviously can't go into the season without a 1b or with Arcia at 3b. I highly doubt that's what they'll do and it doesn't take a big signing to replace Villar/Perez/Sogards 2b production at 3b. It doesn't take a big signing to replace Aguilar and Thames, they weren't big signings themselves.

2018 was about stability. 2019 had a complete lack of stability. This team can win a lot of games and go a long way on merely bringing back stability.

Absolutely. Yelich will be Yelich. Braun is Braun. Urias will be an upgrade at SS. Hiura up all season is an upgrade at second base. Cain will at the least do what he did this year, but will most likely rebound SOME. So essentially, we’ve upgraded two positions, will see improvement from one, and downgraded at catcher. Starting pitching, we are about even with Lauer brought in. At this point, I would say they are sitting pretty good. The offseason has been pretty successful to this point.

Oh, and all of this has been done while also trimming $55 million in payroll to be put towards other upgrades, which I’m sure will include “proven” talent being brought in.

This team has a GREAT core: Yelich, Hiura, Cain, Braun, Woodruff, Hader, and Knebel

We have guys who could breakout and become big contributors: Hauser, Urias, Peralta, maybe Rasmussen?

Guys who have shown greatness and could bounce back: Burnes

And solid contributors: Lauer and Suter

This is a solid team already without the addition of a premier free agent...

Excuse me?? I like the Pomeranz move..But anyway, whatever you do you and keep on keeping on...you just said that you like how fast FA is moving this year..as someone above pointed out to you...and I will again, because you maybe don't get it...every FA that signs now without the Brewers signing one, means that player won't be playing with the Brewers next year. Got it?? 10 players is a lot to fill...the longer you wait, the less available players you have to choose from. Simple concept. That's okay if you only need to fill a spot or two, but they NEED a 3B, a 1B, a competent offensive starting catcher, at least TWO starting pitchers, bullpen arms and some bench depth. But...you and many others are comfortable with the Brewers "dumpster diving" because that appears as what they will be doing.

I mean I see people gettng excited about the possibility of signing a 37 year old Howie Kendrick to play 1B...really?? Because you are all absolutely certain he will repeat at 37 what he did this last year?? If he does...great signing, but it's more likely he doesn't. I mean, all of you didn't want to sign Moose or Grandal to 4 year deals because they would be to old right?? Yet, would be fine with signing 37 year old Howie Kendrick. :laughing

Wondering the same thing. I'm not currently in "the sky is falling" mode or anything, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't concern in the back of my mind that this franchise (with its history of futility and slashing payroll) was going to slash payroll and say "we tried".

To question someone's fandom because they want the billionaire owner to spend, and keep telling them their opinion isn't a good look seems a bit over the top.

Over the top? Perhaps singling him out is unjustified, but given the history of this particular poster, who has a long history of calling out this team's front office in a very dramatic fashion, I think some kick back is justified.

Archived