Brewer Fanatic

Nolan Arenado

I see a report out today that the Cubs are highly motivated to work out a deal with the Rockies to get Arenado - in exchange for Bryant and a prospect. Ugh....if that actually materializes. I would imagine that the Cubs would need Nolen to waive his opt-out clause in his contract that comes up in a couple of years to make this type of a move.

If this happens, I guess we just have to hope that his numbers take a dip when he doesn't get to play 1/2 his games in the thin air of Colorado.

If this were to happen, Stearns should be on the phone with Colorado and asking what it would take to get Bryant. That roster is not ready to win now, Bryant is only under contract until after 2021, and Colorado trading Arenado for Bryant would, in my opinion, be motivated only to get out of Arenado's contract.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I see a report out today that the Cubs are highly motivated to work out a deal with the Rockies to get Arenado - in exchange for Bryant and a prospect. Ugh....if that actually materializes. I would imagine that the Cubs would need Nolen to waive his opt-out clause in his contract that comes up in a couple of years to make this type of a move.

If this happens, I guess we just have to hope that his numbers take a dip when he doesn't get to play 1/2 his games in the thin air of Colorado.

They'd dip but he was still an 866 OPS guy away from Coors last year. So he'd be Bryant more or less with better defense.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Why would he be willing to waive it?

If this were to happen, Stearns should be on the phone with Colorado and asking what it would take to get Bryant. That roster is not ready to win now, Bryant is only under contract until after 2021, and Colorado trading Arenado for Bryant would, in my opinion, be motivated only to get out of Arenado's contract.

Now this would be amazing if we could somehow pull that off! Rockies have Brendan Rodgers ready to step into their IF somewhere, so I'm sure they could shuffle some guys around to fill 3B.

Again though - would we even be able to put together a package good enough to get 2 years of Bryant? I'm guessing we'd have to part with one of Burnes/Freddy, then throw in Turang and maybe a Feliciano or Ashby?

Pipe dream that something like this would happen, but boy it would make the Brewers/Cubs rivalry even more spicy over the next couple of seasons!

Again though - would we even be able to put together a package good enough to get 2 years of Bryant? I'm guessing we'd have to part with one of Burnes/Freddy, then throw in Turang and maybe a Feliciano or Ashby?

If the Brewers could acquire Bryant from the Rockies with a Freddy Peralta, Tristan Lutz and Trey Supak deal, that would be pretty sweet.

That type of deal doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for the Rockies, but that front office is pretty bad. Hopefully that doesn't happen unless the Cubs are sending some really good prospects back to Colorado.

Other than the fact that the Rockies somewhat stupidly went "all-in" signing a lot of their vets and now are deciding they want to rebuild, the trade makes a lot of sense to me.

You get a prospect and a player arguably almost as good (or as good, depending on belief of Colorado effect) as Nolan Arenado and you're off the hook of any money for your next window of contention. You can also flip Kris Bryant at some point in the next 2 years if you are going into a deep rebuild.

You get out of the contract just as the decline should begin.

The Cubs get an elite player on a fair, yet long deal.

It honestly makes less sense to me for the Cubs. They're trying to get out of luxury tax-land and they trade for a guy that is making double the annual value of Bryant's current arbitration agreement for this year.

I would guess there is some form of salary relief for this year and maybe next coming back from Colorado in this trade. Maybe Tyler Chatwood returns to Colorado in this trade.

If Arenado opts out in 2021, other than the $ and prospect, the deal is a wash.

• 3 weeks later...

With no spot for Corbin Burnes breaking camp in the rotation this spring, would Corbin be a viable trade candidate if he continues to dominate? Would the Crew include Burnes in a deal for Arenado?

Burnes/Turang/D. Williams for Arenado and some cash

If Burnes continues to dominate, he damn well better be in our starting rotation.

I don't think we are in position to trade dominant starting pitching for a guy who will cripple us in salary for the next few years.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

With no spot for Corbin Burnes breaking camp in the rotation this spring, would Corbin be a viable trade candidate if he continues to dominate? Would the Crew include Burnes in a deal for Arenado?

Burnes/Turang/D. Williams for Arenado and some cash

Burnes is 25, and has 5 years of team control remaining. He is also optionable. Why would him not getting a rotation spot at the outset of this season have any bearing on his potential availability in a trade?

I am seeing the idea quite a lot around here lately that the five guys who get rotation spots from the outset are going to be set in stone for the whole year. That simply isn't the case. Didn't like 11 or 12 guys start games for the team last year? Even if guys like Peralta, Burnes or Lauer don't start in the rotation in April, I'd bet all those guys make starts for the team this season. Likely many starts.

How much money would Colorado be willing to pick up? According to Attanasio, the Brewers had an operating loss last season. Probably will be a long, long time until we see an annual 30 million dollar player on the roster.

That contract is going to keep him in Colorado. Same as with just about every guy who signs a monstrous deal. Their team can't afford to surround him with good players and no team can afford to acquire the contract. Player gets disgruntled and demands to be traded and the team eventually eats money to make a crappy trade to get rid of the problem.

That contract is going to keep him in Colorado. Same as with just about every guy who signs a monstrous deal. Their team can't afford to surround him with good players and no team can afford to acquire the contract. Player gets disgruntled and demands to be traded and the team eventually eats money to make a crappy trade to get rid of the problem.

Yup, and the cycle just continues...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

How much money would Colorado be willing to pick up? According to Attanasio, the Brewers had an operating loss last season. Probably will be a long, long time until we see an annual 30 million dollar player on the roster.

The stadium is also crumbling, will soon be unusable.

Let's get crazy...

Could the Brewers afford Arenado for this year and next now that they have cost certainty long-term with Yelich? Even in the highly unlikely event Arenado doesn't opt-out after next season, the Brewers would certainly receive some salary relief in the acquisition (he's owed $70m over the next two seasons). I guess the question is if the Brewers were on the hook for $50m for the next two seasons, could/should they do it?

Let's get crazy...

Could the Brewers afford Arenado for this year and next now that they have cost certainty long-term with Yelich? Even in the highly unlikely event Arenado doesn't opt-out after next season, the Brewers would certainly receive some salary relief in the acquisition (he's owed $70m over the next two seasons). I guess the question is if the Brewers were on the hook for $50m for the next two seasons, could/should they do it?

For the right price... yes.

It may well be that the right price is that the most Colorado gets will be one or two lottery tickets from the DSL/Rookie League levels if they expect the Crew to pick up the entire contract.

Let's get crazy...

For the right price... yes.

It may well be that the right price is that the most Colorado gets will be one or two lottery tickets from the DSL/Rookie League levels if they expect the Crew to pick up the entire contract.

There's absolutely NO way the Brewers would be willing to take on Nolan Arenado's entire contract after the Yelich extension.

The fact that the Brewers have been working on this Yelich extension since October 31st now explains why the Brewers have been so frugal while filling out their roster this offseason. Probably explains why they non-tendered so many players as well.

And yes, the Yelich extension means that moving forward the Brewers simply won't be signing any marquee Starting Pitcher Free Agents to long term deals anytime soon. It just stresses that in order for the Brewers to stay contenders, they simply MUST develop SP from within the organization. Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Small, Ashby, Rasmussen, etc. Developing these SP are going to be the key to the Brewers longterm success IMO.

I do not buy they were being cheap and non tendering players like crazy to afford Yelich. First off, his deal doesn't really start for another 2 years...so giving out one year contracts is woefully meaningless when it comes to Yelich. No way they were penny pinching every dollar to give it all to Yelich in his 30s. Stearns simply is not that stupid. In the grand scheme Yelich will never be a huge burden on the payroll anyway. The salary will be $26mil ($22mil if you consider deferrals)...that simply is not very much money per year these days.

I mean, yah, there is zero chance we go get Arenado (was always zero). Also means we probably won't be signing a FA for $30mil...but again, we knew that anyway.

I do not buy they were being cheap and non tendering players like crazy to afford Yelich.

I think those players were non-tendered because the team determined that they weren't worth the tender offer. The majority of the guys they let go are probably replacement level or below. They replaced those guys with cheaper versions that they feel will provide similar if not better production.

Archived