Brewer Fanatic

Nolan Arenado

Given the moves the Brewers have made to date with the clearing of significant amounts of payroll, could it be they are anticipating acquiring another superstar with a significant contract to pair with Yelich and Hiura in the middle of the lineup? Namely Nolan Arenado. He of the 7 years, $234m deal ($33.4 AAV), but with an opt-out after 2021? That contract, and the opt-out date in particular, seems to fall in line with the Yelich competitive window where Yelich and Cain are both FA after 2022. Given Ryan Braun's contract also comes off the books after the 2020 season (unless the mutual option is exercised) there could be space in the budget for a second superstar like Arenado, especially if the Brewers continue to pay other portions of the roster at smaller, pre-arbitration salaries (Urias, Hiura and the bullpen).

While certainly unlikely, I am beginning to think something big like this is the plan for the Brewers. Maybe not Arenado but a player in that realm. Why else would the Brewers be so willing to shed salary unless Attanasio is in financial trouble that we collectively are unaware of?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would rather just sign Rendon, and keep all the prospects that it would take to get Arenado.

The prospects to get Arenado don't exist. Period. Brice Turang is not enough to start anything close to a deal for Arenado and he's likely our best prospect.

I guess I am looking at it as more of the Brewers taking on Arenado's entire salary and limiting the prospect haul back to the Rockies, similar to the Stanton to Yankees deal. I understand he just recently re-signed with the Rockies but that 2018 playoff team fell apart quickly and they be willing to move that deal.

Like I said, this is highly unlikely and it may not be Arenado, but the idea of adding a second superstar, with a long and large contract, makes a lot of sense given the Brewers moves this offseason.

I guess I am looking at it as more of the Brewers taking on Arenado's entire salary and limiting the prospect haul back to the Rockies, similar to the Stanton to Yankees deal. I understand he just recently re-signed with the Rockies but that 2018 playoff team fell apart quickly and they be willing to move that deal.

Like I said, this is highly unlikely and it may not be Arenado, but the idea of adding a second superstar, with a long and large contract, makes a lot of sense given the Brewers moves this offseason.

I like the creativity here in your thinking, but I too would argue that we just wouldn't have the prospects to make this type of deal happen - even if we are picking up the majority of his contract.

Like others have mentioned though, I would not mind seeing us make a serious run at Rendon - and it would be even better if there was an opt-out after year 2 where he could hit the open market again if he felt as if he could get more elsewhere. Make that happen Stearns!

More outside the box thinking...

What I wouldn't do to have Stearns work a deal with a third club prior to them acquiring Kris Bryant. In other words, have that team approach the Cubs and complete that trade for Bryant with the details already worked out with the Brewers to acquire Bryant. Maybe the Dodgers and Cubs work out a deal for some combination of the Dodgers prospects with Hader as the main piece eventually going to LA for Bryant.

Would love to stick it to the Cubs fans with Yelich and Bryant back to back in Milwaukee, even it is for only two seasons. :devil

I think Arenado is simply impossible. But your overall notion made me quickly look at teams and try to think of good signed players on crap teams and try to come up with someone. What I came up with is Starling Marte. 2 years and 22ish mil left on his deal. With Stearns mentioning Braun to 1B again it could make sense to add an OF and one who plays good D like him. Pitt is also a frequent trading partner for us and Marte isn't so good that he'll cost a ridiculous amount in prospects.

Another Pitt option is Josh Bell. 6 mil for 2020 with 2 years of Arby left. Personally I'm a bit skeptical that his first half this year was a huge outlier. But even if that's true, he's still a solid player. Switch hitter and would benefit from our park. Also shouldn't cost a ridiculous amount in prospects (like Arenado would).

I saw the report this morning that the Rockies are at least having conversations regarding Nolen Arenado. So, my question is - would you want him and his enormous contract? And, what would it take to get him? With the Urias trade, we could technically use him as a trade piece now. But, I would imagine that we'd have a hard time putting a competitive trade offer together for him. Would Urias, Peralta, Small, Rasmussen pique their interest enough?

I also see that he has an opt-out after the '21 season, so that could impact things as well.

But boy - that's 35M for one player, and I'm pretty sure that would be a major road block for a small market team like the Brewers.

This was discussed briefly on another thread but I can't imagine a scenario where the Brewers would pick him up.

A. Why give up assets AND pay that huge of money?

B. I doubt we have the assets.

C. If we really had the assets, we'd end up in the same position as the Rockies. We'd have Arenado and the rest of the roster would not be good enough to win with him.

I saw the report this morning that the Rockies are at least having conversations regarding Nolen Arenado. So, my question is - would you want him and his enormous contract? And, what would it take to get him? With the Urias trade, we could technically use him as a trade piece now. But, I would imagine that we'd have a hard time putting a competitive trade offer together for him. Would Urias, Peralta, Small, Rasmussen pique their interest enough?

I also see that he has an opt-out after the '21 season, so that could impact things as well.

But boy - that's 35M for one player, and I'm pretty sure that would be a major road block for a small market team like the Brewers.

I would not do it. If you want someone, pay Rendon $35 million per year for 7 years instead of giving away prospects for a guy on a similar deal.

Trading our future starting rotation of Small, Rasmussen or Ashby would be a giant mistake.

We saw today that we can't buy a TOR, we simply don't have the resources to purchase our rotation.

We have to grow it, and trading any of the 3 I mentioned means we'll be stuck in rotation hell for another decade.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Would Urias, Peralta, Small, Rasmussen pique their interest enough?

Trading those players for a guy we'd have for 2 years would be too damaging to our future. It' looks like you answered your own question.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I would not do it. If you want someone, pay Rendon $35 million per year for 7 years instead of giving away prospects for a guy on a similar deal.

Bingo (despite the fact that we wouldn't have the prospect capital in the first place)

Trading our future starting rotation of Small, Rasmussen or Ashby would be a giant mistake.

We saw today that we can't buy a TOR, we simply don't have the resources to purchase our rotation.

We have to grow it, and trading any of the 3 I mentioned means we'll be stuck in rotation hell for another decade.

I respect your opinion, and I understand where you're coming from. I'm not necessarily saying to make a deal for Arenado, though we are talking about a generational 3rd baseman that definitely gives us a great chance to win the World Series in the next 3 years.

With that said, I personally feel you have very unrealistic expectations for prospect development. The odds of Small, Rasmussen, and Ashby being in a future rotation for the Brewers at the same time are somewhere between nonexistent and very slim.

The last generation of these prospects was Woodruff, Hader, Burnes, and Peralta. Before that, it was Wily Peralta, Jimmy Nelson, Tyler Thornburg, Mark Rogers and Cody Scarpetta. My point is that you're simply not going to get the career trajectory out of so many of these guys that you hope for. Some will (hopefully) live up to their promise. Many will wind up in the pen. Many others will just never make it.

I am not saying you should always trade prospects for major league proven talent, every time. Far from it. But there are times when you do have to look past the talent and promise and make a move for now, because the numbers game has proven time and time again that they're just not always going to pan out for you. If you don't, you'll miss out on the opportunities for the Christian Yelichs of the world. It wasn't long ago that many of us saw Isan Diaz as the surefire 2B of the future and Lewis Brinson as a 30/30 mainstay in our future outfield.

I get it. We have to grow our own SP in Milwaukee. However, I think the Brewers need to take a long look in the mirror about whether they are going to extend Yelich or deal him prior to him becoming a FA. These guys might be arriving just in time for Yelich to be dealt. So do you either surround Yelich with talent before he leaves and deal some of these guys or do you hold on and not upgrade the roster around Yelich?

I get it. We have to grow our own SP in Milwaukee. However, I think the Brewers need to take a long look in the mirror about whether they are going to extend Yelich or deal him prior to him becoming a FA. These guys might be arriving just in time for Yelich to be dealt. So do you either surround Yelich with talent before he leaves and deal some of these guys or do you hold on and not upgrade the roster around Yelich?

I think the Yelich issue has all ready been determined for the Brewers ,after two straight MVP seasons there is near zero chance the brewers will have enough money to resign Yelich ,the more pertinent question is when is the best time to trade him for the most value.

I think the Yelich issue has all ready been determined for the Brewers ,after two straight MVP seasons there is near zero chance the brewers will have enough money to resign Yelich ,the more pertinent question is when is the best time to trade him for the most value.

My answer is, if they don't truly sign anyone to match the production loss of Mous and Grandal, they should seriously consider this offseason. Why waste a year of Yelich if you aren't truly going to contend? It would be a franchise changing deal, and it would probably upset fans for 2020, but can you imagine the influx of young, cheap, controllable talent they'd receive in return for him? Plus, if you were to do that, may as well go ahead and flip Hader too. That'd possibly set up a new 5-7 year window starting in two-ish years, if the talent acquired pans out.

• 2 weeks later...

The tea leaves continue to suggest that Arenado is indeed on the trade block. At this point the odds are very high he is going to opt out of his contract after the 2021 season. In my opinion, there is a high likelihood Arenado will be worth every penny of the $70 million he is owed over the next two seasons. In a vacuum I think a team would be much better off paying crazy amounts of money for a 28 year old Arenado (will turn 29 just before the season) versus a now 34 year old Josh Donaldson (don’t get me wrong, that would be awesome as well).

I know this is just torture because we quickly allow reality to set in, but this lineup would potentially be one the best from top to bottom in the National League...

Cain

Yelich

Arenado

Hiura

Smoak / Braun

García / Braun

Narváez / Piña

Urias / Sogard

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Yeah that potential lineup would be just plain sick. Unfortunately, I think any trade for Arenado would start with Hiura.

I actually think the return For Arenado wouldn’t be that great. Like Stanton with the Marlins, the big contract with player opt out gives all risk to the team.

Yeah that potential lineup would be just plain sick. Unfortunately, I think any trade for Arenado would start with Hiura.

I actually think the return For Arenado wouldn’t be that great. Like Stanton with the Marlins, the big contract with player opt out gives all risk to the team.

The Rockies would have to get a huge haul to even think of trading Arenado. He's only one year away from signing the monster deal and their management would be tarred and feathered if they let him go for little or nothing.

If the Rockies do decide to become sellers, I think they would opt to try and deal trevor story, not arenado...mainly because they can essentially afford trying to keep just one of those two studs around longterm. Story also has two years left of arbitration control at a pretty high price, but nowhere near Arenado's deal. I think. One of the Rockies top prospects is a SS, and he may be ready to play more at the mlb level.

Story would also be a 3b fit for milwaukee, or he sticks at SS and the brewer shift the other players over to man 3rd - either way it would be a huge offensive upgrade to the left side of the infield....but it would cost alot in terms of prospect capital and young mlb pitching.

Archived