Brewer Fanatic

2020 Roster Turn Over

TURBO
I find it perplexing that anyone would look at the moves so far and surmise that we are rebuilding.

It seems clear that they are freeing up payroll space in order to sign a free agent 3B & free agent Pitchers and/or trade for expensive players...

I have been thinking of this as well. What players out there would be potential targets in trades where we would take on a large salary? I have seen Mookie Betts and Francisco Lindor being thrown around in rumors. Any others?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't warranted yet, but it is fair to wonder how the money will be spent. I think most figured Grandal or Moustakas would return...or to a lesser extent Pomeranz. Now all three guys are gone plus we have cut payroll every other possible way we could to this point. Is Stearns really going to sign a Donaldson or Wheeler? If we don't and payroll is down how is the fanbase going to react to that? They just renamed the stadium which most of the fanbase was pretty upset about and claimed it would bring in more money. They just did a full rebranding which will be an huge increase in revenue the next few years. Then of course a new TV deal is either being done or about to be done which will really be a sizable bump in revenue (though to be fair the casual fans probably don't know this). Even worse what if the team doesn't seriously compete next year? Some of the reactions on here aren't a minority, they are very "casual fan" type takes that a large part of the Miller Park crowd feel the same way about.

Like I said, personally all these moves independently I am okay with...assuming we are about to spend some cash. Even if we don't the only one I would really be upset with is Nelson just because if we had the payroll space he was worth rolling the dice on (and I am not a big Nelson fan after last years showing). I would say Shaw to a lesser extent, but I don't think he has wanted to be here since halfway through last season, fans almost hate him now, and he truly was terrible in 2019. I doubt Shaw would have rebounded here. I thought Guerra was decent last year, but hardly a huge loss and maybe we can bring him back cheaper if we want to.

Mark A wants to win very bad IMO and with the Rebrand and all the fans that came to the park to see a playoff club, its hard to see them taking a step back. It only Dec 3 and their still plenty of time for David to put together a playoff caliber club.

It isn't warranted yet, but it is fair to wonder how the money will be spent. I think most figured Grandal or Moustakas would return...or to a lesser extent Pomeranz. Now all three guys are gone plus we have cut payroll every other possible way we could to this point. Is Stearns really going to sign a Donaldson or Wheeler? If we don't and payroll is down how is the fanbase going to react to that? They just renamed the stadium which most of the fanbase was pretty upset about and claimed it would bring in more money. They just did a full rebranding which will be an huge increase in revenue the next few years. Then of course a new TV deal is either being done or about to be done which will really be a sizable bump in revenue (though to be fair the casual fans probably don't know this). Even worse what if the team doesn't seriously compete next year? Some of the reactions on here aren't a minority, they are very "casual fan" type takes that a large part of the Miller Park crowd feel the same way about.

Like I said, personally all these moves independently I am okay with...assuming we are about to spend some cash. Even if we don't the only one I would really be upset with is Nelson just because if we had the payroll space he was worth rolling the dice on (and I am not a big Nelson fan after last years showing). I would say Shaw to a lesser extent, but I don't think he has wanted to be here since halfway through last season, fans almost hate him now, and he truly was terrible in 2019. I doubt Shaw would have rebounded here. I thought Guerra was decent last year, but hardly a huge loss and maybe we can bring him back cheaper if we want to.

Stearns has preached depth since day 1 of becoming our GM. Since the Brewers do not have much minor league talent and we still have 9 spots to fill on the 40 man roster, I think we will see a lot of mid to low tier signings just for depth. We might bring in one bigger free agent but the majority is going to be depth.

If I were a betting man, my money would be on Donaldson or Rendon. Yes, they will be expensive and I think Rendon for sure will sign a $200+ million contract, but hitters are more of a sure thing than pitchers and Stearns will want to limit the downside if he is giving out that kind of money.

I find it perplexing that anyone would look at the moves so far and surmise that we are rebuilding.

It seems clear that they are freeing up payroll space in order to sign a free agent 3B & free agent Pitchers and/or trade for expensive players...

I have been thinking of this as well. What players out there would be potential targets in trades where we would take on a large salary? I have seen Mookie Betts and Francisco Lindor being thrown around in rumors. Any others?

Brandon Belt and Evan Longoria strike me as potential targets. Kyle Seager maybe. Mark Trumbo I guess.

Brandon Belt and Evan Longoria strike me as potential targets. Kyle Seager maybe. Mark Trumbo I guess.

If we sign Mark Trumbo to start, my entire 20 pack is going in the trash.

I hate the idea as well, but was just looking for high-priced guys that crappy teams may be looking to offload.

I think they would have to be useful players. Trumbo is Trasho, but he doesn't matter because I am almost positive he is a FA.

Seager sounded like a good idea until I saw all of his production was literally in the month of August. Belt doesn't interest me even slightly as he is not anywhere near good for a 1B. Sure, they could add to the deal to make it worth it for us, but who are they adding that is MLB ready just to unload salary. Those kind of deals are hard to make happen and really hard to make sense.

A few that come to mind that shouldn’t cost much in terms of trade value if a team were willing to take on their remaining contracts...

Corey Kluber (1 year at $17.5 million with a team option for $18 million in 2021 or a $1 million buyout)

Jean Segura (4 years and $45.5 million)

Kyle Seager (3 years and $54 million)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I hate the idea as well, but was just looking for high-priced guys that crappy teams may be looking to offload.

Interesting thought. "We will take your high priced guy off your hands but in order to do so we will also require a prospect".

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Just saw that the Mets are looking to package Jed Lowrie or Jeurys Familia in a deal with a guy like Dom Smith or J.D. Davis for salary relief. Could be an option.

I have a feeling the Mets are desperate to unload some payroll in order to make moves this winter, so this seems like a possible match with the Brewers.

If we took on Wil Myers and his contract to play 1B for us, we could probably make Padres add in a couple of blue chip prospects as well.

Interesting idea for us to re-stock the farm.

I can't imagine Stearns would even think of Longoria or Trumbo. Longoria is owed $58M over the next three years and on the downside of his career. Way too expensive for his production. Trumbo was hurt again last year and is a DH. No value at all. Belt is scheduled to make $34.5M in the next two years. Again way too expensive for his production. Seager is going to make $38-41M in the next two years. None of these guys are even worth considering unless their teams ate a lot of money just to get rid of them and the prospects going to them were low level.

Just saw that the Mets are looking to package Jed Lowrie or Jeurys Familia in a deal with a guy like Dom Smith or J.D. Davis for salary relief. Could be an option.

I would definitely be in on a deal for Lowrie and Davis/Smith if Stearns could pull it off. It would fill a big need and a very good utility man for not a lot of money. No thanks on Familia. He is going to make $24M over the next two years and he's been horrific out of the pen.

A few that come to mind that shouldn’t cost much in terms of trade value if a team were willing to take on their remaining contracts...

Corey Kluber (1 year at $17.5 million with a team option for $18 million in 2021 or a $1 million buyout)

Jean Segura (4 years and $45.5 million)

Kyle Seager (3 years and $54 million)

Segura is owed $45.5 for the next 3 years. The fourth year would be $17M with the $1M buyout. $15M is a lot to pay for a 2B/SS that nobody seems to want. Kluber would be worth the risk if Clev. didn't want much in return. No on Seager. Too much for too little production.

If we took on Wil Myers and his contract to play 1B for us, we could probably make Padres add in a couple of blue chip prospects as well.

Interesting idea for us to re-stock the farm.

I don't think Stearns would have any interest in Myers because of the price. $68.5M over the next three years. He could spend that money on pitching and the Brewers would be much better for it.

Segura is owed $45.5 for the next 3 years. The fourth year would be $17M with the $1M buyout. $15M is a lot to pay for a 2B/SS that nobody seems to want. Kluber would be worth the risk if Clev. didn't want much in return. No on Seager. Too much for too little production.

Good catch, thanks for the correction.

Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

5m

Brewers have gotten strong trade interest in Keston Hiura, according to sources. A deal has been described as highly unlikely, with one team in contact with the Brewers saying it would take a “____ ton” to facilitate a trade.

Uh yeah, no kidding. I'm glad Stearns is willing to discuss anyone, though. If someone makes a godfather offer for one of the Brewers' assets, you consider it.

Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

5m

Brewers have gotten strong trade interest in Keston Hiura, according to sources. A deal has been described as highly unlikely, with one team in contact with the Brewers saying it would take a “____ ton” to facilitate a trade.

Uh yeah, no kidding. I'm glad Stearns is willing to discuss anyone, though. If someone makes a godfather offer for one of the Brewers' assets, you consider it.

While true, I can't imagine listening on everyone is a good way to do business, at least publicly.

Are free agents going to want to join a club knowing they will always be shopped?

Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

5m

While true, I can't imagine listening on everyone is a good way to do business, at least publicly.

Are free agents going to want to join a club knowing they will always be shopped?

This is pretty typical, all teams do this.

Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

5m

It's all guaranteed money, 99% of players could not care less where they play, its the money that matters.

Archived