Brewer Fanatic

2020 Roster Turn Over

TURBO

I just complied the list of players that are not going to be with the team in 2020. (Those who had big roles in 2019, yes I know Nelson didn't play much of a role, but I added him too)

Until I saw it typed out, it didn't hit me as to how different this team is going to be next season.

It's astounding how many guys are gone from the 2019 squad. Have we ever had turnover like this before?

Grandal

Moustakas

Thames (has a realistic shot at being resigned)

Shaw

Saladino

Perez

Grisham

Anderson

Davies

Lyles (also could possibly be resigned)

Claudio

Nelson

Guerra

Pomeranz

Jackson

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty crazy (via Robert Murray) when put into this context...

Putting Brewers roster changes into perspective: 13 of 25 players that made up Oct. 1 wild-card roster are now gone. That number could increase with potential Orlando Arcia trade, losing Jordan Lyles in free agency.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Might as well blow it up. Trade hader, yeli, and Cain to rebuild. We got spoiled with a short rebuild a couple years ago. Time to fix the farm. I don’t know what sterns is doing but I trust him. It’s kinda like “let’s see what happens in a couple years”.

I just complied the list of players that are not going to be with the team in 2020. (Those who had big roles in 2019, yes I know Nelson didn't play much of a role, but I added him too)

Until I saw it typed out, it didn't hit me as to how different this team is going to be next season.

It's astounding how many guys are gone from the 2019 squad. Have we ever had turnover like this before?

Grandal

Moustakas

Thames (has a realistic shot at being resigned)

Shaw

Saladino

Perez

Grisham

Anderson

Davies

Lyles (also could possibly be resigned)

Claudio

Nelson

Guerra

Pomeranz

Jackson

It looks/sounds like someone is using one of these with player names on ping pong balls....

For those saying blow it up and retool blow what up? We have two players right now that would bring significant value back Yelich and Hader and to a lesser extent Cain that’s it. That’s not going to rebuild a farm system that is ranked dead last in all of baseball.

Might as well blow it up. Trade hader, yeli, and Cain to rebuild. We got spoiled with a short rebuild a couple years ago. Time to fix the farm. I don’t know what sterns is doing but I trust him. It’s kinda like “let’s see what happens in a couple years”.

I just wish we had a little time before the season started to fill out the roster...

For those saying blow it up and retool blow what up? We have two players right now that would bring significant value back Yelich and Hader and to a lesser extent Cain that’s it. That’s not going to rebuild a farm system that is ranked dead last in all of baseball.

A (should be 2 time) mvp and the best reliever in baseball should catch enough to build a solid foundation for years to come. Realistically, you should get 2 solid rotation pieces and a couple Starting position players at least for them.

I have to disagree regarding your assessment. I doubt Cain brings back much of anything.

Both Woodruff & Huira would be bring back a lot of talent & much more than Cain would.

That said - I am not arguing for a tear down & rebuild.

People are talking about "blowing up" the team because we let Shaw and Guerra go?? :rolleyes

We made the playoffs last season and still have the True MVP in his prime. The only player non-tendered who even had positive fWAR last season was Guerra at a whopping +0.3 fWAR. We are better off just by slotting in replacement level players!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Man, it's like the Red Wedding.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

A (should be 2 time) mvp and the best reliever in baseball should catch enough to build a solid foundation for years to come. Realistically, you should get 2 solid rotation pieces and a couple Starting position players at least for them.

I have to disagree regarding your assessment. I doubt Cain brings back much of anything.

Both Woodruff & Huira would be bring back a lot of talent & much more than Cain would.

That said - I am not arguing for a tear down & rebuild.

I would say both Hiura and Woodruff return would at least be tried by other owners to diminish it somewhat. Hiura for his defense and Woodruff prove it again. That the return on value would not be wroth trading them this year.

I think the loss of Grandal and Moose, and now the talk of Hader being available, are driving the full tear-down conversations, and not losing players like Shaw and Guerra.

I am nervous about the future though. I’d be extremely shocked if we will be able to retain Yelich beyond his current contract. That gives us three more years of Yelich, and I feel like our best bet to win a World Series is while he is still with us. That means Stearns needs to assemble a World Series-caliber team within the next three years. There is a lot of activity already this off-season, especially with players that made the Brewers successful last year (Grandal, Moose, and Pomeranz). It’s hard to imagine that Stearns will be able to replace their contributions and still address the other holes we have this offseason. If 2020 is a step back, then there are only two more years with Yelich, and so on. This is what gets me very nervous, and what makes 2019 so disappointing as I felt we were only a few pieces away from having a World Series-caliber team after the 2018 season, and the decisions that were made did not address those needs in 2019.

My take is that if anyone has any confidence at all in Stearns then instead of being worried we should be really excited for the moves to come. This is a blank canvas, I'm not seeing the downside.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I find it perplexing that anyone would look at the moves so far and surmise that we are rebuilding.

It seems clear that they are freeing up payroll space in order to sign a free agent 3B & free agent Pitchers and/or trade for expensive players...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

My take is that if anyone has any confidence at all in Stearns then instead of being worried we should be really excited for the moves to come. This is a blank canvas, I'm not seeing the downside.

Exactly. The defeatist attitudes are out in full force, but they are totally unwarranted. Nothing in Stearns' history with this team suggests that he's going to spend the rest of the offseason sitting on his hands or signing the likes of Logan Forsythe and handing them major roles.

So far so good. I think just about every non-tender has been standard. I'm definitely fine with not getting tied down to a long contract with Moose or Grandal. We've got a GM that's lead us to a good amount of success so far and he's got a bunch of money to play around with. Time to build.

I don't see why people seem to be in 2 camps. Rebuild and All in? There are more options. I want them to spend responsibly and add a lot of small pieces who their metrics see upside in. Not committ long term to anyone that isn't a superstar and if this is a lull year so be it. There are a lot of questions with this team and 2021 2022 have to be the all in years. Keeping Yelich south of 40mil a year seems nearly impossible.

The thing people don't seem to get is that this team hasn't gotten from year 1 of DS to here by signing big name FAs. They've got to this point by winning trades and signing guys who we look at like they are scraps and then they become regulars right before our eyes. Thames Aguilar were cast-offs. Shaw prospect glow was fading. Miley was laughed about when they added him. Chacin wasn't expected to put up 3.5. Jeffress was sub 2 mil and a beast. All of it is short lived, but DS seems to be able to see the guy who is a small tinker away from a career year. So do that, develop the farm, and pay short term FAs who are about to be much more valuable than anyone thought. You'll hit some, you'll miss some but if you play the numbers game it should settle out in your favor. It was wildly successful in 2018 and fell flat in 2019. They still made the playoffs with deadline additions that people complained about. Wash Rinse Repeat.

People look at this the wrong way. Awe we lost Grandal and Moose. The real story is how in the heck did we get them on 1 year deals in the first place? Both got 4 year deals that look murky 2 years down the road. They didn't give up a lot for Pom and Black. They didn't give up much for Swarzak. Then he got paid, oops! Embrace being that franchise that scoops up the overlooked and watches them earn a deal that commits to them far too long. The rest of the league can jump on the grenade 2 years into the future. We got the 1 year value contract.

I play in some fairly deep FF leagues. I've had years where I go all in. I've had years where I sell off playoff guys while adding in low value expiring guys as I try to win but build forward. I've had years where I blow it up, or blow half of it up and rest the core/spending structure of the team. There are many angles in a simple dynasty FF league, I'm sure their analytics have found many more in something as dynamic as a MLB franchise. But it's truly not that different. It's just far more important to far more people. I enjoy watching guys I bought for $1/1 going back to auction the next year and getting paid $60/3. DS seems to be fantastic at that, play to your strengths. Maybe it only looks that way because he does it in such high volume, but either way its paying off.

Archived