Brewer Fanatic

Shaw, Claudio, Nelson, Saladino, Guerra Non-Tendered

Brewcrewin07
I really like the approach so far. It looks like DS is admitting a bunch of guys that might improve and could stay average/ bad doesn't work for him. Free up as much cash as possible and go for some high end talent-because there's plenty of league average talent out there for next to nothing. If he doesn't get a combination of the Rendon, Ryu, Wheeler, or the Donaldsons of the free agents class or patch a bunch of holes dealing Hader then 2020 might be a soft rebuild. Mark A is certainly on board here-so I would heavily bet on us not starting the season with Erceg at 3b and Jose Bautista at 1b. Logic requests those on this board to calm down.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, sure, I would agree. I don’t think that makes it more likely. Either some team backs up the dump truck or they don’t.

The line of suitors is reportedly long. To me, what's up in the air isn't the quality of the offers they'll get, it's whether the Brewers will pull the trigger. Having more spots to fill, increases the likelihood of pulling the trigger in my mind.

The problem is finding an offer with some MLB talent or at least MLB ready talent. I just don’t see them taking on a load of prospects and subtracting from the MLB team that much.

Real hard to find a deal when it needs near MLB talent.

The brewers will surely make moves to fill some holes but with what impact on the clubhouse. The kind of guys Moose Thames Grandal Davies etc were in the clubhouse were a key to grinding out the last two Septembers. This is a chemistry experiment as much as anything.

I bet Stearns has a computer algorithm for team chemistry. I’m actually serious about that... this is something I’m not at all worried about.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think the Brewers gave Shaw every chance last season.....

Agreed, but I also think that justifiably or not Shaw was rattled by them bringing in Moustakas in 2018 and never really regained his confidence.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Agreed, but I also think that justifiably or not Shaw was rattled by them bringing in Moustakas in 2018 and never really regained his confidence.

Maybe but on the other hand if just the threat of competition makes you sink that badly...

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, that's a pretty bush league comment by his agent.

Shaw was given ample opportunity to turn it around last year. It's a results-oriented business on a contending team. This isn't the Marlins. At some point, the results need to be there. We can't plug a .157 hitter into our lineup for 140 games.

Yea that's garbage. The Brewers recalled Shaw in June when Hiura was raking and Shaw was hovering around .200 in his AAA rehab assignment. I'll be interested to see what Shaw eventually signs for.

None of the players that were non- tendered proved they deserved a roster spot next season. The only one that is close he Claudio. I liked him more than just about any fan I knew. It’s too bad they gave up a valuable pick for only one season of him.

I have faith that these spots will be used more wisely in 2020.

Exactly this. Shaw, Nelson, and Guerra are guys you hope will bounce back or be good next year. Considering the money they have been making, you can't spend that much on hope. Saladino is a dime a dozen no hit utility player. Claudio is almost useless now with the three batter rule.

I forget, if a player is non-tendered are the Brewers then prevented from resigning in the off season. I’d imagine with players like Nelson and Guerra they still want the player but at a certain price, and therefore if they can’t get it somewhere else as a free agent they resign with Milwaukee on the Brewers’s terms??

Wouldn't shock me if nelson is still with the brewers in 2020...they just couldn't pay him anything close to the arby number he would have gotten with how the system is set up. He was still hitting mid 90s so he will get more chances to show he can get mlb hitters out with somebody next season.

Shaw, Claudio, Saladino, and Guerra are just guys who ran out of minor league options and that really cost them value to the brewers moving forward.

Shaw is just as likely to hit 30+ HR this year as he is to have a bad season. I completely agree with non tendering him given how things went last season but it is much more likely it was a bizzarro random bad year than his true talent given what he had done his previous few seasons. He showed nothing but skill growth in 2017 and 2018 and 2019 was completely out of expectations. Anyone who saw that coming was delusional going into the season.

I forget, if a player is non-tendered are the Brewers then prevented from resigning in the off season. I’d imagine with players like Nelson and Guerra they still want the player but at a certain price, and therefore if they can’t get it somewhere else as a free agent they resign with Milwaukee on the Brewers’s terms??

They become unrestricted free agents and can sign with any team at any time (including the Brewers)

Since the other thread was locked and no one seems to believe me...or wants to..

Bob Nightengale

@BNightengale

·

32m

The #Brewers will undoubtedly have a smaller payroll this year, which several rival executives acknowledged during GM meetings https://twitter.com/haudricourt/st

Yeah ... because someone like jed Hoyer says so, it must be true. Uhh ... no.

You REALLY need to let things play out.

The brewers will surely make moves to fill some holes but with what impact on the clubhouse. The kind of guys Moose Thames Grandal Davies etc were in the clubhouse were a key to grinding out the last two Septembers. This is a chemistry experiment as much as anything.

I bet Stearns has a computer algorithm for team chemistry. I’m actually serious about that... this is something I’m not at all worried about.

He has a Brent Suter for team chemistry.

Since the other thread was locked and no one seems to believe me...or wants to..

Bob Nightengale

@BNightengale

·

32m

The #Brewers will undoubtedly have a smaller payroll this year, which several rival executives acknowledged during GM meetings https://twitter.com/haudricourt/st

Do you by chance remember last offseason when Haudricourt repeatedly stated the Brewers payroll was stretched to its limits? That was before they signed Yasmani Grandal and Moustakas, and I would consider Haudricourt an infinitely more reputable source for Brewers information than Bob Nightengale. Nightengale’s report should not be taken as fact or proof of anything at this point. Also, “several rival executives” have no idea what the Brewers are planning to spend on payroll.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived