Brewer Fanatic

Shaw, Claudio, Nelson, Saladino, Guerra Non-Tendered

Brewcrewin07
A big free agent signing or two may be in the works, but one thing I wouldn’t completely rule out with the payroll flexibility is the Brewers taking on a larger contract in a trade (or even a bad contract in order to get more overall value). Not something we are used to as Brewers fans, but they certainly have money to spend in one form or another to improve the roster.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It’s going to be an interesting offseason which is awesome. I’m worried the amount of holes we need to fill though and I doubt they get any of Rendon, Stras, Wheeler.

You didn’t rule out Cole... what do you know? :)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Okay let’s calm down, we cannot afford Strasburg and Rendon. They wouldn’t even fit in next years payroll let alone the coming years when the arbitration numbers balloon.

We could probably afford a Wheeler...Donaldson is a short enough deal you could probably fit that in our payroll (probably not both those guys though).

They could definitely fit a $25mil ish contract in our payroll (especially when you consider they would defer some) if they REALLY loved a guy but probably not another deal north of $12mil or so after that.

More roster spots to fill. Only increases the likelihood of a Hader deal imo.

Not really, Hader is not going to fill a bunch of roster spots. If you lose a wheel taking one of the other three wheels to replace the wheel that fell off still leaves you with three wheels. The only way to truly improve is through FA and trade that ADD talent on the MLB roster not subtract.

Practically the entire 2019 roster is gone.

A roster that I was told repeatedly last year was terrible. It pretty much every IGT. A roster that had an obituary written for it on this site. in August. A roster that squeaked into the playoffs on the back of an otherworldly hot streak.

I'm kinda interested to see in what direction our GM goes with this.

Not really, Hader is not going to fill a bunch of roster spots. If you lose a wheel taking one of the other three wheels to replace the wheel that fell off still leaves you with three wheels. The only way to truly improve is through FA and trade that ADD talent on the MLB roster not subtract.

I think his point is that you use one fancy wheel to pay for two wheels that may appreciate in value, leaving you with 4 wheels and a viable path forward.

Well if he's traded for 3 MLB pieces or 2 MLB pieces and a prospect, he will have filled 1-2 more roster spots than keeping him. What will you say then?

Practically the entire 2019 roster is gone.

A roster that I was told repeatedly last year was terrible. It pretty much every IGT. A roster that had an obituary written for it on this site. in August. A roster that squeaked into the playoffs on the back of an otherworldly hot streak.

I'm kinda interested to see in what direction our GM goes with this.

Yep. He’s giving the fans what they wanted. :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Shaw, in my opinion, is totally better off leaving Milwaukee.

If we think we are a contender, we can't afford to risk having 2019 Shaw show up. That's one of the nice things about a team not having a belief that they can make the playoffs. You can take risks. You give guys like Keon Broxton a chance. You sign a guy like Shaw - tell him the job is his - and hope he rebounds.

But a team aiming for the playoffs and a title can't afford that kind of risk. Best for all parties to just move on. Keeping him around would just be awkward for everyone.

I wish Travis well - just not against us.

Well if he's traded for 3 MLB pieces or 2 MLB pieces and a prospect, he will have filled 1-2 more roster spots than keeping him. What will you say then?

Is their impact more than that of Hader’s, taking into consideration salary? Don’t care about quantity.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know it’s early but I’m not comfortable with the amount of spots to fill with FA and trades when we also have no farm system.

Agree. But I also don't know what the club has in the works. Just have to be patient, which is not easy. No one likes the uncertainty.

The brewers will surely make moves to fill some holes but with what impact on the clubhouse. The kind of guys Moose Thames Grandal Davies etc were in the clubhouse were a key to grinding out the last two Septembers. This is a chemistry experiment as much as anything.

None of the players that were non- tendered proved they deserved a roster spot next season. The only one that is close he Claudio. I liked him more than just about any fan I knew. It’s too bad they gave up a valuable pick for only one season of him.

I have faith that these spots will be used more wisely in 2020.

Why are you assuming that any of these guys they let go were actually ones they wanted?

Bingo. Another possibility would be trying to shift toward a new lineup composition. Perhaps a move away from the all or nothing, rely on HRs offense. Something I've been begging for and also backed up with the Urias acquistion.

If it works out this way and this team is able to score more runs while hitting fewer home runs, it will be fun thinking about all the backtracking posts which won't ever come. I'd bet some of the same people complaining about not re-signing Moose and cutting ties with Thames and Shaw, are the same people who litter the IGTs with complaints about striking out when a run could be scored simply putting the ball in play.

Is their impact more than that of Hader’s, taking into consideration salary? Don’t care about quantity.

We shall see. I don't think anyone here is expecting anything less than a major haul if Hader is dealt. And with 4 years control a haul is exactly what they should get.

Well, sure, I would agree. I don’t think that makes it more likely. Either some team backs up the dump truck or they don’t.

Well, sure, I would agree. I don’t think that makes it more likely. Either some team backs up the dump truck or they don’t.

The line of suitors is reportedly long. To me, what's up in the air isn't the quality of the offers they'll get, it's whether the Brewers will pull the trigger. Having more spots to fill, increases the likelihood of pulling the trigger in my mind.

Archived