Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Arcia- 1 Year $2.2 Million

markedman5
Hernan Perez role, just in a different way. Arcia plays short when someone needs a day and Urias moves around. Now just need someone with the versatility to play the corner IF spots.

Arcia will be our emergency catcher, relief pitcher, outfielder, and all other infield positions?

:rolleyes

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hernan Perez role, just in a different way. Arcia plays short when someone needs a day and Urias moves around. Now just need someone with the versatility to play the corner IF spots.

Arcia will be our emergency catcher, relief pitcher, outfielder, and all other infield positions?

:rolleyes

I could go the other direction with a smartass reply, but instead I'll offer a response much more useful than your retort. Not many teams have someone capable of playing 8-9 positions. So the Hernan Perez role is much more likely to be filled by a more traditional utility player. Arcia can be that guy. Stearns has already commented on Urias' ability to play 2B, SS, and 3B. Since I'm expecting Urias to be an everyday player, it would make Arcia a reverse utility player just as I opined. Arcia spells Urias, and Urias can in turn spell others.

So Arcia playing one position is a good comparison to Perez, who played them all?

Ok then...

Again, to stay above the level you're dragging this down to, there are other ways to have roster flexibility other than having a guy who plays every position. A good start is having your #1 utility guy being someone who has elite capability at the most important defensive position.

Hopefully he can learn the rest of the field (at least 2B/3B) and be good at them. If he is the utility guy, cool...not like we could find someone to hit in that role anyway.

I would be optimistic that he could. And as someone else said, if the Saladino's of the world are getting 2 mil, then why not that coin for Arcia.

So Arcia playing one position is a good comparison to Perez, who played them all?

Ok then...

Again, to stay above the level you're dragging this down to, there are other ways to have roster flexibility other than having a guy who plays every position. A good start is having your #1 utility guy being someone who has elite capability at the most important defensive position.

again, you said that Arcia was this year's Perez, even though Arcia only plays one position, and Perez could play all 9.

Whatever, save the board from reading anymore of this argument, you may have the last word now...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Or the fact he only costs $2.2mil and he can just be the utility man. The Brewers may have zero realistic hope Arcia is going to break out. The reason he is staying is his price. At $4mil or more he is probably dumped like 99% of last years roster. I doubt they really have that much hope he will turn a corner at this point.

If he has an option left that would explain their willingness even more.

regarding Arcia's positional flexibility - half the time he was the shortstop he was on the 2nd base side of the bag with shifts. And his arm is plenty strong enough to stick him at 3rd. A position title doesn't really matter if he's a late inning defensive replacement with all the shifting the Brewers do, anyway.

There's no doubt he could be a solid utility IF defensively if that winds up being his role...the doubt is whether his offense would ever be good enough for him to stick in that role when it also tends to require some ability at the plate as a pinch hitter.

Teams need a utility IF who can play solid defense at SS, and get some starts when people need rest or get hurt. Arcia fits that, and he is still young and could "find it" and be worth much more than that. If they had non-tendered him, they would have had to find a veteran utility guy who would cost just as much as Arcia, so this move makes sense.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

But why

Because unlike some fans, the Brewers tend to make intelligent decisions when it comes to player movement. You don’t give up on a 25-year-old with untapped potential. Not yet. No matter how many fans hate him.

But where is this "untapped potential"? Is it based off of the one year in the minors when he was an above average hitter? As some point you just have to say after 4 years in the bigs and over 1500 PA's he is what he is. Glove is fine and the bat is crap. As long as he's super cheap I guess he's good enough to keep around.

But why

Because unlike some fans, the Brewers tend to make intelligent decisions when it comes to player movement. You don’t give up on a 25-year-old with untapped potential. Not yet. No matter how many fans hate him.

But where is this "untapped potential"? Is it based off of the one year in the minors when he was an above average hitter? As some point you just have to say after 4 years in the bigs and over 1500 PA's he is what he is. Glove is fine and the bat is crap. As long as he's super cheap I guess he's good enough to keep around.

Orlando has three years and basically 2 months of MLB time, not four years. That untapped potential is basically that 2017 season, where as a 22-year-old Orlando put up a .277 average, 15 HRs and .731 OPS, which playing Gold Glove-level defense. If that 2017 season is Orlando's ceiling, I'd take that from my starting shortstop every day. The last two seasons have been bad. There is no denying that. But there are MLB results that can be dreamt on.

With how young the middle infield is, Arcia (25), Urias (22), Hiura (23), I could see the Brewers initial plan heading into the season splitting the 2b/SS starts evenly between the three, with the flexibility of playing the hot bat, sitting someone in a slump, etc. Something like Arcia 108 starts at SS, Hiura 108 starts at 2B, Urias 54 at SS/54 at 2B. And if a Shaw 2019 situation arises, the other two step up and get more starts. This also helps protect against injury.

Hypothetically, I wonder if the Brewers view Hiura in LF long term. Get through 2020 seeing if Arcia can improve (be more like 2017 version), Urias solidifies himself at 2B, Braun retires and Hiura goes to LF. I know this is full optimistic side, but if Hiura can put up a .900 OPS like many think, that bat definitely plays in LF.

With how young the middle infield is, Arcia (25), Urias (22), Hiura (23), I could see the Brewers initial plan heading into the season splitting the 2b/SS starts evenly between the three,

There is no way that Hiura is splitting at bats.

With how young the middle infield is, Arcia (25), Urias (22), Hiura (23), I could see the Brewers initial plan heading into the season splitting the 2b/SS starts evenly between the three,

Especially with those two...

I agree that Hiura's offensive production means that he will be starting at 2B every day. However, Urias at SS / Hiura at 2B is below average defensively.

Meanwhile, we've got good "up the middle" defense when Pina is catching, Arcia is at SS, Urias at 2B and Cain is at CF. I think that Arcia will brought in at SS late in games, with Urias moving to 2B, eliminating Hiura's substandard glove from the equation. Let Hiura's bat get us leads and let Arcia & Urias' gloves protect that lead.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Urias should start every game vs LHP

Hiura should start about 156 games unless injured. When he does rest, it probably should be when LHP starts against us (interesting reverse splits with Hiura so far)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Splitting at bats evenly among Hiura/Arcia/Urias would not be a wise choice but Hiura will need his days off, injuries will happen and Hiura is likely to replaced defensively many times. If they decide to keep both Arcia nd Urias there should be plenty of playing time for both and do think whoever has the hot bat among the two will get more playing time.

• 2 months later...
Well he's started on a binge. We've seen this before for a month here and there. However, his ST start is making things more interesting. Every hit to this point has gone from LC to RF which is something many have pointed towards him doing when he's succeeding.

Ground out to 2b

Ground out to 2b

K

HR to RF

Ground rule double to CF

Lines out to RF

Ground out to Pitcher

Ground out to SS

HR to LCF

Line drive single to RF

4 of 10, no BB, 1 K.

9 balls in play. 7 to CF to RF, 2 ball left of 2b. Nothing to LF.

If he can keep doing that he'll be useful. It's his pull crap that kills him.

Or, if Arcia is 2017 Arcia, then a full-time of Urias at third, Arcia at short, and Hiura at second isn't so bad...

The difference between 2017 Arcia and 2019 Arcia was really just BABIP. All of the peripherals were about the same with 2017 having a very slight edge in xOPS. The big difference is Arcia had a career high BABIP in 2017 and a career low in 2019.

Archived