Brewer Fanatic

CJ Cron

Excellent idea. Cron is more or less what Aguilar was originally supposed to be (before Aguilar went ape and became an everyday player, and before Aguilar then fell off a cliff and became a neveryday player).

If they could sign Cron and bring back Thames for a couple million each, that's a very strong platoon at 1B for cheap. Or move Shaw to 1B if you think he can rebound against RHP. (Shaw complicates things because the team is unlikely to want to use four roster spots on 1B and 3B platoons)

Excellent idea. Cron is more or less what Aguilar was originally supposed to be (before Aguilar went ape and became an everyday player, and before Aguilar then fell off a cliff and became a neveryday player).

If they could sign Cron and bring back Thames for a couple million each, that's a very strong platoon at 1B for cheap. Or move Shaw to 1B if you think he can rebound against RHP. (Shaw complicates things because the team is unlikely to want to use four roster spots on 1B and 3B platoons)

100% this. I would be more than satisfied with a Cron/Thames platoon at first base. Saves money for other positions as well

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I thought the Twins would non-tender Cron. He was pegged to make nearly $8M in arbitration - a lot for a guy who just isn't that good.

With him a FA, Cron's an interesting option. He'll be 30 in January, so he's not too old. He's right handed, and his career splits aren't too bad - .823 OPS vs lefties, .758 vs righties. However, this has become more pronounced as he has gotten older. Over the last three years, OPs vs lefties is .923, while against righties it is .727.

This trend concerns me, and makes me want to label him a lefty-mashing platoon player going forward. Not sure if that's fair, but it's something to consider.

His lack of defensive versatility - he pretty much only plays 1B - does limit him as well.

I thought the Twins would non-tender Cron. He was pegged to make nearly $8M in arbitration - a lot for a guy who just isn't that good.

With him a FA, Cron's an interesting option. He'll be 30 in January, so he's not too old. He's right handed, and his career splits aren't too bad - .823 OPS vs lefties, .758 vs righties. However, this has become more pronounced as he has gotten older. Over the last three years, OPs vs lefties is .923, while against righties it is .727.

This trend concerns me, and makes me want to label him a lefty-mashing platoon player going forward. Not sure if that's fair, but it's something to consider.

His lack of defensive versatility - he pretty much only plays 1B - does limit him as well.

I think his splits do make him a great candidate if they want to platoon with Thames or a Thames-type when the dust settles.

It's dangerous to assume that Thames will be back. Not too long ago, many here assumed we'd be the ones to bring back Moose, didn't happen.

Until we ink Thames, I don't think we can assume he will be in the fold.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Cron's injury was essentially getting rid of dead tissue from his right thumb (yikes) - 6-8 week recovery from surgery but uncertain about whether or not he'll be ready to start Spring Training following rehab/strengthening that thumb. I'd say he's an option that will likely be available late while teams check on his recovery progress.

To me he's someone to bring in to fill out a platoon option at 1B once you already have a LH hitting 1B who could play everyday.

A Cron/Mitch Moreland platoon would give them a very productive duo at 1B. They certainly have the salary room to afford both of them, and signing both would mean having a dangerous veteran bat off the bench every night.

It seems to me that signing both are moves that Stearns can and should make sooner rather than later. Not only would it fix one glaring hole in the lineup, it would help reassure Brewer fans that they are serious about building a contender for 2020. I think he can be a little more patient on the pitching side, and kind of let the market come to him a bit, but this roster needs some bats.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Kneel before Cron!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

A Cron/Mitch Moreland platoon would give them a very productive duo at 1B. They certainly have the salary room to afford both of them, and signing both would mean having a dangerous veteran bat off the bench every night.

It seems to me that signing both are moves that Stearns can and should make sooner rather than later. Not only would it fix one glaring hole in the lineup, it would help reassure Brewer fans that they are serious about building a contender for 2020. I think he can be a little more patient on the pitching side, and kind of let the market come to him a bit, but this roster needs some bats.

The problem is you are again getting two guys that only play 1B. Even with a 5 man bench you want a little versatility. I like Neil Walker for the last spot. Plays 1B-3B and can be an emergency 2B. Cheaper too, maybe $1.5-2M.

Personally, if the Brewers add a veteran right handed bat for the corner infield I'd want it to be someone who can play 3rd base too. Todd frazier is my preference. Howie Kendrick maybe, but he might be flying high on the post season run.

Switch hitters like Sandoval and Cabrera could fill that role too. Jedd Gyorko on a minor league deal maybe.

Personally, if the Brewers add a veteran right handed bat for the corner infield I'd want it to be someone who can play 3rd base too. Todd frazier is my preference. Howie Kendrick maybe, but he might be flying high on the post season run.

Switch hitters like Sandoval and Cabrera could fill that role too. Jedd Gyorko on a minor league deal maybe.

UGH!

None of those players are a needle mover for a team with a weak offense trying to get to the playoffs. Kendrick, maybe, the rest are guys who are just guys...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

UGH!

None of those players are a needle mover for a team with a weak offense trying to get to the playoffs. Kendrick, maybe, the rest are guys who are just guys...

I agree, but this is a thread about CJ Cron. A thread about likely platoon bats and such. These guys are just floor raisers. It would obviously be incredibly disappointing for the Brewers to only add a few low tier free agents to fill out the roster. But hey, maybe they'll sign Rendon or Donaldson and 3rd base depth becomes less important.

The problem is you are again getting two guys that only play 1B. Even with a 5 man bench you want a little versatility. I like Neil Walker for the last spot. Plays 1B-3B and can be an emergency 2B. Cheaper too, maybe $1.5-2M.

Cron had an OPS of over 1.000 vs. LHP and Moreland had an OPS just under .900 against RHP. Combined they equal an All Star. They have enough versatile players to get by. Thames played some OF but essentially he was only a 1B and so was Aguilar. They need bats to replace a lot of thunder that's gone. How can I put this. They've lost a ton of offensive production. They don't need a bunch of Neil Walkers. They need top flight major league bats not guys like Walker who are hanging on as the 25th man on some team. The problem with the FA at 1B is there's no one guy who's an everyday solid 1B. Cron kills LHP. Moreland wears out RHP. They paid $18 to get Grandal's production at catcher. I think they could get both Cron and Moreland for something under $18 million combined and solve take away 1B as a problem. In fact, not only would it not be a problem, it might give then production comparable with the best 1B in the league. With Arcia and Urias, they have two guys who can play anywhere in the infield. They still need to come up with a 3B and they need him to be no worse than average and whether he can play multiple positions should not be a primary factor.

Archived