Brewer Fanatic

Reds Sign Moustakas - 4 Years, $64m

JDBrewCrew
Also, Moustakas had a .256/.326/.441/.767 line in his 2 months as a Brewer in 2018. We made the playoffs by a full 4+ games. To suggest we would not have made them without that 2 month production line from Moustakas is laughable.

Moustakas hit a terrible, middle middle, 0-2 mistake pitch from Adam Ottavino for a walkoff win in a playoff game and that somehow caused people to remember his 2018 for more than it really was.

People like doing Kuhn, Moose, etc., chants and it makes them overrate those players. I saw someone refer to Moose as an incredible player yesterday.

I will never understand why a chant for anyone with a name or nickname that has an "Oou" sound in it needs to be a thing.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, fans are weird. Chants IMO are dumb. Fans every right to get attached, but fans also have to grow up when their players move on to other teams and realize that the system in place is designed for player movement. Moose was a solid player for the Brewers. He had some big moments and seems to be a good guy above everything else. He was a nice piece to a talented team that made the playoffs each of the last two seasons but is far from irreplaceable. Give Stearns some time and patience already.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill and the chants themselves are whatever. People want to do it, cool. It's when people start assigning bloated value to mediocre players because they like chanting their name. I'm half kidding but I do think it plays a role. I'm not saying Moose was mediocre, I liked him, he was fine. He's just really not some monumental loss and I don't think he's worth $64m.

wow, you guys are a buzzkill...

You can do you, if you like chanting stuff like that, it's cool, it's just not my thing. I think the bigger point here is that fans tend to attach themselves to players over sentimental things that really don't mean much to the point where they are outraged when everything that was possible wasn't done to keep that player.

We always have to remember, this is a business, players we have come to like will leave, and the only thing that really matters from year to year is winning baseball games. As such, of course I enjoy individual players and root for them but all the while understanding that first and foremost I am a fan of the Milwaukee Brewers the team.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill and the chants themselves are whatever. People want to do it, cool. It's when people start assigning bloated value to mediocre players because they like chanting their name. I'm half kidding but I do think it plays a role. I'm not saying Moose was mediocre, I liked him, he was fine. He's just really not some monumental loss and I don't think he's worth $64m.

I think it is a valid point. If for nothing else, the Kuhn example is exactly it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes, please Cincinnati, start playing Moose at SS! :laughing

“The way you look at our team, the obvious spot where he fits in right away is at second base, but things happen,” said Bell. “And he’s going to be with us at least four years. Having the ability to play first base, play some third base… I really wouldn’t hesitate to put him at short every now and then. He has that kind of feel, and that kind of presence and awareness on the field. Not that he’s going to play there a lot.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-ben-cherington-aspires-to-build-the-bucs-still-cherishes-cistulli/

Yes, please Cincinnati, start playing Moose at SS! :laughing

“The way you look at our team, the obvious spot where he fits in right away is at second base, but things happen,” said Bell. “And he’s going to be with us at least four years. Having the ability to play first base, play some third base… I really wouldn’t hesitate to put him at short every now and then. He has that kind of feel, and that kind of presence and awareness on the field. Not that he’s going to play there a lot.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-ben-cherington-aspires-to-build-the-bucs-still-cherishes-cistulli/

Clancy has now taken an advisor role for the Reds.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 7 months later...

Archived