Brewer Fanatic

Reds Sign Moustakas - 4 Years, $64m

JDBrewCrew
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see this move as similar to Kirk Cousins signing with the Vikings.

Is it a deal that may burn them either with his contract or the fact that they lose other guys 3-5 years from now? Yes.

However, does it make a division competitor a good enough team to challenge us for a playoff spot when we have Yelich/Rodgers in their short prime/contracted windows? Also yes.

I'd probably have preferred the Reds and Vikings to trot out some diamond in the rough minor leaguer or 3rd round draft pick or Case Keenum at QB instead.

Good for Moose. Dumb for the Reds. I don't see any way they don't trade Hader now. Too many holes to fill otherwise.

I don't think Moose signing elsewhere makes Hader any more or less likely to be dealt.

There is still so much offseason left and far too early to say who our starting 3B will be in 2020.

I don't think they are looking at trading Hader as a priority as all but rather an open option where they will let the market come to us and decide whether or not we like what we see.

If you're a GM who's under pressure to win in the next couple years, you don't think twice about giving an extra year or two because you'll be gone if the team doesn't make the playoffs and if you do win, you buy yourself job security to live with a bad back end of a deal

Is it a deal that may burn them either with his contract or the fact that they lose other guys 3-5 years from now? Yes.

However, does it make a division competitor a good enough team to challenge us for a playoff spot when we have Yelich/Rodgers in their short prime/contracted windows? Also yes.

I'd probably have preferred the Reds and Vikings to trot out some diamond in the rough minor leaguer or 3rd round draft pick or Case Keenum at QB instead.

Is this our secret weapon on the pitching side?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think they need some other stuff to happen in order for them to gain 10+ games in the standings.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If you're a GM who's under pressure to win in the next couple years, you don't think twice about giving an extra year or two because you'll be gone if the team doesn't make the playoffs and if you do win, you buy yourself job security to live with a bad back end of a deal

Yes, and this is also how teams can quickly drop to the bottom of the standings and stay there for prolonged periods of time.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Did brew crew 92 get banned?

Yes.

That is a ton of money per year... Good for Moose.

Ton on money per year, and a ton of years. I was thinking he was looking at 3 years, $36 million tops. This deal blows that out of the water.

This was what I was thinking was his ceiling - or close to it. The four year deal is a bit of a shocker.

I would say that the percentage that Moose plays out this whole contact as a member of the Reds is less than 25%. This strikes me as a kind of contract they'll be looking to offload on a team like the Dodgers by 2022 by packaging him with a high-end prospect for a bag of balls.

Moose is a really hard worker. Guys that put in the effort have a better shot at lasting longer. I think it's pretty likely that he's a very good player for at least the next 2 seasons and possibly all 4, I would be surprised if he was in that replacement level category in year 4.

I love how no one here seems to mind that the Brewers have now lost Grandal, Moose and Pomeranz this off season so far. Now there is a HUGE hole in this Brewers lineup to protect Yelich and no one seems alarmed?? How on earth are they going to replace Moose and Grandal's bats with at least equal to or better production than they gave?? No one year stop gaps. That isn't going to cut it. Sure, that's what Moose and Grandal essentially were, but they also had the chance to re sign either one(or both) and didn't.

Stearns has a crap ton of $$ at his disposal...he had better pull of something HUGE, and I mean HUGE to salvage this off season and so the crew doesn't take a step back. Watch the Brewers end up with some schlub like Todd Frazier to play third and someone like Logan Forsythe to play 1st. Like that would replace Moose and Grandal's production...yeah right. And that will do nothing to fill the catching hole either. I hope like hell DS has a plan, because as of right now, it's not looking too good.

I love how no one here seems to mind that the Brewers have now lost Grandal, Moose and Pomeranz this off season so far. Now there is a HUGE hole in this Brewers lineup to protect Yelich and no one seems alarmed?? How on earth are they going to replace Moose and Grandal's bats with at least equal to or better production than they gave?? No one year stop gaps. That isn't going to cut it. Sure, that's what Moose and Grandal essentially were, but they also had the chance to re sign either one(or both) and didn't.

Stearns has a crap ton of $$ at his disposal...he had better pull of something HUGE, and I mean HUGE to salvage this off season and so the crew doesn't take a step back. Watch the Brewers end up with some schlub like Todd Frazier to play third and someone like Logan Forsythe to play 1st. Like that would replace Moose and Grandal's production...yeah right. And that will do nothing to fill the catching hole either. I hope like hell DS has a plan, because as of right now, it's not looking too good.

It's December 2nd.

IT

IS

DECEMBER

2ND

I think everyone here is a little leery of how things have gone so far in the offseason. At the same time, most of us realize that this team is run by smart people who have a plan and a lot of contingencies. Go take this kind of reactionary stuff over to Twitter.

Here we go. You may want to follow one of the top 8markets in baseball. Not one in the bottom 5.

I'm still kind of miffed at this move by the Reds. Did they really need Moose? I mean, they now have Eugenio Suárez locked up through 2024 (and a reasonable option for 2025), Votto through 2023, and now Moose through 2023.

A 35-year old Moustakas at 2B will be interesting to see.

Why not go less (in years and money) on Schoop or Villar or someone like that? And then redirected the savings to other areas of need.

My only thought is that the Reds could trade Eugenio Suárez - who they could get a ton for - and shift Moose over to 3B.

I guess all will be revealed in time....

We had the same holes last year and didn't have them filled on Dec 2nd last year either

Actually ... we had Shaw at 3B and Pina at C last offseason as well, and both were considered quality major leaguers. No one really expected top-end 3B and C signings last year. They came out of the blue ... and moving Moose to 2B was even more out of the blue.

This team is always thinking. I have the feeling we are going to see some pretty big ... and pretty interesting moves in the next couple months.

Here we go. You may want to follow one of the top 8markets in baseball. Not one in the bottom 5.

The Bucks are a small market...they spent a crap ton of cash in the off season...the Packers are a small market...they spent a crap ton of $$ in the off season. That's a crutch that owners of "small market" teams lean on and fans buy into sadly. You are only a "small market" if you act like a small market.

We had the same holes last year and didn't have them filled on Dec 2nd last year either

Actually ... we had Shaw at 3B and Pina at C last offseason as well, and both were considered quality major leaguers. No one really expected top-end 3B and C signings last year. They came out of the blue ... and moving Moose to 2B was even more out of the blue.

This team is always thinking. I have the feeling we are going to see some pretty big ... and pretty interesting moves in the next couple months.

Being a Brewers fan does require patience. Stearns has managed to get players so I have no reason not to believe that won't be the case in 2020.

Archived