Brewer Fanatic

Reds Sign Moustakas - 4 Years, $64m

JDBrewCrew
Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan

·

17s

Mike Moustakas' deal with the Cincinnati Reds is for four years and $64 million, sources tell ESPN.

I love Moose ... but $64 million guaranteed? That is bonkers. That contract has the big possibility of blowing up in the Reds faces. That team continues to be a rudderless ship.

I can definitely see where he won't be worth $16M per season after two years. I can't see it blowing up in their faces though. How long is Votto signed up for? Through social security? Moose can move to 1B, if he loses steps.

Votto is signed through the 2024 season ... so longer than Moose LOL

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey the market has clearly changed. The days of waiting around for a huge bargain might be gone. Losing Moose, Grandal and Thames in one offseason? That's a ton of production gone. Brewers might be a sinking ship unless Attanasio decides to reward his loyal fan base with a Rendon.

Shaw much be breathing easier now. had they signed Moose, Shaw's most likely gone. not saying he wont still be gone, but Stearns is probably less likely to deal/dfa him

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hey the market has clearly changed. The days of waiting around for a huge bargain might be gone. Losing Moose, Grandal and Thames in one offseason? That's a ton of production gone. Brewers might be a sinking ship unless Attanasio decides to reward his loyal fan base with a Rondon.

It's December 2nd.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

On the negative side our offense is really really bad and I really wonder how Stearns is going to make it acceptable after the loss of Moustakas/Grandal.

I'd be concerned if it was February, but can we atleast wait until then before going into full freakout mode. These moves are not made in a vacuum.

I'm not freaking out, not even slightly...but they have already seemingly downgraded at 3B and C...at least as far as free agency goes. Unless you believe they are going to sprint out and sign Rendon. Catcher is still a bit of a mystery. If they go Pina that is a pretty sizable downgrade, which is what I am figuring they do. First base is a real big mystery and they seem to be content with more average to worse production at SS with Urias. Urias may pay off in the long run, but I won't expect much in 2020.

There aren't a lot of FA options that fit nice in the Brewers budget. Either they simply aren't that good or we will need to write big checks. To get a Moustakas/Grandal level replacement on the trade market would cost a lot of prospect capital that I doubt they do. Maybe they shift their focus to investing in pitching, but Stearns hasn't shown much willingness to do that in the past.

Not saying they can't improve...but it isn't as obvious now, especially with Moose not back in fold. That is two .850 OPS bats gone. More curious how Stearns will improve the team...not freaking out like they are goin to be a 90 loss team next year after making no big moves.

Hey the market has clearly changed. The days of waiting around for a huge bargain might be gone. Losing Moose, Grandal and Thames in one offseason? That's a ton of production gone. Brewers might be a sinking ship unless Attanasio decides to reward his loyal fan base with a Rondon.

Really? Just so we're clear, how many big ticket free agents have signed so far?

As a Brewer fan it appears more active because Grandal, Moose and Pomeranz have already signed huge deals, but overall the market is not moving at a lightning pace.

It's Dec. 2. Stay calm. Good things will happen.

Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan

·

17s

Mike Moustakas' deal with the Cincinnati Reds is for four years and $64 million, sources tell ESPN.

I love Moose ... but $64 million guaranteed? That is bonkers. That contract has the big possibility of blowing up in the Reds faces. That team continues to be a rudderless ship.

I can definitely see where he won't be worth $16M per season after two years. I can't see it blowing up in their faces though. How long is Votto signed up for? Through social security? Moose can move to 1B, if he loses steps.

Votto is signed up for 4 years just like Moose. 4/$100 left for Votto, 4/$64 for Mous.

It's December 2nd.

If anything, the market has shifted back to more normal. Prior to the last 2 offseasons, teams spent all their money in December...and the teams that "won" the offseason generally waited until everyone else spent all their money and got solid players at bargain rates. So if anything this is a return to the norm and overall good news for the Brewers(and baseball in general).

Moustakas played hard for the Crew, so good for him. I will always remember his game winning hit vs the Rockies in the 2018 NLDS.

You know he will hit, but the Reds will need to become more of an infield shift team for this to be successful defensively.

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"

John Wooden

I'm super happy for Moose too, he was notorious for being one of the hardest workers and overall great for the clubhouse. I'm most sad that I opted to trade him away on my dynasty league team toward the end of last year. He's going to hit 50 homers in that little sandbox in Cincy.

It's December 2nd.

If anything, the market has shifted back to more normal. Prior to the last 2 offseasons, teams spent all their money in December...and the teams that "won" the offseason generally waited until everyone else spent all their money and got solid players at bargain rates. So if anything this is a return to the norm and overall good news for the Brewers(and baseball in general).

Over the long haul I think it's good for the Brewers but I do think this offseason it would be nice to get some tier B guys on 1-2 year deals. We're probably in the back-end of a contention window so Mark would be willing to overpay...but not this much.

I'm not freaking out, not even slightly...but they have already seemingly downgraded at 3B and C...at least as far as free agency goes. Unless you believe they are going to sprint out and sign Rendon. Catcher is still a bit of a mystery. If they go Pina that is a pretty sizable downgrade, which is what I am figuring they do. First base is a real big mystery and they seem to be content with more average to worse production at SS with Urias. Urias may pay off in the long run, but I won't expect much in 2020.

There aren't a lot of FA options that fit nice in the Brewers budget. Either they simply aren't that good or we will need to write big checks. To get a Moustakas/Grandal level replacement on the trade market would cost a lot of prospect capital that I doubt they do. Maybe they shift their focus to investing in pitching, but Stearns hasn't shown much willingness to do that in the past.

Not saying they can't improve...but it isn't as obvious now, especially with Moose not back in fold. That is two .850 OPS bats gone. More curious how Stearns will improve the team...not freaking out like they are goin to be a 90 loss team next year after making no big moves.

i wasn't really signaling you out, i am more frustrated by the amount of fans here and other places that are freaking out so early into the offseason.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As everyone says, good for Moose. He was a good player for us.

I would have preferred he signed out of the division, but such is life.

I am a bit skeptical of the years and price tag, so in the end, I'm glad it's someone else and not Milwaukee. But I will miss the guy.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Bruce Rondon was our big FA acquisition of the offseason.

i wasn't really signaling you out, i am more frustrated by the amount of fans here and other places that are freaking out so early into the offseason.

I get it, I wasn't trying to make it come off that way. I just assume they will try to be highly competitive again next year and Moose not coming back is a little bit of a twist. I figured we would invest some money and have his bat back...but obviously a team decided to value him like a 2B.

While some may start the "break year" or whatever you want to call it talk I am not convinced Attanasio or even Stearns would just shrug off a year of the pieces we have on this team currently. I think they make moves to be good.

Moustakas was the #10 2B in baseball last year according to fangraphs. I believe that accounts for his defense at 3B too (which probably helps matters). Is that a lot of money for a #8 to #15 2B in the league? Seems a bit steep to me even if he keeps repeating his 2019 season, suppose maybe market rate. I don't think it is a terrible deal for the Reds if he keeps producing...but they certainly paid for it.

Archived