JDBrewCrew

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

56s

Breaking: Reds agree to deal with Mike Moustakas

Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

42s

Brewers were not optimistic about chances of Moustakas returning. Now, he goes to a division rival.

Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan

BREAKING: Third baseman Mike Moustakas and the Cincinnati Reds are in agreement on a four-year deal, league sources tell ESPN.

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

37s

Moustakas will play second base for #Reds. Also on it: @JeffPassan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Four years! Wow! I really like Moose, and he was great in his year + here. But there is no way I want to go to four years on him.

Good for him, though. That is exactly what he's been looking for the last two offseasons, and was shut out both times. I think other free agents are going to see what Grandal and Moose are getting, and look at the Brewers as a solid place to rebuild value.

Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan

·

12s

Mike Moustakas' four-year deal with the Cincinnati Reds will be for more than $60 million, sources tell ESPN.

He is expected to play second base, as

@Ken_Rosenthal

said.

@JonHeyman

was also on the Moustakas deal.

Four years! Wow! I really like Moose, and he was great in his year + here. But there is no way I want to go to four years on him.

Good for him, though. That is exactly what he's been looking for the last two offseasons, and was shut out both times. I think other free agents are going to see what Grandal and Moose are getting, and look at the Brewers as a solid place to rebuild value.

Milwaukee will have the most one-year Free Agent contracts while David Stearns is at the helm.

I find this oddly sad even though I wasn't fond of giving him a multi-year deal. I just liked the guy.

The day he showed up wearing a Giannis jersey, I was all in on team Moose.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

lol 4 years and more than $60mil? I wanted him back, but that is way too much when he has to play 3B here. Good player, underrated by many...but hard pass. Brewers may have made a mistake not getting Moustakas on a reasonable 3 year deal last offseason.

On the negative side our offense is really really bad and I really wonder how Stearns is going to make it acceptable after the loss of Moustakas/Grandal.

Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan

·

17s

Mike Moustakas' deal with the Cincinnati Reds is for four years and $64 million, sources tell ESPN.

I love Moose ... but $64 million guaranteed? That is bonkers. That contract has the big possibility of blowing up in the Reds faces. That team continues to be a rudderless ship.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Moose, Pomeranz, and Grandal all get four year deals.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

lol 4 years and more than $60mil? I wanted him back, but that is way too much when he has to play 3B here. Good player, underrated by many...but hard pass. Brewers may have made a mistake not getting Moustakas on a reasonable 3 year deal last offseason.

On the negative side our offense is really really bad and I really wonder how Stearns is going to make it acceptable after the loss of Moustakas/Grandal.

Sign Aguilar and Thames back up, and its time to party like it's 2018!

If Moose gets 64 million, what does Donaldson get?

Exactly. For a second I thought that we could sign Donaldson after seeing the Moose news but he should command a lot more.

Two Things:

Donaldson is going on 34

Donaldson is a 3B, the Reds are valuing Moose as a 2B. Moustakas is obviously more valuable offensively at 2B (much more so).

Not saying Donaldson will/won't get more...just that the two are not directly comparable.

Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan

·

17s

Mike Moustakas' deal with the Cincinnati Reds is for four years and $64 million, sources tell ESPN.

I love Moose ... but $64 million guaranteed? That is bonkers. That contract has the big possibility of blowing up in the Reds faces. That team continues to be a rudderless ship.

I can definitely see where he won't be worth $16M per season after two years. I can't see it blowing up in their faces though. How long is Votto signed up for? Through social security? Moose can move to 1B, if he loses steps.

Bummed that Moose signed with a rival. Was hoping to see him go to an AL team.

The Brewers taking the chance on signing him and installing him at 2B really paid off for him ... and paid off for the Brewers. It was a terrific move all around, even though by showing an ability to play a decent 2B, and put up great numbers in the process, he seemingly priced himself out of Milwaukee. I expect Moose to put up All-Star caliber numbers with the Reds in 2020. There could be a drop-off after that, but he should have no problems hitting in that bandbox of a stadium for half his games.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Reds must think (hope) their young guys are going to take a big step forward. Votto's done, IMO.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd be concerned if it was February, but can we atleast wait until then before going into full freakout mode. These moves are not made in a vacuum.

Archived