Brewer Fanatic

Should Suter be in the rotation or the bullpen?

BrewersAA

With Pomeranz signing with the Padres I think the pen could use his left-handed-ness. The pen certainly had an uptick when he joined.

I was definitely leaning more toward hoping they would try to get him ready to be put back in the rotation so there would be a lefty, but with lauer coming back fro Davies I feel like there less pressure to put him there. I know some people don’t think it’s important but I’ve always thought there was good value to having a mixed rotation. I remember how much more effective doug Davis always seemed to be facing a lineup that just saw sheets.

What do you all think?

Personally, I'd put Suter back in the rotation and consider turning Lauer into a Pomeranz type role.

My guess is that the Brewers brass saw something in Lauer's pitch mix that they liked/think they can fix and probably have a role in mind for him already.

I do agree that one of Suter/Lauer does seem ticketed for the bullpen. Possibly both, depending on how the offseason plays out.

I'm really hoping that Freddy Peralta is given another crack at the rotation, given his upside, however.

I'd prefer his primary role be as someone who goes 1-3 innings.

They may need him to make some starts during the season, but how they used him coming back from TJS last season seemed to be perfect for him. He was effective and highly impacted winning games.

Tend to agree. The old Marco Estrada role, starts when needed but otherwise mostly long relief. Have him ready to pitch 3 innings anytime a starter has a bad outing...obviously making him available to fill in for a start or two whenever needed.

If Suter pitches like he did this season, he definitely isn't going to pitch in games we are behind by a bunch already. He will pitch in higher leverage games for 1-3 innings depending on circumstances.

Tend to agree. The old Marco Estrada role, starts when needed but otherwise mostly long relief. Have him ready to pitch 3 innings anytime a starter has a bad outing...obviously making him available to fill in for a start or two whenever needed.

If Suter pitches like he did this season, he definitely isn't going to pitch in games we are behind by a bunch already. He will pitch in higher leverage games for 1-3 innings depending on circumstances.

He needs to repeat his success of last year before we give him an expanded or even the same role ,he’s the type of pitcher we hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Even through his minors career I would have called myself a hater but I definitely wasn’t a believer, but the guy just keeps producing at every level. I think he’s best in the pen, but I also think everyone’s stuff plays up when you mix in a Suter

Personally, I'd put Suter back in the rotation and consider turning Lauer into a Pomeranz type role.

My guess is that the Brewers brass saw something in Lauer's pitch mix that they liked/think they can fix and probably have a role in mind for him already.

I do agree that one of Suter/Lauer does seem ticketed for the bullpen. Possibly both, depending on how the offseason plays out.

I'm really hoping that Freddy Peralta is given another crack at the rotation, given his upside, however.

I want all 3 in the pen badly. Think about the mix of Woodruff RH heavy FB to odd duck Suter. That'll mess you up. I'd love to see Lauer start in the early season Chase Anderson role. Peralta, I see as a no brainer in the pen.

Yes, I want 3 FA starters. Nothing big name but 3. While most people point to this new 3 batter minimum rule as a problem, I only see that as a problem for Loogeys. It's far more interesting that NL teams gained an extra PH. More reason (easier) to super pen with double switches that put a guy in for multiple innings. I only want MKE to have 2-3 traditional relievers. Suter Lauer Peralta Hader are a great start to 5-6 multi inning guys.

If they can add another starter who'll give them 6+ innings, I'd have Suter start. He was very valuable with Chase Anderson usually going just 5. I think they need Peralta as a late inning guy. They should be able to find bridge guys or they can just bring back Nelson for that role.

I want all 3 in the pen badly. Think about the mix of Woodruff RH heavy FB to odd duck Suter. That'll mess you up. I'd love to see Lauer start in the early season Chase Anderson role. Peralta, I see as a no brainer in the pen.

Yes, I want 3 FA starters. Nothing big name but 3. While most people point to this new 3 batter minimum rule as a problem, I only see that as a problem for Loogeys. It's far more interesting that NL teams gained an extra PH. More reason (easier) to super pen with double switches that put a guy in for multiple innings. I only want MKE to have 2-3 traditional relievers. Suter Lauer Peralta Hader are a great start to 5-6 multi inning guys.

IMO they got Lauer to be the lefty starter they so despirately need. Suter's value is in the pen as is Peralta's. Peralta showed he is great for multiple innings as long as he gets two days rest between appearences.

This is a great thread, I agree with everyone!! If Hader is the closer again (knebel?) having Suter in the pen seems necessary. I wonder where Corbin Burnes is. His flame out was mental, the stuff is incredible, would be nice to have the good version of him in the rotation next year.

His pace and quirkiness just screams "one time through the order". When he started with us before he always was yanked early because a large portion of his effectiveness comes from making the hitters uncomfortable with his pace and style of pitching. Once they see it once, he becomes much more hittable I think?

So my two cents, I'd keep him exactly where he is. Have him follow a harder throwing starter for 2-3 innings; he is so effective and so valuable to bridge that middle game gap.

IMO they got Lauer to be the lefty starter they so despirately need. Suter's value is in the pen as is Peralta's. Peralta showed he is great for multiple innings as long as he gets two days rest between appearences.

I agree that they need a lefty starter, but Lauer is an interesting choice in that respect since he has pretty stark reverse splits. He has allowed a .886 OPS against left handed batters over his short career so far (including allowing a .914 OPS against LHBs last year). It will be interesting to see if opposing managers go with standard platoon-type lineups against him (as they would against a typical LHP) or whether they just stick with their lefty batters.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

As of right now, like NOW, Suter is in the rotation. Starters on the roster are minimal, and he has positive experience there. He's slotted behind Woody, Lauer, and Houser now. Maybe Peralta rounds out the rotation now.

If Peralta is anywhere near the starting rotation to open the season I think most will consider it a declaration that they're not serious about competing this year. One pitch guys who can't command even that one pitch typically struggle out of the pen let alone the starting rotation.

As of right now, like NOW, Suter is in the rotation. Starters on the roster are minimal, and he has positive experience there. He's slotted behind Woody, Lauer, and Houser now. Maybe Peralta rounds out the rotation now.

If Peralta is anywhere near the starting rotation to open the season I think most will consider it a declaration that they're not serious about competing this year. One pitch guys who can't command even that one pitch typically struggle out of the pen let alone the starting rotation.

OR could it be possible that a young pitcher has shown some growth and made strides over the winter. Same for Burnes. I think there are plenty of reasonable people who wouldn't write off the season going with those two in the rotation if warranted in ST over known quantities who have never come close to displaying either of their potential.

OR could it be possible that a young pitcher has shown some growth and made strides over the winter. Same for Burnes. I think there are plenty of reasonable people who wouldn't write off the season going with those two in the rotation if warranted in ST over known quantities who have never come close to displaying either of their potential.

That's a good point. Remember how many people were ready to cut bait on Brandon Woodruff once upon a time? it's a very good thing that front offices are typically more patient with players than fans are.

After hearing an interview recently with Stearns, he stressed the importance of the Brewers developing their own pitchers.

This leaves me to believe that at least one of Peralta or Burnes is planned to be put back into the rotation plans.

My guess is that it’s Peralta, as he did show flashes of brilliance as a Starter at times last season.

Unsurprisingly, David also seemed really high on Eric Lauer.

I think he could end up being a pleasant surprise as a Brewer.

My guess is that whichever is more impressive in spring training will get a starting spot. (Peralta and Burnes) My gut tells me that Burnes is just too good not to get that spot, and that Peralta has a lot more value coming out of the bullpen.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived