Brewer Fanatic

Interesting read: Off season to do list - National League Central

TURBO

Agreed with all, though I really don't think Arcia is worth much of anything in trade .

Well, this is a package BaseballTradeValues.com says would work:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-16991/

BREWERS GET:

RHP Ian Kennedy

OF Kyle Isbel

ROYALS GET:

SS Orlando Arcia

Kennedy is expensive, but he has found a second life as a closer/reliever. Posted career-high 10.4 K/9 ratio, had 30 saves, and would be a nice insurance policy for Knebel.

Isbel is an interesting CF prospect... may be looking to rebound after 2019.

Agreed with all, though I really don't think Arcia is worth much of anything in trade .

BREWERS GET:

RHP Ian Kennedy

OF Kyle Isbel

ROYALS GET:

SS Orlando Arcia

Kennedy is expensive, but he has found a second life as a closer/reliever. Posted career-high 10.4 K/9 ratio, had 30 saves, and would be a nice insurance policy for Knebel.

Just say no. Isbel hit .233/.296 in Rk/A ball. He looked overmatched at A level. Kennedy would cost $16.4M! Waaay too expensive to even think about. For that kind of money Stearns could get Lyles and Bentances.

BREWERS GET:

RHP Ian Kennedy

OF Kyle Isbel

ROYALS GET:

SS Orlando Arcia

Just say no. Isbel hit .233/.296 in Rk/A ball. He looked overmatched at A level. Kennedy would cost $16.4M! Waaay too expensive to even think about. For that kind of money Stearns could get Lyles and Bentances.

If you want to move Arcia, then it's likely for a package like this - or something similar. A player in the same sort of situation, or a combination of a bad contract that may be sweetened with a lottery ticket or two.

If you want to move Arcia, then it's likely for a package like this - or something similar. A player in the same sort of situation, or a combination of a bad contract that may be sweetened with a lottery ticket or two.

But why? There's zero need to move Arcia this year, and taking on bad salary just to do so makes zero sense for a team like Milwaukee.

If that's the case then I keep Arcia and spend the saved $15M on pretty much any FA expected to go for that much (ie. Castellanos/~$14.5M AAV, Keuchel/13, Hamels/15, Ozuna/15) or on a package of players (choose two: Betances/~$7M AAV, Hudson/6, Miley/8, Moustakas/10, Encarnacion/8, Kendrick/6, Dickerson/7.5). Of course that all comes with the caveat that you're able to get them to sign, but pretty much anything you do with FA would be better than taking on Kennedy's contract.

I'd rather keep Arcia as an unconventional "super sub". He would only come in to play short, but it would allow other players to shift to cover 2B, 3B, etc., as needed.

I'm as down on Arcia as anyone but giving him away, much less taking on salary to do so, doesn't make a lick of sense. Worst case, he takes the Hernan Perez role this year. Not quite the same positional versatility as Perez, but with Urias, Arcia could be used to give our 2B, SS, and 3B their needed off days. And once we have our 3B pinned down, if that individual has the ability to play 1B, (or vice versa) Arcia could help give the entire IF the rest days CC likes to provide. How so...

Basically, if Urias wins the everyday SS job as I expect, Arcia becomes his primary backup. But since Urias can play 2B and 3B, we can shift him to either of those places and insert Arica at SS to give Hiura and our 3B a day off. And if our 3B has the ability to play 1B, our first baseman can get a day off with our 3B shifting to 1B, Urias at 3B and Arcia at SS.

This is where I think they're ultimately heading. The key being adding a player who plays both 3B and 1B. Supplementing a Moustakas return with Howie Kendrick would be just about the perfect fit. Something I called for the day they decided to turn down Thames option. I really hope it happens.

Archived