Brewer Fanatic

Jake Lamb

There’s a strong chance that the Dbacks non tender Jake Lamb and I’m personally hoping he’s on Stearns radar.

The similarities between Lamb and Travis Shaw are striking. Both Left handed hitting corner INF still in their baseball prime coming off a very down year.

I personally think Lamb is a better hitter with a better batting eye and more upside. He also has been injury plaqued the last two years, unlike Shaw, which I think is a huge factor in his lack of production.

I think he’s a better bounce back candidate than Shaw and would love to see him do it as a Brewer.

Could be a moot point as I think the Dbacks are still high on him and may keep him.

Non Tender deadline is Monday BTW.

Posts like this are the perfect example of fans thinking the grass is greener. If Shaw hadn't been on the Brewers the last few years we'd be clamoring for the Brewers to add him if as a free agent hoping to he's a prime bounce back candidate.

Shaw's 17-18 were better than Lamb's 16-17. Shaw has been healthy. Shaw grades out better defensively at 3rd. Shaw has proven to be capable at 2b if needed. Lamb is even worse vs LHP than Shaw.

There's really nothing that leads me to believe Lamb will be good or healthy in 2020. If the Brewers were to gamble on one of these two players it absolutely should be Shaw.

Shaw is the #2 comparison to Lamb, per baseball-reference.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lambja01.shtml

The good news - if you can call it that comes two ways:

1. Lamb's OPS+ has been 74 and 76 the last two years. Shaw's was 45.

2. He is projected to "Rebound" to a .764 OPS in 2020

The bad news:

1. Lamb's collapse has been sustained over two years

2. His batting average dropped below the Uecker line, even as OPS+ went up to 76 from 74.

I'd take him on to a minor-league deal, NRI to spring training, with an opt-out after July 1.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This feels like the classic "reshuffling deck chairs on the Titanic" move. We have Shaw. If they're keeping him, cool. If they're going to non-tender Shaw, I REALLY hope it's not to bring in a guy who's had a super similar career track. Lamb isn't significantly different or better, this just feels like making a move to do it.

Both Shaw and Lamb are worth minor league deals. As long as they don't commit close to $5 million to Shaw which would force them to give him substantial opportunities to see if he's back. I really liked Lamb a few years ago, but then again, I liked Shaw too. Now? Eh. Thing is, with the way defenses are positioned, no type of hitter is more affected than LH pull hitters like Shaw and Lamb. I think it gets in their heads.

Lamb is probably a minor league deal only type guy. He's not worth a major league deal, especially if he can't play 3b. Since last year was his first year after a major injury, it's certainly possible his bat comes back to life. I'd bet on Shaw having a more productive year than Lamb though.

Jake Lamb tendered a contract and Travis Shaw non tendered.

Gives you an indication of how their respective organizations valued them.

Especially since the Brewers are in desparate need of corner infielders and the Dbacks are in the opposite situation.

With the Diamondbacks depth at IF, wonder what the cost would be for Eduardo Escobar to man third as a trade target. Switch hitter, 269/320/511 last year, 35 HR's, can play multiple positions. Seems like a Stearns type of target. Owed only 14M over the next two years.

The Dbacks depth chart on ESPN shows Lamb as their starting 3B and Escobar as their 2B.

I consider Shaw a better version of Lamb who has shown a much better ability to hit lefties outside of last season. I don't think Lamb is a solution at 3B but he can be part of a solution if we go with a platoon.

Archived