Brewer Fanatic

Jonathan Villar waived

adambr2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Traded to Miami for Easton Lucas.

Villar is a good player that can put up great counting stats playing for non-contending clubs. He played pretty well for awful Astros clubs that moved on from him as soon as they were ready to win. His big year in Milwaukee came when they were actively rebuilding the roster with no expectations of winning. Then he turned down a contract extension to bet on himself and proceeded to play below average the next two years on Brewer clubs that were also trying to win. His subpar play on a contending club made his warts - namely his apparent low baseball IQ - stand out.

He has another good year in Baltimore playing for an awful team that he his warts can once again be largely hidden - Miami is a fantastic place for him to keep racking up empty stats.

I really pulled for Villar to put it all together as a Brewer because his physical tools are tantalizing for a team in search of a leadoff hitter who could wreak havoc on the bases...Villar's body of work points to him not quite realizing that potential and having a better overall career playing for teams that aren't playoff contenders. He got more than a fair shake in Milwaukee to become a longtime Brewer, but his performance suffered when wins/losses were the organizational priority.

I don't know what to expect from Villar but to be fair saying he can only play for bad teams is a bit unjustified. His one bad year for the Brewers was injury riddled and then he wasn't given a full time job the next year. He is a hard guy to read but it seems like people are throwing a lot of narrative at him that really isn't based on any sort of concrete facts.

I don't know what to expect from Villar but to be fair saying he can only play for bad teams is a bit unjustified. His one bad year for the Brewers was injury riddled and then he wasn't given a full time job the next year. He is a hard guy to read but it seems like people are throwing a lot of narrative at him that really isn't based on any sort of concrete facts.

Welcome to the internet.

It is grasping at straws level.

I like Villar, a lot. I think he is a very very good player. I tend to think athleticism is a little undervalued in MLB right now, which is ironic because it is overvalued in College Baseball (in my opinion).

On a personal level, Villar was super nice to my kid, and signed a Baseball for him. He is a guy my family will always root for.

I just don’t think Villar fits into the Stearns/Counsell M.O. right now. I’m OK with that.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I don't know anything definitive about his clubhouse presence, but there is enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that he wasn't favored relative to, say, a Hernan Perez.

Also, it was apparent watching the games that he just wasn't in tune with the game situation at all.

Those aren't concrete facts, but they aren't exactly rampant internet speculations either.

Archived