Brewer Fanatic

Gibson to Rangers - 3 Years $30mil

JDBrewCrew

Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan

Right-hander Kyle Gibson and the Texas Rangers are in agreement on a three-year, $30 million deal, sources tell ESPN.

It’s the first move in what’s expected to be a very busy winter for the Rangers as they head into their new stadium. They need pitching. Gibson is first step.

If Gibson is getting 3 yrs and $30M, pitching prices are going higher than expected (or at least higher than I envisioned)..

He was projected around 2/18 in a few places. So I agree, it looks like free agency is going to be expensive this year. Waiting to see what Pom got from the Padres, that 3rd year is looking like a trend.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Gibson is getting 3 yrs and $30M, pitching prices are going higher than expected (or at least higher than I envisioned)..

That's how it's looking -- at least for now.

The thing that happens is that teams use up their available cap space and prices start to come down. That's when Stearns likes to operate. Not always -- but often.

Not upset at all about this.

At lends not draw too many conclusions on early free agent signings. Lance Lynn signed early last year for roughly the same deal and that didn't exactly cause the market to go wild for mid-back end rotation types.

Gibson got very sick in Spring Training last year with an intestinal issue, apparently, and came out of the gates slow and ran out of gas late in the year.

I think that in 2018 he showed that he was effective with a better pitch mix. I'm not crying about the Brewers not making this deal or anything but I think he'll be better than some people think.

Archived