Brewer Fanatic

Davies and Grisham to San Diego, Urias and Lauer to the Brewers

JDBrewCrew

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything the Brewers have done so far this offseason has freed up payroll. Lauer is slightly younger and cheaper than Davies and is left handed. I'm fine with that swap. I'm hoping that means they are serious players for a top bat or top arm or both. Grisham would have been 4th outfielder. Urias will be starting SS. It's a lot easier finding a good solid bat to share the backup OF role with Gamel than it is a young starting SS with upside.

Rosenthal tweeted earlier this year near the trade deadline that Padres/Brewers discussed Grisham trade.

I think this is an important point. The reporting at the time was that the Padres had interest in acquiring Grisham. In this case it seems likely the Padres may have been the aggressor in targeting a player they wanted, and the Brewers were possibly able to leverage that into their favor.

I know it was mentioned earlier, but this is by far the most lopsided valuation in the short history of the Baseball Trade Values site which started last season. The Brewers would have had to include $60 million to make this trade make sense according to their initial valuation. I do think they had Urias too high, and Grisham too low, but still...

49133757537_3c935eae3c_c_d.jpg

All that being said, I do think the Padres are, at the very least, getting a major league regular in Grisham.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Everything the Brewers have done so far this offseason has freed up payroll. Lauer is slightly younger and cheaper than Davies and is left handed. I'm fine with that swap. I'm hoping that means they are serious players for a top bat or top arm or both. Grisham would have been 4th outfielder. Urias will be starting SS. It's a lot easier finding a good solid bat to share the backup OF role with Gamel than it is a young starting SS with upside.

Is it possible that they could be cutting payroll and thats it?

I really liked Grisham, and have always been a huge Davies fan. He's always been under appreciated by this fanbase.

That said ... WOW! David Stearns is good at his job. Urias is a legit young stud. Lauer is a young, very serviceable lefty that can be plugged right into the rotation. This is a dang good deal.

I do wonder if the plan is for Urias to be the top bench guy capable of playing multiple positions, or if he is the future SS? Or maybe even future 2B, if they are dangling Hiura in a trade? I'm sure Stearns will shed light on that eventually.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Or could be that payroll deduction is just what happens when you gain guys with extra years of control.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They drew almost 3 million last year. I'd like them to sign either of these two combinations: Wheeler and Moustakas or Rendon and Lyles.

I really liked Grisham, and have always been a huge Davies fan. He's always been under appreciated by this fanbase.

That said ... WOW! David Stearns is good at his job. Urias is a legit young stud. Lauer is a young, very serviceable lefty that can be plugged right into the rotation. This is a dang good deal.

I do wonder if the plan is for Urias to be the top bench guy capable of playing multiple positions, or if he is the future SS? Or maybe even future 2B, if they are dangling Hiura in a trade? I'm sure Stearns will shed light on that eventually.

I was lukewarm on Grisham, Davies, I liked him quite alot, think many around here didn't hold him in high regard due to his lack of a blazing fastball. The combo of having him throwing 88-90mph fastball and then bringing in someone with a 95+ fastball was a good strategy IMO.

Personally I think the Brewers are making moves partially aimed at clearing payroll. I still expect a return of Moustakas and I definitely believe a major pitching addition is plausible.

The Brewers have cut payroll by getting rid of both Davies and Anderson...both of which are better than the one guy they added (Lauer). To me that screams big addition coming in the rotation. Just a guess, but I expect some notable payroll spending at some point here.

Anything is possible, and you aren’t the only person who has expressed the fear that this is all just a huge payroll reduction, but I honestly can’t figure out why this has gained such traction in some corners of Brewers fandom. What has happened in the last five years to make you think a payroll reduction is coming with young talent throughout the roster, an MVP in his prime, and two consecutive playoff appearances? When the Brewers have really wanted a player, haven’t they spent money on them? They haven’t exactly been acting like the Tampa Bay Rays in recent offseasons. I know the whole small-market mindset makes fans a little quick to criticize sometimes, and when it came out that Stearns and the front office co-authored the proposal to trim MiLB affiliates it made the org look kind of cheap, but the Brewers aren’t the only ones who behave this way. Everyone is looking to spend wiser, not always larger.

By the time Opening Day rolls around, however, I’d be shocked if payroll didn’t at least approach last year’s opening day figure. I don’t see any indication that the team wants to do anything in 2020 but win. Let’s enjoy the ride.

Personally I think the Brewers are making moves partially aimed at clearing payroll. I still expect a return of Moustakas and I definitely believe a major pitching addition is plausible.

The Brewers have cut payroll by getting rid of both Davies and Anderson...both of which are better than the one guy they added (Lauer). To me that screams big addition coming in the rotation. Just a guess, but I expect some notable payroll spending at some point here.

I think they'll spend but I highly doubt that is going to be on a rotation add. I'd like them to take a run at Alex Wood if they think he is healthy but I doubt we see much more than something like that. I think they spend on offense.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Anything is possible, and you aren’t the only person who has expressed the fear that this is all just a huge payroll reduction, but I honestly can’t figure out why this has gained such traction in some corners of Brewers fandom. What has happened in the last five years to make you think a payroll reduction is coming with young talent throughout the roster, an MVP in his prime, and two consecutive playoff appearances? When the Brewers have really wanted a player, haven’t they spent money on them? They haven’t exactly been acting like the Tampa Bay Rays in recent offseasons. I know the whole small-market mindset makes fans a little quick to criticize sometimes, and when it came out that Stearns and the front office co-authored the proposal to trim MiLB affiliates it made the org look kind of cheap, but the Brewers aren’t the only ones who behave this way. Everyone is looking to spend wiser, not always larger.

By the time Opening Day rolls around, however, I’d be shocked if payroll didn’t at least approach last year’s opening day figure. I don’t see any indication that the team wants to do anything in 2020 but win. Let’s enjoy the ride.

One thought might be that maybe with the rules changing next year, the Brewers feel like they can't compete without expanded rosters. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but being able to utilize that many guys, especially for pitching has been a huge boon to the Brewers these last couple of years, with it going away now, maybe they feel like the deck is stacked against them.

I'm not saying I think that, but that could be ONE school of thought for some that believe payroll may get cut.

One thought might be that maybe with the rules changing next year, the Brewers feel like they can't compete without expanded rosters. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but being able to utilize that many guys, especially for pitching has been a huge boon to the Brewers these last couple of years, with it going away now, maybe they feel like the deck is stacked against them.

I'm not saying I think that, but that could be ONE school of thought for some that believe payroll may get cut.

If they’re worried about that (and I agree that it is alarming how much of a proportion of their regular season success has come in September with expanded rosters), then why shouldn’t we see the moves so far as a massive effort to shift resources towards an ace? The crew could deemphasize starting pitching the last two years because they knew September and October were going to be played differently, and they could ride the AAA shuttle with a bunch of marginal guys in order to hang around playoff position from April-August. Now, starting pitchers will be worth more to the Brewers than at any time in Stearns’ tenure. Isn’t the logical conclusion that he is acting accordingly?

I feel kind of bad that Grisham's final moment as a Brewer was what happened at the end of the playoff game. Hopefully he's feeling better about everything and sees this as a clean slate.

The guy made an error. He didn't kill a guy. Clean slate analogies are harsh for a guy who had a fabulous 2019.

At the very least, Urias appears ready to hit MLB LHP right now. At the very least he’ll start Vs LHP’s and most likely he’ll be our every day starting SS very soon (with 6 years of control)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That's a false narrative I see all the time. Brewers success late in the season had very little to do with expanded rosters. They rarely used any of the call-ups.

They did use the bullpen often, however. A deeper bullpen gave CC a whole lot of flexibility in managing a game in Sept., especially with pulling the SP earlier in games

I'm cool with this trade. The Brewers desperately needed an upgrade at SS and Urias is almost certainly that.

I'm bummed that Davies is going the other way though. I really enjoy watching him and he has long been one of my favorite Brewers players. Lauer slots right into the rotation though so they at least didn't lose depth even if they lost some quality.

It will be interesting to see what they do leading up to the tender deadline. If Urias is going to be the starting SS, do they retain Arcia? Obviously a whole host of other players who are questionable as well.

Did...people really think non-jokingly that a player modeling uniforms would make one more or less likely to be traded? No offense to anyone who did...but players have been traded before right before their own bobblehead days. Stuff happens and plans are always fluid.