Brewer Fanatic

Davies and Grisham to San Diego, Urias and Lauer to the Brewers

JDBrewCrew

It seems that Stearns could fill a roster with eight outfielders and five catchers and Counsell would find a way to get them all playing time while winning games.
You mean like in 1995 when we used 4 catchers regularly in the starting lineup. Surhoff in LF, Nillson in RF, Matheny/Oliver at catcher. Sadly, it sort of worked. 3 of the 4 had pretty good seasons, though they should have tried them at pitcher cause they had none that year. https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/1995.shtml

These mid to late 90s teams were the genesis of my user name. I think I am ready to change it now, thanks to Stearns and company.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who had Luis Urias leading the 2021 Brewers in plate appearances back in April?

2021 (with 5 games remaining):

Urias: 2.8 rWAR, .249/.345/.444, 789 OPS, 110 OPS+, 557 PA, 22 HR, 73 RBI

Grisham: 2.8 rWAR, .239/.325/.410, 735 OPS, 104 OPS+, 508 PA, 15 HR, 59 RBI

And for fun, let's compare Eric Lauer to San Diego's two big-name SP acquisitions:

Lauer: 2.5 rWAR, 113.2 IP, 7-5, 2.93 ERA, 145 ERA+, 1.117 WHIP, 3.84 FIP

Snell: 1.3 rWAR, 128.2 IP, 7-6, 4.20 ERA, 93 ERA+, 1.321 WHIP, 3.81 FIP

Darvish: 1.4 rWAR, 166.1 IP, 8-11, 4.22 ERA, 93 ERA+, 1.094 WHIP, 3.89 FIP

We have two young'ish guys entering their prime and having a lot of success. Awesome trade right now and hope it continues moving into future seasons.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is one of those trades that just makes you remember: The Brewers know more than we do. Yes, they will whiff, but in general, they put players in a spot to be most successful and to help the team compete with the best teams in the league. I have no idea how the playoffs will go, but I am excited for the product that the Crew is churning out(even if it is maddening at times).

So many terrible takes in this thread. Truly a prime example of why you should never judge a book by its cover.

And yet the book has barely started and still too early to really know how this shakes out in the end. Luis Urias is having a stellar year, but lets see if he can truly keep his power long term. Without it his value tanks quickly at 3B. Eric Lauer is having a pretty awesome year, but it feels a lot like 2017 Chase Anderson. Chase Anderson was a solid starter (though many hated him), but he obviously never repeated his sub. 3 ERA year. Not to say they won't continue to be impressive in the future, but one or both could easily fall well off what they did this year.

Though it is probably safe to say it is looking pretty good long term and safe to say it certainly was not a loss.

Why are so many so quick to slam hot takes on trades and acquisitions?

Every single person on these boards has posted things that didn't age well.

Why do we have to have it pointed out so child-like on so many occasions?

Is it to make the people doing the finger pointing feel good about themselves?

It's just so.....catty.

Geez.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Why are so many so quick to slam hot takes on trades and acquisitions?

Every single person on these boards has posted things that didn't age well.

Why do we have to have it pointed out so child-like on so many occasions?

Is it to make the people doing the finger pointing feel good about themselves?

It's just so.....catty.

Geez.

Because there are also plenty of posters that get tired of the nearly constant snipes at management, too. I would argue that judging a trade immediately, or nearly immediately as many did last year when Lauer and Urias struggled, while Grisham looked like a potential future star, is actually the immature stance. But if you care to call me child-like for asking for a little accountability once in a while, so be it. :laughing

That wasn't really aimed at you, though I cans ee why you thought it was, just a general observation.

You aren't the first to throw a hissy fit about people's reactions at a much later date.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

So many terrible takes in this thread. Truly a prime example of why you should never judge a book by its cover.

And yet the book has barely started and still too early to really know how this shakes out in the end. Luis Urias is having a stellar year, but lets see if he can truly keep his power long term. Without it his value tanks quickly at 3B. Eric Lauer is having a pretty awesome year, but it feels a lot like 2017 Chase Anderson. Chase Anderson was a solid starter (though many hated him), but he obviously never repeated his sub. 3 ERA year. Not to say they won't continue to be impressive in the future, but one or both could easily fall well off what they did this year.

Though it is probably safe to say it is looking pretty good long term and safe to say it certainly was not a loss.

This is 100% correct, and a really healthy way to look at it I think. This was a deal of two young guys for basically two young guys (Davies wasn't super young, but ehh). It was always a deal that wouldn't be able to be really judged until quite a ways down the road. And you are correct that it is certainly possible that both Urias and Lauer are having career years, and will never be able to replicate what they are doing in subsequent seasons. It's also possible that Grisham is simply having a down year, and what he showed in 2020 is much closer to what he is than what he's done this year.

I guess it was the "Stearns got fleeced" and the "Brewers really got hosed and gave away a star in Grisham" type takes that were irking. Admittedly the first chapter was certainly not promising. But the next few have really picked up steam. I'm personally pretty dang interested to see where this story goes from here.

That wasn't really aimed at you, though I cans ee why you thought it was, just a general observation.

You aren't the first to throw a hissy fit about people's reactions at a much later date.

Hissy fit? For throwing a cliche out there about not judging a book by its cover? That's probably not even in the Top 100 of my snarkiest stuff here LOL

Eh. I'll admit Lauer has played far beyond my expectations. I still think Grisham was the best player involved in the trade. We'll see in the end how it works out. It's definitely not a bad trade so far.

The "be a fan the right way" thing this message board has going at times .. I'll agree with turborickey there. It's pretty cringe. And yes, I know some think that criticizing management is cringe as well but that's kind of what every fan base does and the Brewers are pretty forgiving compared to most.

• 6 months later...