Brewer Fanatic

Davies and Grisham to San Diego, Urias and Lauer to the Brewers

JDBrewCrew

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counting on yelich to start 160 games is being super super optimistic I think. I'd be happy with 140, and 115 games from Cain.

I think we could see Corey Ray get some time in the mix.

On the one hand, he does seem to be very good on defense, he's fast, and he's got some pop. But his walk rate is down and the strikeouts are still high. The stolen base totals are also down.

He's a left-handed Keon Broxton. Not bad for a team like the 2015-2016 iteration of the Brewers, and valuable for the defense, pop, and speed. But the lower SB totals, the strikeouts, and the drop in the walk rate are red flags.

Hindsight is 20/20, but perhaps after 2018, or even 2019, the Brewers should have dealt him, not Grisham.

Figure Cain gets 130 starts in center, Taylor gets 100 in right, and JBJ gets 90 starts - 60 in right, 30 in center. Yelich gets 160 in left.

This made me laugh.

Cain will more than likely top out at 100 starts. If we can get 130-140 for Yelich, that would be far more realistic.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I expected Lauer to be an ok 5th starter. Lots of complaining when he pitches but I expected an ERA between 4 and 4.5. Serviceable innings eater stuff.

I'm absolutely shocked he's having the success he's having right now. Whatever they've been feeding the pitchers in Milwaukee they need to keep it up.

I expected Lauer to be an ok 5th starter. Lots of complaining when he pitches but I expected an ERA between 4 and 4.5. Serviceable innings eater stuff.

I'm absolutely shocked he's having the success he's having right now. Whatever they've been feeding the pitchers in Milwaukee they need to keep it up.

I think it’s time we gave the pitching lab and coaching staff credit for what they are doing with this staff.

Credit to Stearns and company for including Lauer in the deal……but as you said he is pitching better then he ever has and better then any of us had a right to expect …..and he isn’t the only guy who fits that description.

Certainly they will have misses……but they are getting huge value up and down the pitching spectrum from guys making not much money and with little to no track record.

It’s impressive to say the least.

The link was amusing in dropping Urias to just a utility man. Under the Brewers philosophy it seems like the goal is to have at least middle infielder type who is effectively a starter in terms of ABs and playing time. Urias as a capable or better defender across the board (even if the wild throws are maddening) and very respectable bat is a great profile for that role.

Counting on yelich to start 160 games is being super super optimistic I think. I'd be happy with 140, and 115 games from Cain.

What has he done to show he deserved to occupy a 40-man roster spot? He's about to get passed up by about 6 other OF prospects, having already been passed by Tyrone Taylor.

What has he done to show he deserved to occupy a 40-man roster spot? He's about to get passed up by about 6 other OF prospects, having already been passed by Tyrone Taylor.

I think you are giving him credit for ever being ahead of Tyrone Taylor.

On the one hand, he does seem to be very good on defense, he's fast, and he's got some pop. But his walk rate is down and the strikeouts are still high. The stolen base totals are also down.

He's a left-handed Keon Broxton. Not bad for a team like the 2015-2016 iteration of the Brewers, and valuable for the defense, pop, and speed. But the lower SB totals, the strikeouts, and the drop in the walk rate are red flags.

Hindsight is 20/20, but perhaps after 2018, or even 2019, the Brewers should have dealt him, not Grisham.

David Dahl is probably ahead of Ray right now. Heck, at this pace, the right-handed Keon Broxton might be ahead of Ray in the pecking order. Ray likely isn't going to survive the offseason and maintain his 40-man roster spot.

You guys are way more pessimistic of Ray than I am. He posted the highest OPS of his career this year (.825). His K rate has dropped to 29% for the year (20% in August) so he is making progress. These are small samples and its not like he is lighting the world on fire. He also cannot stay on the field - not having played in almost a month. So he is hardly one of my top prospects, but I am not totally writing him off. He should at least still be in the outfield prospect discussion.

There is no 40 man roster crunch so I so no reason to drop him from the 40. He is close though and this latest injury did not help his cause.

Grisham and Ty Taylor are excellent examples of not writing off top prospects too soon. Sometimes it takes a while for a prospect to figure it out.

David Dahl is probably ahead of Ray right now. Heck, at this pace, the right-handed Keon Broxton might be ahead of Ray in the pecking order. Ray likely isn't going to survive the offseason and maintain his 40-man roster spot.

There's 4.1 million reasons Ray will survive the winter. As long as he has minor league options there's no reason for the Brewers to do anything but wait. Moreover, their outfield depth will be thin with the likely departure of Avi Garcia at the conclusion of this season. David Dahl already had a 2.7 million contract this year and therefore will most likely be non-tendered. Cain and JBJ's contracts expire following the 2022 season, and there's nobody else currently in AAA knocking on the door for a major league outfield job.

Plus, the 40 man roster is going to have at least 9 vacancies, so there's no rush to open a spot there either: Daniel Norris, Strickland, Boxberger, Escobar, Brett Anderson, Manny Pina, Luke Maile, Hoby Milner, Yardley,

Freezing Cold Takes

Grisham: 2.0 WAR

Urias: 2.3 WAR

Lauer: 2.0 WAR

That article is an abomination. Yeah, I'm sure the story has been told after an unprecedented 60 game season and 45 games of the next one.

Completely asinine and I hope that "writer" feels as stupid as he should.

I wonder what handle David Gaspar uses on this forum? I saw plenty of posts earlier this season that hit on a bunch of his "points". Clickbaity waste of time to read, though.

Freezing Cold Takes

Grisham: 2.0 WAR

Urias: 2.3 WAR

Lauer: 2.0 WAR

That article is an abomination. Yeah, I'm sure the story has been told after an unprecedented 60 game season and 45 games of the next one.

Completely asinine and I hope that "writer" feels as stupid as he should.

I wonder what handle David Gaspar uses on this forum? I saw plenty of posts earlier this season that hit on a bunch of his "points". Clickbaity waste of time to read, though.

That exact thought passed through my head lol.

There's 4.1 million reasons Ray will survive the winter. As long as he has minor league options there's no reason for the Brewers to do anything but wait. Moreover, their outfield depth will be thin with the likely departure of Avi Garcia at the conclusion of this season. David Dahl already had a 2.7 million contract this year and therefore will most likely be non-tendered. Cain and JBJ's contracts expire following the 2022 season, and there's nobody else currently in AAA knocking on the door for a major league outfield job.

Plus, the 40 man roster is going to have at least 9 vacancies, so there's no rush to open a spot there either: Daniel Norris, Strickland, Boxberger, Escobar, Brett Anderson, Manny Pina, Luke Maile, Hoby Milner, Yardley,

Yes, had he not went down again( I am curious as to why as well) it sort of looked like he was destined to get some September playing time. I think they will want to let him fail at the ML level before giving up on him, still too many tools to let him figure it out somewhere else, but obviously he has to stay on the field to get that shot.

Frelick and Mitchell?

I saw frelick play twice with th T-Rats and he looked completely overmatched. Good OF, but struggled to get to 91-92 mph fastballs and anything that broke. I would want to see a lot more of him to put him anywhere close to Mitchell's value.

Frelick is 21, Mitchell is 23. That's a lot of development time.

I talked to a couple of scouts at a recent minor league game, and they both really like Frelick and were surprised he fell to the Brewers. If things went a little differently at the draft, they have first-hand knowledge that he would have went at least 5-6 spots before the Brewers' pick.

Hopefully, Frelick will be about ready for the majors by the time he's around Mitchell's current age, and hopefully Mitchell is already making a mark at the MLB level by then. Give him a little time to get adjusted and I think the Brewers and their fans will be happy to have him.

But that's not to knock Mitchell. He could be a special talent, and I hope to see some All Star seasons out of him. We'll just have $29,000,000 in salary blocking his path to CF in the majors next year so we might have to wait a little longer to see him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The link was amusing in dropping Urias to just a utility man. Under the Brewers philosophy it seems like the goal is to have at least middle infielder type who is effectively a starter in terms of ABs and playing time. Urias as a capable or better defender across the board (even if the wild throws are maddening) and very respectable bat is a great profile for that role.

I mean, this was more or less what Stearns referred to him as when they traded for Adames.

"Utility Man" also has a different meaning in this organization than it does in others (or has in the past).

Absolutely. This year, only two Brewer hitters (Urias and Garcia) have the required 3.1 PAs per game needed to qualify for anything. I can't even sort the Brewers by OPS on their own site to get a basic overview of how everyone is doing because almost no one has enough PAs.

It seems that Stearns could fill a roster with eight outfielders and five catchers and Counsell would find a way to get them all playing time while winning games.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh