Brewer Fanatic

Davies and Grisham to San Diego, Urias and Lauer to the Brewers

JDBrewCrew

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We traded for another Arcia. Would have kept Grisham

Urias actually hit in the minors. Arcia for the most part did not.

This really gets glossed over when it comes to Arcia. He had a solid season in A+ ball, had the good season in AA, and then followed that up being terrible at AAA (considering where he played). Arcia produced in the winter league a few times, but those end up being real small samples. Arcia got overhyped majorly. It is somewhat comical he was ever a Top 10 prospect in baseball when he never posted an OPS over .800...given he didn't stay in the minors that long, but he never put up eye popping stats.

Urias may be the next Arcia, but I think he is a little more promising than that. Still, if you look at Urias most of his production seems to be in hitter friendly AAA. I guess we shall see what comes of his offense because he won't provide nearly as much on defense. Sometimes it can be real hard to predict the success of a player by minor league production when they move incredibly fast through the system. You can hype a guy up cause he is so much younger than the league average (Arcia), but sometimes that doesn't translate to MLB success.

David Laurila's Sunday Notes column leads off with Lauer this week...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-new-brewer-eric-lauer-is-a-cutter-y-craftsman-in-search-of-depth/

My guess is the Brewers have something in mind with his pitch mix they think can help unlock better results.

Good link. It’s a very good point that he pitched essentially one year in the minors. He has an opportunity to improve and put it together while in the majors. It would not be unheard of if he transforms into a good number 3 or higher pitcher. I’m not predicting it, but with his pitch mix, he’s still young enough to take a step or two forward.

Uhh LOL no. This is not true. At all.

Can't say definitively either way. Urias has better on base skills but he has to prove it in the majors and there are still questions regarding if he can stick at SS long term.

Uhh LOL no. This is not true. At all.

Can't say definitively either way. Urias has better on base skills but he has to prove it in the majors and there are still questions regarding if he can stick at SS long term.

Hence the "not true" comment. Arcia's defense is major league-caliber without a doubt, but his bat is lacking. By all accounts Urias is a bat-first middle infielder with questions regarding his defense at SS. Saying that the Brewers traded for another Arcia couldn't further from the truth.

I think Urias’ floor is of what Arcia has been for his career at the majors. If he hits .240/.340/.700, he will be a pretty big upgrade over Arcia. He doesn’t have much of a bar he needs to clear unfortunately.

Interested to see the outcomes of Shaw, Nelson, Guerra (officially), and Arcia today. Wouldn’t surprise me to see the Brewers mentioned in a trade of one of these guys today.

• 2 weeks later...
Listened to an MLB Radio interview with A’s GM David Forst tonight and he discussed their recent trade with the Padres (which included sending them Jurickson Profar and receiving Austin Allen). The deal included a Padres PTBNL coming back to Oakland as well, and Forst said they would know for certain which player they were receiving within the next week. It reminded me that the Brewers also have a pending PTBNL with the Padres, and hopefully it’s a similar timeline for selecting the player. Assume the upcoming Rule 5 draft may have something to do with the timing of the PTBNL selections.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Listened to an MLB Radio interview with A’s GM David Forst tonight and he discussed their recent trade with the Padres (which included sending them Jurickson Profar and receiving Austin Allen). The deal included a Padres PTBNL coming back to Oakland as well, and Forst said they would know for certain which player they were receiving within the next week. It reminded me that the Brewers also have a pending PTBNL with the Padres, and hopefully it’s a similar timeline for selecting the player. Assume the upcoming Rule 5 draft may have something to do with the timing of the PTBNL selections.

The A’s player to be named later was outfielder Buddy Reed who went unselected in today’s Rule 5 Draft.

The Padres lost one other player in the major league portion of the Rule 5 Draft today, reliever Trevor Megill was selected by the Cubs. Assuming that wasn’t the Brewers PTBNL target we may (hopefully) hear something soon.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I spent a bunch of fruitless time looking for a list of SanDiego's rule 5 eligible players. (operating under the assumption that one will be the PTBNL) Does anyone have a link to that info?

These are the best I found.

https://madfriars.com/2019/09/30/padres-40-man-roster-crunch-rule-5-preview/

I'm dreaming on Esteury Ruiz a little.

Bump..., This trade is gonna be the one we all remember for the next 5 years. We are all sleeping on Urias. Top of the line plate discipline, basically a 400 obp guy at every level of the minors at super young ages. We all wonder whether Narvaez or García will replace Moose and Grandal, but we gloss of Urias. He and Hiura will make a combined 6 or 7 all star games over the next 6 years.

I have been following Jim Goulart on Twitter who gives updates on guys playing in winter ball and Urias has been doing really well.

"3-for-4 Sunday for #Brewers Luis Urias in Mexico. Hitting .409 in last 11 games. .290/.377/.450 (.827 OPS in 24 games overall). Despite a stolen base Sunday, just 5-for-12 in that dept. Was 7-for-9 at AAA in 2019, so testing himself this winter. Just 43-for-84 (52%) in pro career"

I know it is just the Mexican league but I am really excited to see what this kid brings next year

Urias is a legit prospect. He can really hit. He can already hit MLB LHP. Learning to hit MLB RHP is going to be a work in progress. It is doubtful that he’s ever going to be a guy who can steal bases... that’s OK. He brings plenty else to the table
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Urias is a legit prospect. He can really hit. He can already hit MLB LHP. Learning to hit MLB RHP is going to be a work in progress. It is doubtful that he’s ever going to be a guy who can steal bases... that’s OK. He brings plenty else to the table

Yeah, just get on base. I'm sure Yelich and Hiura will move you.

I have been following Jim Goulart on Twitter who gives updates on guys playing in winter ball and Urias has been doing really well.

If you've been following him long, you'd know that you don't need to explain his history, credentials, etc on Brewerfan.net (or even going back to the old brewerfan.com days)

;)