Brewer Fanatic

Avisail Garcia

The longer this goes, the more convinced I am that this isn't going to happen.

I’m starting to think this as well. Maybe he just doesn’t want to play for Milwaukee and is using us as leverage.

I remember when we were linked to Cain though and it took about 5 days for us to sign him. This could be a similar situation. This might be one of those rare times where something the Brewers are doing actually does get leaked.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m starting to think this as well. Maybe he just doesn’t want to play for Milwaukee and is using us as leverage.

I remember when we were linked to Cain though and it took about 5 days for us to sign him. This could be a similar situation. This might be one of those rare times where something the Brewers are doing actually does get leaked.

I'm good with it either way. Garcia is a nice player but unless your scouting department feels that his 2017 is somehow repeatable, there's really no reason to prioritize him and stray from your initial intended price range. There are numerous options either as good or better than Garcia still available. I'm confident they're not going to be heading into 2020 with the OF depth chart they have currently.

Wonder if they are floating this interest in García to get Kole Calhoun to take or leave their offer?

Or at least circle back to him if he was their preference as a lefty?

Someone sleeping with teammates wives is not a character issue I easily overlook, personally.

Don’t want any part of this clown.

Yeah, that concerns me as well. I realize this happened awhile ago now - and hopefully Garcia has grown up and matured a lot since then, but that's just not something you can easily overlook.

I doubt it, guys like that tend to be habitual offenders. Having said that I don't think it would sway me enough to protest him being on the team. We've had guys on the team that have done far worse in my opinion. I'd suspect this kind of thing goes on more than we know. I mean, I'm not running out to buy his Jersey or anything but I wouldn't root against the guy.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Someone sleeping with teammates wives is not a character issue I easily overlook, personally.

Don’t want any part of this clown.

Yeah, that concerns me as well. I realize this happened awhile ago now - and hopefully Garcia has grown up and matured a lot since then, but that's just not something you can easily overlook.

I doubt it, guys like that tend to be habitual offenders. Having said that I don't think it would sway me enough to protest him being on the team. We've had guys on the team that have done far worse in my opinion. I'd suspect this kind of thing goes on more than we know. I mean, I'm not running out to buy his Jersey or anything but I wouldn't root against the guy.

I do sort of wonder how the dynamic would be, considering Braun and Fielder are still close. Heck, our manager spent a few years in the same infield as Prince as well, and Prince seems to have a solid relationship with the team.

That said, if they are as close to signing him as things seem to be, I'm sure the issues have been thoroughly vetted.

I doubt it, guys like that tend to be habitual offenders.

Let's be fair now. We don't know the full story here. For all that we know, perhaps they spent some time together, she initiated things and he was young, in love and stupid.

Of course, even if that's the case, it doesn't excuse what he did - but we don't know that he's a "guy like that".

If we hear that it's happened again, then I'm with you...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I do sort of wonder how the dynamic would be, considering Braun and Fielder are still close. Heck, our manager spent a few years in the same infield as Prince as well, and Prince seems to have a solid relationship with the team.

That said, if they are as close to signing him as things seem to be, I'm sure the issues have been thoroughly vetted.

I mean if you want to go full conspiracy theory, maybe Prince is telling them "If you sign him, take my name off the Wall of Honor". That's a PR issue and I can see how that would need to get worked out in some way before you sign the guy.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

we are being told by beat writers that its close. the brewers or his agent hasn't said anything. I don't think we clearly know where they are in negotiations. i woudn't read much into the fact that this was reported 3 days ago and nothing has been official. I think the only thing that is clear is that the brewers are interested.

we are being told by beat writers that its close. the brewers or his agent hasn't said anything. I don't think we clearly know where they are in negotiations. i woudn't read much into the fact that this was reported 3 days ago and nothing has been official. I think the only thing that is clear is that the brewers are interested.

Haudricourt was the one I believe that said that negotiations were intensifying today, based on his track record of never knowing anything, he has no clue and was going off of info from Friday.

Haudricourt was the one I believe that said that negotiations were intensifying today, based on his track record of never knowing anything, he has no clue and was going off of info from Friday.

Now if @BrewerWorld came out and said it, that's different

This is correct.

My guess is that this leaked from Garcia or his friends/family to that local reporter in Miami, as opposed to the normal free agent signing leak to a national reporter from agents or teams, and so it just became a story a little earlier than normal. It presumably takes a while to do the paperwork even after a deal is agreed to.

I highly doubt he is leaving us hanging while checking for better offers, etc.

Archived