Brewer Fanatic

Avisail Garcia

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After looking completely overmatched at AAA last year, I don't think Brown alone gets anyone's attention. Brown could be part of the package, but a minor part. I also would want the M's to kick in around $20m to cover some of the $53M he would be owed through 2022.

So if they do end up signing Garcia, who would everyone target for the openings at 1st and 3rd??

The trade market for corner infielders could include (among others)...

Josh Bell

Carlos Santana

Trey Mancini

Justin Turner

Kyle Seager

Yuli Gurriel

Miguel Sano

Hunter Dozier

Giovanny Urshela

J.D. Davis

Dom Smith

Kris Bryant (yes, I know he isn’t going to the Brewers)

I would love Gurriel and Mancini. It almost does seem like they will have to go the trade route doesn't it?? Just nothing left in FA that really "pops" off the page.

I would think Gurriel is almost non-obtainable from the Astros. Same way with Urshela and the Yankees. The Brewers don't have the propects to get Mancini or Bell.

I would think Gurriel is almost non-obtainable from the Astros. Same way with Urshela and the Yankees. The Brewers don't have the propects to get Mancini or Bell.

In hindsight Urshela probably doesn’t belong on the list. Miguel Andujar, and possibly Luke Voit, probably have a better chance of being dealt than Urshela.

If the Brewers were willing to deal from the top of their farm system (probably 2-3 of Turang, Lutz, Small, Feliciano, Garcia, Ray) I do think they could put together an enticing enough package to get Mancini or Bell. Bell is now arbitration eligible and his defense eats up some of his offensive value, I won’t be shocked by any means if the Pirates move him this off-season for a good, but not great return.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Who are you giving up to get Seager? He didn’t exactly suck last year and to throw in ten million in cash the Mariners would be looking to get real talent in return.

Anyone not named Turang, Lutz or Small. I bet Zack Brown would get Dipoto’s attention.

Apparently not, Dipoto could have had Zack Brown for nothing in the Rule 5 draft and passed as did all the other teams meaning his potential upside isn’t even worth carrying him on a 26 man roster

Re Zach Brown. If he was taken in the Rule 5, he has to be on that team's 26man playing in the majors. A trade now past the Rule 5 he wouldn't have that requirement. Not even on the team's 40man as currently with Milw.

I think signing Garcia would have to indicate Stearns has a Ray or Lutz trade proposal out there. Garcia would block them in the OF. He wouldnt exactly move the needle. But that includes keeping the needle where we've been at the past seasons and not lowering it.

Funny how a lot of Brewer fans like to rationalize any bottom of the barrel player the Brewers decide sign as completely justified and borderline brilliant.

+100000000 this thread can be closed down now, along with any other thread. You know why so many feel that way?? Because they get those players on a "good deal". That's all that matters to them. Even if the #'s for that player(after they acquire them) are crap...it's "well at least it didn't cost them much". It's all about the $$ and the value to most. Production be damned!

So much embellishing going on here. Read through the Anderson thread again. Does anyone really feel it's brilliant? Most of the reactions are shrugs, basically a decent depth move, basically everyone is in agreement that more moves are necessary. No one thinks Anderson is going to become our ace.

"All that matters" is that we feel we got a "good deal" is just such a ridiculous line I don't even know where to begin. You think this board wouldn't be clamoring with excitement if we signed Donaldson and Ryu today? You think the the consensus would be disappointed if we didn't get a good deal?

It's like it makes you mad for people to find the good in under-the-radar signings.

I think signing Garcia would have to indicate Stearns has a Ray or Lutz trade proposal out there. Garcia would block them in the OF.

Not necessarily.

Depends on the years involved with Garcia.

Ray, maybe so, but Lutz is still a ways away, so signing Garcia should have no impact on Lutz's future with the Brewers.

I really want to hang onto Lutz, but Ray can go anytime as far as I'm concerned.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

You're right, and yes...how do you use the quote feature?? It bothers me to no end that you can't quote more than 3 in one post. How do you get around that?? believe me, I'd love to know.

Highlight and delete any and all irrelevant text before hitting the "Submit" button.

Chances are that much of what you are quoting is not relevant or already has been addressed.

If a contract with Avisail Garcia happens, I'm fine with it.

Avisail Garcia was the main piece the White Sox received when trading away Jake Peavy in 2013. He was initially rushed to the major leagues from AA, and has only a little over a month's worth of game in AAA.

Garcia is a better offensive player now then Ben Gamel, he's got more experience in RF and CF than Gamel, and has also played some left field in the major leagues. Most importantly at 28 years old he may still have some upside to his game. With the Brewers regularly resting Cain and Braun they're better of with Garcia getting those those 350-400 at bats this year that went to Gamel last year.

The real question is how much more are they going to end up paying Garcia and for how long.

Boy, can this deal just get done already! Have we ever had to wait this long from when a deal was rumored as being "almost done" to when we actually got confirmation that it was completed?

I almost wonder if the deal is tentative on other players making a decision? Like if the Brewers have an offer out to a player like Castellanos, and are awaiting his response to it before moving on to Garcia? That would make some sense, as both players are predominantly right handed-hitting corner OFers so if Castellanos accepted the Brewers offer, Garcia would be somewhat redundant.

Perhaps this theory is just grasping at straws, and the more likely reason is something having to do with complex contract language or incentives/options on a short-term deal.

Anyone see Bernie Pleskoff's tweets just now. He's clearly not a fan of Garcia - mentioning that his knees/hamstrings aren't good, and also alluding to some of the clubhouse issues with him in the past. Really is questioning if this is the right move for the Brewers. Boy, I hope DS is doing all of his home work with this signing.

He does follow up that tweet with this...

Bernie Pleskoff

@BerniePleskoff

3m

I would guess his solid offense in 2019 makes him expensive. Stearns is a top flight front office guy. He's probably doing it right and checking it all out financially and regarding his health history.

The past (alleged) clubhouse issues might scare me the most with this guy. I guess he did play with the Rays last year, and must not have caused many issues as that team went to the ALDS. But, you would hate to see a cancer come into this clubhouse and send this team down the wrong path. I supposed that could come from just about any signing though.

Usually games played is the first thing I check. Wasn't aware that Garcia has only averaged 119 games played over the last four years, the high mark being 136 games in 2017. Last two years the average has been 109 games.

And there are still some really ugly seasonal OBP's on that stat sheet... .281 in 2018, .307 in 2016.

Steamer is projecting him as a .273/.327/.464/.791 hitter in 2020...look at last year and then the 2020 projection and it sure seems like this guy would be a bargain, and then you look at all the other stuff and it seems there is good reason why this guy will probably be playing on a 1 year, 7 million OR 2 year, 13 million dollar contract.

Is there no market for Domingo Santana at all? I understand he's a butcher but he's a pretty good right handed bat and you'd be pretty set defensively with Yelich in LF where his defense is far better and Cain in CF. Plus you'd free up Braun for 1B most of the time.

Wouldn't think he'd be very expensive, just can't believe there's seemingly no market for him at all. Seemed to be a fine clubhouse fit and someone everyone is familiar with.

I am not saying I'd prefer Santana over Garcia but if you don't like where the bidding war is going with Garcia and can pivot to Santana on a 1 year/5M deal or so I'd be totally fine with that.

Someone sleeping with teammates wives is not a character issue I easily overlook, personally.

The Tigers immediately traded him at the time, probably just to keep civility in the clubhouse.

Don’t want any part of this clown.

Someone sleeping with teammates wives is not a character issue I easily overlook, personally.

Don’t want any part of this clown.

Yeah, that concerns me as well. I realize this happened awhile ago now - and hopefully Garcia has grown up and matured a lot since then, but that's just not something you can easily overlook.

Archived