Brewer Fanatic

Avisail Garcia

I mean I don't care if they sign him or not. Don't see how much he'd really add to the offensive. Not a needle mover like I think Donaldson or Castellanos would be anyway.

I like Castellanos better, but the two of these guys are not that much different in the overall scheme. If Castellanos time with the Cubs is who he really is, then he's better. But Garcia is a good player.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611222f4732b4f84504c2a758919caa8eb5bd9bd846&rid=giphy.gif

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean I don't care if they sign him or not. Don't see how much he'd really add to the offensive. Not a needle mover like I think Donaldson or Castellanos would be anyway.

You were angry they didn’t resign Moose, but Garcia projects to have similar numbers as him. One can’t be a huge loss while the other is a ‘not a needle mover’ addition.....

Two words

Name

Recognition

I like Castellanos better, but the two of these guys are not that much different in the overall scheme. If Castellanos time with the Cubs is who he really is, then he's better. But Garcia is a good player.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611222f4732b4f84504c2a758919caa8eb5bd9bd846&rid=giphy.gif

Just wouldn't make sense to get both. Both are predominantly right-handed hitting OFers. Signing Garcia means you are have Braun as the RH side of the 1B platoon, so no Castellanos there. I guess you could sign him to play 3B, but he's pretty terrible defensively there.

You were angry they didn’t resign Moose, but Garcia projects to have similar numbers as him. One can’t be a huge loss while the other is a ‘not a needle mover’ addition.....

Two words

Name

Recognition

LOL Avasail Garcia is a "name" just not an all star...Moose was, in case you forgot :) When Avasail hits as many HR's in a year as Moose does, let me know

Two words

Name

Recognition

LOL Avasail Garcia is a "name" just not an all star...Moose was, in case you forgot :) When Avasail hits as many HR's in a year as Moose does, let me know

Garcia was an All-Star too, at age 26.

And Moose hit his HR’s in a hitters park, Garcia has yet to play for a team in a hitters park. And HRs alone don’t measure the full worth of a player, of course.

Thing is, HRs and All-Star appearances are probably not a real solid way to determine player value. I loved Moose. He was a great player for this team. If they sign Garcia, he has the skills to be a great player for this team as well. Also 3 years younger than Moose.

Funny how a lot of Brewer fans like to rationalize any bottom of the barrel player the Brewers decide sign as completely justified and borderline brilliant.

It's either that or the opposite view: Every move Stearns makes is stupid.

Not much middle ground here, and certain posters provide the extreme for both sides...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Funny how a lot of Brewer fans like to rationalize any bottom of the barrel player the Brewers decide sign as completely justified and borderline brilliant.

Again, he projects about as good offensively as Moose. Was he a bottom of the barrel player in your mind too?

If you we nicknamed his Mooooooooooose he would probably love him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's either that or the opposite view: Every move Stearns makes is stupid.

Not much middle ground here, and certain posters provide the extreme for both sides...

The good news is that Stearns’ track record of success suggests which side of that is probably right! ;)

+100000000 this thread can be closed down now, along with any other thread. You know why so many feel that way?? Because they get those players on a "good deal". That's all that matters to them. Even if the #'s for that player(after they acquire them) are crap...it's "well at least it didn't cost them much". It's all about the $$ and the value to most. Production be damned!

This is where I am at. It’s fine to trust Stearns as he has earned it but let’s stop acting like Brett Anderson and Garcia are great players because they are not. We are clearly dumpster diving and Stearns has shown he can make it work but guys like this are nothing to get excited about.

Again, he projects about as good offensively as Moose. Was he a bottom of the barrel player in your mind too?

Projections projections projections! I think this is what irritates me so much about every cheap signing the Brewers make. People will say well he projects to be the same as so and so. Except to this point in their careers they haven't produced like player so and so has. Projections aren't worth the paper they are printed on. You know what matters?? PRODUCTION. Until you prove you are as good as so and so, projections mean crap.

Projections projections projections! I think this is what irritates me so much about every cheap signing the Brewers make. People will say well he projects to be the same as so and so. Except to this point in their careers they haven't produced like player so and so has. Projections aren't worth the paper they are printed on. You know what matters?? PRODUCTION. Until you prove you are as good as so and so, projections mean crap.

Have you actually looked at Garcia’s numbers? Your posts continue to suggest that you haven’t. Garcia’s 2017 season was better than ANY season Moose has put up in his entire career.

But you’ve heard of one player and not the other?

Difference being that Moose plays third base where offense is harder to find vs Garcia who plays a corner outfield spot where his numbers are a dime a dozen. Meanwhile we have no answers whatsoever at third base with a load of garbage options in free agency besides Donaldson who we rightfully aren’t paying 25 million per season for 4 years.

This is where I am at. It’s fine to trust Stearns as he has earned it but let’s stop acting like Brett Anderson and Garcia are great players because they are not. We are clearly dumpster diving and Stearns has shown he can make it work but guys like this are nothing to get excited about.

Why not? I mean, if this is how they operate - dumpster diving, if you will - why not get excited for the guys they are acquiring? I mean, it would be great if they spent more. But it is what it is. Gotta play the hand you're dealt, right?

When one of these guys crashes and burns(and they will) then I wonder what tune they will sing?? It will be "well, he didn't cost them much, so no harm done". except the harm was done, because they didn't produce. The lost production is what matters. That's the problem with signing guys like this...you are HOPING you get one good year out of them. Everyone liked the Chacin signing after his great 2018..but no one liked it when he became Jhoulys Chacin this last year. The Brewers try to catch lightning in a bottle when they sign guys. I don't think there is any dispute about that.

Every thread lately has devolved into this argument. Sometimes you sign guys not to be superstars, but to simply fill holes. Garcia is a decent payer who can fill a hole.

Avisail Garcia career: .273/.323/.428/.751, .322 wOBA, 103 wRC+ (park adjusted)

Mike Moustakas career: .252/.310/.441/.751, .321 wOBA, 99 wRC+ (park adjusted)

Avisail Garcia 2017-2019: .288/.337/.473/.810, .342 wOBA, 117 wRC+

Mike Moustakas 2017-2019: .259/.319/.498/.817, .340 wOBA, 110 wRC+

Garcia will turn 29 next season, Moustakas will turn 32

Avisail Garcia career: .273/.323/.428/.751, .322 wOBA, 103 wRC+ (park adjusted)

Mike Moustakas career: .252/.310/.441/.751, .321 wOBA, 99 wRC+ (park adjusted)

Avisail Garcia 2017-2019: .288/.337/.473/.810, .342 wOBA, 117 wRC+

Mike Moustakas 2017-2019: .259/.319/.498/.817, .340 wOBA, 110 wRC+

Garcia will turn 28 next season, Moustakas will turn 32

You and your facts! :)

Thanks for posting.

Stearns has some of the better players in the game on his roster. He also fills in holes on a budget and is damn good at doing it. Yet, here we are in every thread.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Have you actually looked at Garcia’s numbers? Your posts continue to suggest that you haven’t. Garcia’s 2017 season was bette than ANY season Moose has put up in his entire career.

I sure have looked at his numbers...have you?? ONE season...two years ago...and he hasn't put up a season like that since.. had he had two years like that since, guess what? I'd love him. But....yeah cite some excuse about not a hitters park or whatever that he hasn't matched those numbers And don't insult me...I know damn well who Avasail Garcia is...does he play 3B?? Maybe you think he does?? Do you know who he is?? I'm pretty sure you have consistently fawned all over every move DS has made. The guy never makes a mistake does he??

Archived