Brewer Fanatic

Avisail Garcia

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't this the guy that was cheating on Prince Fielder's Wife in Detroit? Great Teammate!

https://www.inquisitr.com/1231597/why-did-the-detroit-tigers-really-trade-prince-fielder/

Despicable.

Isn't this the guy that was cheating on Prince Fielder's Wife in Detroit? Great Teammate!

https://www.inquisitr.com/1231597/why-did-the-detroit-tigers-really-trade-prince-fielder/

Despicable.

I'd be willing to bet we don't know more than 2% of the details to that.

Also ... who cares? How this affects the team on the field is a complete and total non-factor.

Despicable.

Also ... who cares? How this affects the team on the field is a complete and total non-factor.

Unless Prince Fielder makes a comeback and signs with the Brewers.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Is this guy RF only, or could he play some CF or 1b? I feel like I've read he's bad on defense but he's also very fast so maybe he could cover enough ground to play a decent CF?

He's at worst an average defender. He probably has the speed to play a passable CF but would only play there in a pinch.

Is this guy RF only, or could he play some CF or 1b? I feel like I've read he's bad on defense but he's also very fast so maybe he could cover enough ground to play a decent CF?

By looking at the numbers he seems a plus defender in LF and just average or below in RF. As for CF looks bad. Seems range is the factor here. Above at LF. Right at in RF and quite below for CF. Isnt Gamel the backup for CF?

Despicable.

Unless Prince Fielder makes a comeback and signs with the Brewers.

It is easy to get past things like this as long as you win the pennant. Just ask Roger Dorn and Ricky Vaughan.

The Brewers are deep into negotiations with free agent outfielder Avisail Garcia.

The two sides were reportedly close to a deal on Friday evening but they have not yet been able to reach agreement on a contract. The Rays and Marlins are also interested in the 28-year-old. Garcia slashed .282/.332/.464 with a career-high 20 homers, 72 RBI and 10 stolen bases in 125 games for the Rays in 2019. He played mostly right field for the Rays this year but would likely move to left field if he joins the Brewers, with Ryan Braun moving to first base.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

Dec 14, 2019, 10:59 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Brewers are deep into negotiations with free agent outfielder Avisail Garcia.

The two sides were reportedly close to a deal on Friday evening but they have not yet been able to reach agreement on a contract. The Rays and Marlins are also interested in the 28-year-old. Garcia slashed .282/.332/.464 with a career-high 20 homers, 72 RBI and 10 stolen bases in 125 games for the Rays in 2019. He played mostly right field for the Rays this year but would likely move to left field if he joins the Brewers, with Ryan Braun moving to first base.

I’m pretty sure Yelich would move to LF, not García

I don't mind Garcia but don't let that 2017 fool you, there was no skill supporting that batting line. That .330 AVG was propped up completely by a .392 BABIP which is one of the highest in MLB history. His upside is 2019's stat line, not 2017's. I've had Arcia in fantasy a few times, he is much more athletic than some are giving him credit for here. He does in fact have decent speed, he just doesn't look the part. I wouldn't call it a strength but it certainly isn't a weakness. He does get a bit lazy at times though. That might be because he was on some bad teams.

Some players have a skill set that just supports a high BABIP. Over 3027 PA in his career, Garcia has a .332 BABIP, possibly because he is weirdly fast for his physique.

Having had him in fantasy too, one thing about Garcia is that he can go on crazy hot streaks.

Wonder if the Brewers are trying to tack on a year or two of club options and Garcia wants 0 or 1 instead? That would be my guess. If they are that close to getting it done and something is holding it back from being completed, it’s probably coming down to something like that on the backend of the deal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Despicable.

Technically it was Prince's wife that was cheating on Prince.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Seeing some Twitter commenters saying that Garcia and Domingo Santana are basically the same player. I wanted to argue, but looking at their career batting numbers, there seems to be some credence to the idea. Please, someone who understands analytics better than I do explain to me how signing Garcia makes more sense than Domingo Santana, part deux.

Seeing some Twitter commenters saying that Garcia and Domingo Santana are basically the same player. I wanted to argue, but looking at their career batting numbers, there seems to be some credence to the idea. Please, someone who understands analytics better than I do explain to me how signing Garcia makes more sense than Domingo Santana, part deux.

1 word-defense

1 word-defense

I understand that, but the Twitter trolls seem to think that Garcia's defense is bad as well.

1 word-defense

I understand that, but the Twitter trolls seem to think that Garcia's defense is bad as well.

I'm not seeing any metrics that show his defense to look good. On fangraphs, he's career -43.5 runs career on defense, and on BR, he's -5.4 career dWAR. However you slice it, that's pretty bad.

I've only seen the guy play a few times, so I'm just looking at data, which is likely what most of the twitter "trolls" are doing. When you have data sets over that amount of time, it's probably pretty accurate.

We don't want the guy to be bad on defense because he's about to be our guy. The data suggests he's not that good. We're picking out things (sprint speed) and other things to say "hey, he's probably not THAT bad" to tell ourselves he's good on defense. The raw numbers say he is. It is what it is. He's a decent to solid bat who plays mediocre defense.

1 word-defense

They're mostly wrong. Garcia is average-ish defensively, while Santana is horrible. Like, erase all of your offensive value horrible.

and on BR, he's -5.4 career dWAR.

I think this is skewed a bit by his younger seasons, where he had two that were -1.8-ish dWAR seasons. His more recent seasons have been much closer to average, and even those are skewed because TB had him play a bunch of CF last year, where he grades out poorly.

I think this is skewed a bit by his younger seasons, where he had two that were -1.8-ish dWAR seasons. His more recent seasons have been much closer to average, and even those are skewed because TB had him play a bunch of CF last year, where he grades out poorly.

Well, he played 12 games and 94 innings of CF last year, compared to 775 innings of RF. I don't think (going on numbers alone) that the guy is Domingo Santana bad, but the numbers (even the last few years) suggest he's still somewhat below average.

I said this earlier - but I remember watching Garcia a few years ago and thinking his defense was bad. But I think that's his unathletic build fooling my brain. Plus, I'm going by a limited sample as I only saw him a few times. Sometimes bigger people just don't look athletic -- but they are. I'm guessing Garcia falls in that group, as metrics seem to all agree he is a solid, if unspectacular, RF.

Well, he played 12 games and 94 innings of CF last year, compared to 775 innings of RF. I don't think (going on numbers alone) that the guy is Domingo Santana bad, but the numbers (even the last few years) suggest he's still somewhat below average.

Whoops, I was a line off and saw the 24 right above that. Even so, I think he graded out as and average defender, which makes sense considering his age and expected physical peak at this point.

And all this being said, I'm not against going and grabbing the guy. I'd much rather spend the money it will likely take to get Garcia than it would take to sign a "Name" like Castellanos. I think when it's all said and done, they're probably going to be pretty similar players. Castellanos will probably throw up an OPS around .830 - .840 and play bad defense and Garcia around an .800, and play bad defense at about 1/3rd the cost, and be around a 2 to 2.5 WAR player, and Castellanos will be a 3 to 3.5 WAR player, if that.

I said this earlier - but I remember watching Garcia a few years ago and thinking his defense was bad. But I think that's his unathletic build fooling my brain. Plus, I'm going by a limited sample as I only saw him a few times. Sometimes bigger people just don't look athletic -- but they are. I'm guessing Garcia falls in that group, as metrics seem to all agree he is a solid, if unspectacular, RF.

If Garcia can play RF or LF and be a -5 dWAR fielder for 130 games, I think most of us can certainly live with that. That falls within the spectrum of what I think most people would consider "average" or slightly below. It has to be better than watching Thames out there judging balls with dangerous uncertainty or worse, watching Domingo butcher rather routine fly balls.

I always thought Corey Hart looked unathletic and it always looked like he was running at 80% speed but like you said, he just had a big frame to carry around.

Archived