Brewer Fanatic

Avisail Garcia

I sure hope this is legit. Looks like he’s possibly a radio broadcaster for ESPN Deportes?

Garcia is one of those guys that could really be a great under the radar signing. Nice right handed bat that hits lefties well, plays good defense, and has some pop.

He would be a nice bat for the 5 or 6 hole next to Narvaez.

CF Cain

2B Hiura

LF Yelich

3B

C Narvaez

RF Garcia

1B Braun

SS Urias

P

I love the makeup of this lineup. I just hope we still do something about adding another middle of the order bat to protect Yelich. Even if you flip Yelich and Hiura, we still lack that 4 hole hitter. The only other idea I have would be to put Urias at the top of the lineup with Cain, dropping Yelich to third and Hiura hitting cleanup.

This lineup will sure score a lot of runs. It sure would be nice to have Castellanos for first, make him the cleanup hitter, and have Garcia as the 4th outfielder that will get ~400 at bats filling in for Braun and Cain and getting in the lineup during interleague games.

Yes, Castellanos bat would be great for this lineup, but I can't help thinking of those Brewers + Rendon rumors we heard a day or two ago. Perhaps DS has a surprise left in him. Donaldson could very well be that middle of the order bat, and he just so happens to play very solid defense as well.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is 250lbs (probably a little more) and has the exact same 90ft sprint speed as Lorenzo Cain.

How about the limp?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'd be down for this move in it's own vacuum, which is to say I think Stearns sees some potential for some surplus value with his bat and capabilities in the outfield. I also think that when we try to think a few steps ahead (how will the outfield shape out? Who will move to 1B? Is that enough?), so many of these moves will end up not seeming worth it. There are only so many obvious moves you can make, and I think Stearns and Counsell have done a pretty good job so far of figuring out how to make things eventually work out.

He is 250lbs (probably a little more) and has the exact same 90ft sprint speed as Lorenzo Cain.

Edit: At the Statcast link you can watch a virtual race between the two.

Tbf, Lorenzo Cain typically plays/sprints while nursing a broken leg like Greg Jennings.

I sure hope this is legit. Looks like he’s possibly a radio broadcaster for ESPN Deportes?

Garcia is one of those guys that could really be a great under the radar signing. Nice right handed bat that hits lefties well, plays good defense, and has some pop.

He would be a nice bat for the 5 or 6 hole next to Narvaez.

CF Cain

2B Hiura

LF Yelich

3B

C Narvaez

RF Garcia

1B Braun

SS Urias

P

I love the makeup of this lineup. I just hope we still do something about adding another middle of the order bat to protect Yelich. Even if you flip Yelich and Hiura, we still lack that 4 hole hitter. The only other idea I have would be to put Urias at the top of the lineup with Cain, dropping Yelich to third and Hiura hitting cleanup.

This lineup will sure score a lot of runs. It sure would be nice to have Castellanos for first, make him the cleanup hitter, and have Garcia as the 4th outfielder that will get ~400 at bats filling in for Braun and Cain and getting in the lineup during interleague games.

Yes, Castellanos bat would be great for this lineup, but I can't help thinking of those Brewers + Rendon rumors we heard a day or two ago. Perhaps DS has a surprise left in him. Donaldson could very well be that middle of the order bat, and he just so happens to play very solid defense as well.

Rendon would of made this lineup elite. But yes, Castellanos would be a great fit. I don’t want to go down that road with Donaldson though. I think he’s one of those guys who is going to decline FAST and I have absolutely no interest in going 4 years. Probably not even 3. 2, I would.

If Garcia is brought in, it really only leaves third base (or possibly first) as a big glaring need. The Dodgers just make too much sense as a trade partner this offseason. Not just for Hader, but for us bringing someone in like Justin Turner for one year and then reassessing third base next offseason. Turner would be that bat to plug into the cleanup spot.

I hope we land him and I don't know why people look at him as simply the 4th OF.

The reason I'd be very excited about him is that he plays a solid RF. Yelich is a GG LF. It's time we get the most out of his talents offensively AND defensively. You sign Garcia you play him in RF 120 games. Braun splits his 110 between 1b and LF. Yelich gets a lot more time in LF. Our 5th OF can be a guy like Broxton because subbing for Cain is his main responsibility. Gamel gets broken off for a prospect.

Garcia and Thames would set 1b and OF. Fairly cheap as well. 3b would be the main issue left on offense.

I hope we land him and I don't know why people look at him as simply the 4th OF.

The reason I'd be very excited about him is that he plays a solid RF. Yelich is a GG LF. It's time we get the most out of his talents offensively AND defensively. You sign Garcia you play him in RF 120 games. Braun splits his 110 between 1b and LF. Yelich gets a lot more time in LF. Our 5th OF can be a guy like Broxton because subbing for Cain is his main responsibility. Gamel gets broken off for a prospect.

Garcia and Thames would set 1b and OF. Fairly cheap as well. 3b would be the main issue left on offense.

Also, he wears his pants at his knees.

I played with this for a good 15 minutes. That was fun.

I've been running one with Johnny Estrada for the last 15 minutes and it still hasn't finished yet.

I played with this for a good 15 minutes. That was fun.

I stopped when I saw Arcia and Braun tie getting to first and I know I’ve never seen Arcia actually beat out a ground ball of any sorts.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't mind Garcia but don't let that 2017 fool you, there was no skill supporting that batting line. That .330 AVG was propped up completely by a .392 BABIP which is one of the highest in MLB history. His upside is 2019's stat line, not 2017's. I've had Arcia in fantasy a few times, he is much more athletic than some are giving him credit for here. He does in fact have decent speed, he just doesn't look the part. I wouldn't call it a strength but it certainly isn't a weakness. He does get a bit lazy at times though. That might be because he was on some bad teams.

My first choice for a right-handed power stick would be Castellanos, but his prospective price might be a detriment, especially if he's looking at near $20 million AAV on a 5-7 year deal. Garcia would be a pretty nice fallback option, depending on price and overall length of the contract. Being that he's only 28 years old, I'd be comfortable signing him for more than one year.

I don't mind Garcia but don't let that 2017 fool you, there was no skill supporting that batting line. That .330 AVG was propped up completely by a .392 BABIP which is one of the highest in MLB history. His upside is 2019's stat line, not 2017's.

This is fair. His OPS+ does suggest a potential boost from going to Miller Park, however.

I think it's interesting to not that his 2019 stat line basically replicates or slightly Moustakas's career norms. They might be able to replace Moustakas's bat this way and still have the potential to upgrade at 3B.

Guessing the Brewers may find him acceptable enough to play CF occasionally. He has logged 10-30 games there depending on the year. If you make him the 4th outfielder and have Braun play a good chunk of a platoon at 1B with someone that is probably a nice chunk of ABs. Especially with the injuries Braun/Cain will endure.

He would be more like a 3.5rdth outfielder.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/brewers-interested-in-avisail-garcia.html

This is a pretty underwhelming write-up, as the writer basically overlooks that Yelich won his Gold Glove in Miami as a left fielder, and they would likely be moving him back there on a full-time basis should Garcia be signed. The only alignment that makes sense is Yelich in LF, Cain in CF and Garcia in RF, with Braun playing predominantly at 1B, while sprinkling in in LF on Yelich/Garcia rest days.

Is Garcia/Braun better than Braun/Thames. The Brewers haven’t played Braun at first base in forever and my recollection is he wasn’t all that good at 1B to begin with. With a chronically bad back, Braun is seemingly more susceptible to injury at 1B where there is more bending and extending to field balls.

Besides, it’s not like Braun has years of play at 1B. More like 40 games or so why not play Garcia at 1B. Or Corey Dickerson, or even resign Thames, is possible?

Is Garcia/Braun better than Braun/Thames. The Brewers haven’t played Braun at first base in forever and my recollection is he wasn’t all that good at 1B to begin with. With a chronically bad back, Braun is seemingly more susceptible to injury at 1B where there is more bending and extending to field balls.

Besides, it’s not like Braun has years of play at 1B. More like 40 games or so why not play Garcia at 1B. Or Corey Dickerson, or even resign Thames, is possible?

I think it behooves them to find a LH corner infield bat in addition to Garcia whether that guy plays 3B or 1B and platoons with Braun. Adding Garcia frees them up to include Tyrone Taylor in a deal if they want to take on salary for a guy like Belt to play 1B or Seager to play 3B.

Archived