Brewer Fanatic

Travis d'Arnaud to Braves - 2 years/$16M

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Atlanta has signed catcher Travis d'Arnaud for 2 years and $16M. d'Arnaud was probably the second best catcher on the free agent market (after Grandal).

It's a nice deal for d'Arnaud as he was released just last May. He had a good campaign for Tampa, setting himself up for a good payday.

The move removes an option for the Brewers.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/braves-sign-travis-darnaud.html

Castro has been the guy who makes the most sense to me, really hoping we can grab him

Stearns hasn't gauged the market. This was not the year to sit and wait for catching and my gut tells me waiting for the Moustakas market to come to him is a mistake too.

100% agree, my gut tells me the same exact thing.

Moose will be playing for another team this year, then what? We roll with Travis Shaw at 3B, knowing full well that he could easily be 2019 Travis Shaw, not 2017-1018 Travis Shaw.

That is frightening.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

We'll see how this one works out. d'Arnaud is a good enough player to easily be worth this type of contract if he stays healthy. However, considering his extensive injury history, this could easily turn out to be a disappointing move for the Braves.

I think there are better candidates out there to pair with Pina.

d'Arnaud's career line: .246/.307/.412

Pina's career line: .257/.317/.407

2019 fWAR: d'Arnaud - 1.6 (365 PA's); Pina - 1.1 (179 PA's - almost 70% of d'Arnaud's WAR with 50% of the plate appearances)

Looks like we have one helluva bargain in Pina.

2019 fWAR: d'Arnaud - 1.6 (365 PA's); Pina - 1.1 (179 PA's - almost 70% of d'Arnaud's WAR with 50% of the plate appearances)

Plus he doesn't have anywhere close to the injury risk.

If the Brewers don't see a logical replacement for Grandal, I'm down with rolling with Pina and Nottingham, and using that saved $$$ to improve elsewhere.

Stearns hasn't gauged the market.

I believe the Braves & White Sox are the only teams that have signed anybody of note so far, so I guess that means 28 other GMs haven't gauged the market either?

Exactly. There has been a lot of gun jumping so far, even from long time posters who should probably know better. Patience is a virtue this time of year. The Brewers have money to spend, and there is no way that after this rebrand hoopla that they are going to go the "soft rebuild" route. Just let things play out a bit. They are going to make some exciting moves.

I agree but Pina just cannot be asked to be a full-time starter which is why a guy like d'Arnaud makes sense for the Brewers. Obviously, the Brewers FO has a different plan but it would have been a pretty solid platoon at a reasonable price. It's early...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Plus he doesn't have anywhere close to the injury risk.

If the Brewers don't see a logical replacement for Grandal, I'm down with rolling with Pina and Nottingham, and using that saved $$$ to improve elsewhere.

By rolling with Pina, they could spend that $16 million or so they save on retaining Pomeranz, bringing back Lyles, and signing someone like Iglesias. It might cost a couple million more beyond that, but that’s about all it would take. Heck, bring in Castellanos and Iglesias for that money for that matter (once you include savings from Arcia). If Pina gets 450 at bats this year and they keep the juiced ball, I bet he will hit between 18-20 homers and hit .250-.260. Not bad at all for under $2 million.

I think some people missed D'arnaud coming back down to earth in the final 2 months of last season nearly back to his career norms with his final stat-line.

He had one great partial season as a hitter in 2015 and otherwise has been "fine" as a hitter for a catcher...but not very good.

If Pina gets 450 at bats this year and they keep the juiced ball, I bet he will hit between 18-20 homers and hit .250-.260. Not bad at all for under $2 million.

I like Pina as much as anyone not named Pinamadness. But I don't see any way that is happening, juiced ball or not. I would expect 12-15 homers at .225, with above average defense - and that is at 70% of the starts. And I definitely hope they keep him to less starts, but Counsell seems to like to keep use that best guy quite a bit.

I do agree that unless a veteran falls to them for cheap to just run with Pina and Nottingham or whoever they scrounge up on the cheap. For the marginal increase over Nottingham, it would be better to spend those bucks elsewhere. Doesn't seem to be too hard to find an adequate catcher at the deadline if you really need one.

Wouldn't be against Vogt coming back - nobody runs anymore anyways and that gets you a lefty to platoon with.

I agree but Pina just cannot be asked to be a full-time starter which is why a guy like d'Arnaud makes sense for the Brewers. Obviously, the Brewers FO has a different plan but it would have been a pretty solid platoon at a reasonable price. It's early...

Why exactly can't Pina be the primary starter? He's not the kind of stud All Star you push to catch 150+ games, but I don't see why he can't catch 120. The backup catcher spot is a bigger concern depending on how they are evaluating Nottingham, but fixing that problem does not require us using our free agency resources when SS, 3B, and possibly 1B are bigger needs (1B depend on whether they plan on moving Braun).

I'm perfectly fine with upgrading SS, and having Pina be the boring guy on the team who hits 8th and puts up an average to slightly-below-average 1.0-2.0 WAR season.

Why exactly can't Pina be the primary starter? He's not the kind of stud All Star you push to catch 150+ games, but I don't see why he can't catch 120. The backup catcher spot is a bigger concern depending on how they are evaluating Nottingham, but fixing that problem does not require us using our free agency resources when SS, 3B, and possibly 1B are bigger needs (1B depend on whether they plan on moving Braun).

I'm perfectly fine with upgrading SS, and having Pina be the boring guy on the team who hits 8th and puts up an average to slightly-below-average 1.0-2.0 WAR season.

He’s caught over 100 games ONCE in his entire career including the minor leagues. He’s going to be 33-years old and I don’t expect that to change. He wears down back there. He’s good for 85-95 games a year which is why you need a solid platoon mate with him for the catching position to work with Pina.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He’s caught over 100 games ONCE in his entire career including the minor leagues. He’s going to be 33-years old and I don’t expect that to change. He wears down back there. He’s good for 85-95 games a year which is why you need a solid platoon mate with him for the catching position to work with Pina.

He hasn't caught more than 100 games because the Brewers signed Grandal in 2019, Erik Kratz lit on fire down the stretch in 2018, and Stephen Vogt was brought in to be the primary catcher in 2017. In 2016 we still had Lucroy. I don't know if there is any reason to think Pina has durability issues.

Of course, a normal (non star) primary catcher is only going to catch 100-120 games anyway.

If we roll with Arcia, which I fully expect is our plan, then we have the bottom 1/3 of our order as absolute crap.

7. Pina

8. Arcia

9. Pitcher (unless it's a Woodruff start...lol)

That is just yucky.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If we roll with Arcia, which I fully expect is our plan, then we have the bottom 1/3 of our order as absolute crap.

7. Pina

8. Arcia

That is just yucky.

FanGraphs splits go back to 2002. During that time NL 7th hole hitters have posted league average wRC+ marks between 85 & 93. Last year it was 89.

Manny's wRC+ the last three years has ranged from 86 to 95.

He hasn't caught more than 100 games because the Brewers signed Grandal in 2019, Erik Kratz lit on fire down the stretch in 2018, and Stephen Vogt was brought in to be the primary catcher in 2017. In 2016 we still had Lucroy. I don't know if there is any reason to think Pina has durability issues.

Of course, a normal (non star) primary catcher is only going to catch 100-120 games anyway.

Sounds like you just described a platoon guy. Glad we agree. Hope we can pair someone up with him that can catch 70-80 games and chip in offensively.

7. Pina

8. Arcia

That is just yucky.

FanGraphs splits go back to 2002. During that time NL 7th hole hitters have posted league average wRC+ marks between 85 & 93. Last year it was 89.

That's good research. Thanks!

And it offers some hope. I was dreading that bottom third of the lineup, but at least the Pina part is in line with others.

7. Pina

8. Arcia

That is just yucky.

That's good research. Thanks!

And it offers some hope. I was dreading that bottom third of the lineup, but at least the Pina part is in line with others.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's still every NL club where the pitcher bats, correct? So that's 100% of NL bottom 3rds with a flaw.

It also wouldn't shock me if there were other teams that had some combination of C, SS, P at the bottom of their lineups.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

IF we were to sign Didi & Moose, clearly a big IF, we could end up with a lineup something like this (with extremely back of the envelope possible median 2020 wRC+ ranges)...

Cain (95-105 wRC+)

Yelich (165-175 wRC+)

Hiura (125-135 wRC+)

Moose (105-115 wRC+)

Braun (105-115 wRC+)

Didi (100-110 wRC+)

Grisham (95-105 wRC+)

Manny (85-95 wRC+)

That's a pretty nice/deep lineup with one truly elite guy in Yelich, a budding superstar in Hiura, two really solid veteran run producers in Moose/Braun, two positive regression candidates in Lorenzo/Didi, a young guy that should be solid with a lot of potential upside in Grisham & then Pina, a really good defensive catcher who hits about average for the position.

Archived