Brewer Fanatic

Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

JimH5

Voting members of the BBWAA have their Hall of Fame ballots. Inductees will be announced on January 21st. Some of the ballots have already been announced publicly, with "Only Jeter" getting some online discussion.

Here are the candidates:

New to the ballot are:

Bobby Abreu

Josh Beckett

Heath Bell

Eric Chávez

Adam Dunn

Chone Figgins

Rafael Furcal

Jason Giambi

Raúl Ibañez

Derek Jeter

Paul Konerko

Cliff Lee

Carlos Peña

Brad Penny

J.J. Putz

Brian Roberts

Alfonso Soriano

José Valverde.

And returning candidates are:

Curt Schilling

60.9%

8th year

Roger Clemens

59.5%

8th year

Barry Bonds

59.1%

8th year

Larry Walker

54.6%

10th year

Omar Vizquel

42.8%

3rd year

Manny Ramírez

22.8%

4th year

Jeff Kent

18.1%

7th year

Scott Rolen

17.2%

3rd year

Billy Wagner

16.7%

5th year

Todd Helton

16.5%

2nd year

Gary Sheffield

13.6%

6th year

Andy Pettitte

9.9%

2nd year

Sammy Sosa

8.5%

8th year

Andruw Jones

7.5%

3rd year

Discuss..

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My own hypothetical ballot would be:

Jeter, Vizquel and Kent.

I'm torn on Schilling, who deserves to be in on merit, but whose post-career life has been full of self-inflicted controversy.

Larry Walker was tremendous, but he missed so much time to injury. Rolen is similar.

I don't think I'm going to move on the PED guys. There's loads of stuff in the History of Baseball exhibit about those players and their achievements. I just don't think baseball needs to honor them with an induction ceremony.

I stopped following this stuff as the process of who gets in and when is just too stupid for me. Leaving the best players to ever play out and putting in guys who see good but not great means the Hall has very little value to me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Larry Walker was tremendous, but he missed so much time to injury. Rolen is similar

Walker had 8,030 PAs with a 141 OPS+ which by BRef's calculations works out to 420 batting runs.

Dave Winfield had 12,358 PAs, but only managed 416 batting runs. Rod Carew 10,550 PAs/403 batting runs. Tony Gwynn 10,232 PAs/403 batting runs. Eddie Murray 12,817 PAs/392 batting runs.

Even with 2,000-4,000+ fewer plate appearances, Larry still managed to provide more value with his bat than a number of first ballot selections. He was also a superior defender & baserunner when compared to the four players above who he also outhit.

Outproducing multiple first ballot Hall of Famers in considerably less playing time makes Walker even more deserving in my eyes, but then again I'm not a Baseball Writer of America, so what do I know?

Schilling and Jeter for sure.

Would have to think about Vizquel and Rolen.

I think the "modern era" or whatever is largely a sham. But a special mention to Lou Whitaker in that department who should have been inducted by the writers years ago.

A few voters have taken players off their ballot from last year because they think Jeter should go in alone. So they are solely voting for Jeter.

Those people are morons. There’s no better word to describe them that isn’t vulgar.

Yep. The whole process is ridiculous.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Jeter and schilling for sure. I’m still against the roid users, putting up video game numbers with cheat codes isn’t that impressive. But what’s interesting to me is the number of border line guys. I’d have difficulty deciding to vote or not for walker, Kent, Andruw Jones, billy Wagner, and Scott Rolen. Of course all of those players are better than Harold Baines, so maybe they’ll get in eventually anyway

Jeter, Schilling, Bonds, Clemens.

I believe that MLB knew exactly what was happening during the steroid era, and let it happen because it was good for the bottom line. The PED guys were playing within the de facto rules in place at the time. It's not fair to hold them to a different standard now.

Jeter, Schilling, Bonds, Clemens.

I believe that MLB knew exactly what was happening during the steroid era, and let it happen because it was good for the bottom line. The PED guys were playing within the de facto rules in place at the time. It's not fair to hold them to a different standard now.

Ditto this list. Not that steroids are okay or right. Rather, the HOF is full of guys that took things to help their performance or recovery time -- uppers (including cocaine), greenies, amphetamines, etc. -- or knowingly cheated (G. Perry) or risked harm to other players (LaRussa ordering his pitchers to throw at Braun, which he admitted to 2 months after they won the WS and he retired). Standards players are held to, and public sentiment about them, are to some degree products of their time and, in the long view, at best, not consistent.

The steroid thing has been overblown since Day One esp. because the media kept fanning flames because it was a story, and I think they managed to convince much of America it was a sacrilegious scandal when the majority of folks weren't overly compelled by the story in the first place. Had today's media and its nature been present during the cocaine/etc. scandals breaking in the early '80s (K. Hernandez, W. Stargell, etc. at the time, Molitor among others noted after-the-fact), or in any other era, many seemingly sure-fire HOF players wouldn't have had a prayer of making it any more than the "steroid era" poster boys of today.

My ballot:

Jeter - Clearly a yes on the 3,000 hits.

Schilling - A yes for me based on the career

Kent - He's one of the best 2B of all time

Walker - I think he warrants it, based on HOF Monitor and JAWS

Rolen - A close call, but yes, also on HOF Monitor and JAWS

I hope that Bonds and Clemens get elected in the next couple of years but beyond that I don't concern my self too much with the ballot anymore. Once Harold Baines got in last year I assume most of these borderline guys like Walker/Vizquel/Helton will be pretty much guaranteed enshrinement at some point.

My ballot:

Jeter - Clearly a yes on the 3,000 hits.

Schilling - A yes for me based on the career

Kent - He's one of the best 2B of all time

Walker - I think he warrants it, based on HOF Monitor and JAWS

Rolen - A close call, but yes, also on HOF Monitor and JAWS

This would be my vote.

I hope that Bonds and Clemens get elected in the next couple of years but beyond that I don't concern my self too much with the ballot anymore. Once Harold Baines got in last year I assume most of these borderline guys like Walker/Vizquel/Helton will be pretty much guaranteed enshrinement at some point.

Pretty much agree, although Walker is an easy yes from me.

Pretty much agree, although Walker is an easy yes from me.

I can see a case for Walker and Helton...

But Vizquel? I don't see the case there - he played an impressive 24 years in the majors, but it's not HOF-worthy, IMO.

Archived