Brewer Fanatic

Rendon??

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rendon is going to get a lot of money, so it's either going to be all in - meaning 7 or 8 years, and $32-35M annually. Or they go short term, but for higher dollars - such as $37-40M annually for 2-3 years.

I don't think either happens, but you never know.

The more I’ve thought about this, I actually do think the Brewers should make an offer to Anthony Rendon that is a competitive AAV at five or fewer years. Possibly include a player opt out after either the 2nd or 3rd year to help incentivize their offer.

IMO Rendon is way out of Stearns' price range. He's likely going to get Cole type money. They'd be better off going for Moose and getting Wheeler (4-$80M) for about the same money.

Unless it’s self imposed (which would be total bs) it is absolute fiction that anyone is out of the Brewers’ price range this offseason. Whether it’s a good idea is another thing. Rendon and Yelich would be the best 3-4 in baseball. I say do whatever it takes to get him because the window is now.

The more I’ve thought about this, I actually do think the Brewers should make an offer to Anthony Rendon that is a competitive AAV at five or fewer years. Possibly include a player opt out after either the 2nd or 3rd year to help incentivize their offer.

IMO Rendon is way out of Stearns' price range. He's likely going to get Cole type money. They'd be better off going for Moose and getting Wheeler (4-$80M) for about the same money.

Unless it’s self imposed (which would be total bs) it is absolute fiction that anyone is out of the Brewers’ price range this offseason. Whether it’s a good idea is another thing. Rendon and Yelich would be the best 3-4 in baseball. I say do whatever it takes to get him because the window is now.

It's not that they can't afford to do it, it's that they can't afford for that deal to go bad. Someone is going to give him a 7 year offer. If he signs with us for 7 years, awesome! But that deal will kind of limit us to what we can do in the future for upgrades, players getting raises, and it still doesn't solve our pitching problem. Plus, why not use that money to extend Yeli? I feel like your basicaly saying he's gone in 3 years if you sign Rendon. You never know with stearns though, but imo you could get moose, a huge pitching additon, and a 1b for less than what it'd take to get rendon.

Not that Rendon wasn’t good before, but he just had a killer career year and is going on 30. You don’t take a short term deal at that age when you can lock in the mega deal. A 2-3 year deal would be a dream theory if he was hitting FA at some crazy young age like 26-27.

It just doesn’t make a ton of sense for him.

Not that Rendon wasn’t good before, but he just had a killer career year and is going on 30. You don’t take a short term deal at that age when you can lock in the mega deal. A 2-3 year deal would be a dream theory if he was hitting FA at some crazy young age like 26-27.

It just doesn’t make a ton of sense for him.

Let me preface with this before offering a counter argument, I think the odds of the Brewers signing Rendon as well as the odds that he actually takes a shorter term, higher AAV deal both remain extreme long shots.

Now if we were discussing any other superstar hitter turning 30 years old and entering free agency I would agree with you at an almost 100% certainty. Rendon seems like he could be a slightly different story in terms of motivation. He is the same guy that once said he doesn’t watch baseball on TV because it’s too boring, and more recently when asked what he was going to be doing at age 36 (the current age of teammate Howie Kendrick) he answered, “Hopefully not playing baseball. Probably sitting on the couch hanging out with my kids. [Kendrick is] probably going to play another 20 years.” Now I am sure he was just joking, but it also isn’t exactly the answer of a guy that is eyeing up some crazy decade long commitment. Now that being said, he is a Boras client.

Ultimately I think Rendon will probably re-sign with the Nationals for something like 7 years for $240-$250 million.

If I was a team convinced he was the difference making piece that was needed for a serious WS run I would consider offering him the following contract terms:

Year 1: $42.5 million

Year 2: $42.5 million

*Player Opt Out*

Year 3: $40 million

*Player Opt Out*

Year 4: $35 million

Year 5: $35 million

Year 6: Mutual Option for $35 million or $5 million buyout.

That guarantees him $85 million over two years before having the option to seek a new contract if he wishes. It gives him another option to look around after 3 years (and $125 million guaranteed). The full contract with the buyout guarantees him a minimum of $200 million over 5 years if he chooses not to take the player opt outs. I think that might appeal to him over a 7 year and $250 million deal with no player opt outs.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Living in la la land if we think there is a chance he's coming to Milwaukee... better chance of him retiring.

I agree completely. Forget Rendon. If Stearns is looking to spend big money, spend it on Moose (3/$33M) - Wheeler (4/$80 with a 5th year including buyout) - Bentances (2/$12M). Could have all three for the money mentioned for one year of Rendon.

Living in la la land if we think there is a chance he's coming to Milwaukee... better chance of him retiring.

I agree completely. Forget Rendon. If Stearns is looking to spend big money, spend it on Moose (3/$33M) - Wheeler (4/$80 with a 5th year including buyout) - Bentances (2/$12M). Could have all three for the money mentioned for one year of Rendon.

Until Moose signs for 4-50, Wheeler 4-96, and Betances for 3-21. I think after Pomerance's deal, Grandal's etc, the cost is higher than what is believed until we reach the new year.

Until Moose signs for 4-50, Wheeler 4-96, and Betances for 3-21. I think after Pomerance's deal, Grandal's etc, the cost is higher than what is believed until we reach the new year.

About the max I would go to for Moose would be 3/36 with a 4th year option, really wish Erceg/Gatewood would have come on stronger, since we wouldn't be here if they would have panned out better. I just can't see throwing that amount of cash at Wheeler and Betances, too much. I'm having a hard enough time trying to decide whether they should tender Shaw as it is.

Somewhere between prophet & underestimation, BCD80.... referring to Moose' 4/64 deal today w/ the Reds. So much for $12M/year being a number he'd consider viable.

No, actually just visiting. Headed back home to Crazy Town next week.

I love Crazy Town. I usually rent out an apartment there for at least a few weeks every postseason.

Having said that, I’m all in on making offers to Rendon & Strasburg, getting outbid on them, and signing Bumgarner & Donaldson...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Who knows if Rendon would even want to play in Milwaukee but if we gave him 30-35 million per year we’d still have roughly 30 million to spend on pitching upgrades and still be at a comfortable payroll. And then Braun comes off the books next year.

Who knows if Rendon would even want to play in Milwaukee but if we gave him 30-35 million per year we’d still have roughly 30 million to spend on pitching upgrades and still be at a comfortable payroll. And then Braun comes off the books next year.

What are we at? Near $80mil? So that leaves like $15mil...generously speaking. Braun only frees up like $15mil in the future and that would all be eaten up by arby raises etc. I am sure.

Rendon would make our lineup look dreamy. We lack that big bat to protect Yelich and with Rendon being right handed and being one of the last big holes we have left to fill, it makes so much sense.

I also think this could set us up nicely to take on someone like Justin Turner from the Dodgers, which is a much likelier option. Only one year left on his contract as well. You could bring in Turner and Kendrick for under $30 million and have a lot of money left to go after a couple starting pitchers.

I thought it was more like 65-70 million right now?

With the recent non tenders I believe so. But that is just that many more players needing to be replaced. Might be even lower with Davies gone too. Kinda messy when your payroll only accounts for half a roster.

Regardless spending a quarter of our payroll on one dude is slim to none. You can't ignore arbitration costs though. There are a few pricey guys in the next few years and then it really balloons in 2022...that could be one heck of an arbitration class when Cain/Yelich are still on the payroll.

I would go sign Thames and another affordable 3B to round out the offense (or whatever cheaper 1B you prefer). Then I would go sign Ryu plus another of the nice starters on the market (or Lyles if we cheap).

Seems way better than dumping $35mil for Rendon to grow old in Milwaukee.

I thought it was more like 65-70 million right now?

The Brewers are currently a hair under $77 million including the move from today adding $3 million to the payroll. Currently, they have around $50 million to reach last year’s payroll.

Archived