Brewer Fanatic

Darvish accuses Yelich of sign stealing

MrTPlush

Darvish claimed Brewers/Yelich of cheating:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChristianYelich/status/1195462269594812417

EDIT: After reading the Darvish tweet and what he responded to I don’t think he was necessarily saying the Brewers were cheating. Just that he stepped off cause Yelich’s eyes moved first. The tweet Darvish was clarifying on (what he did) was basically claiming the Brewers were cheaters...think Darvish kinda got caught in the middle.

Really tried to backtrack, but there did seem to be some implication.

Wasn't thrilled about Yelich's reply, though. Came off as overly defensive and didn't really make much sense.

I can understand why he would be frustrated with being called a cheater when his entire life revolves around the game. He’s telling Darvish to be better than how he’s acting by implying Yelich is cheating against him. He continued on in a little bit of a snarky way and said that people don’t need help facing him. That’s a much milder jab than implying an organization is cheating at a whole. Which is something the Brewers are facing for literally no reason other than a St. Louis writer stated so.

Also, I think you can look at every professional athlete and they will have a little arrogance to them. I don’t see anything wrong with what Yelich said.

Really tried to backtrack, but there did seem to be some implication.

Wasn't thrilled about Yelich's reply, though. Came off as overly defensive and didn't really make much sense.

I can understand why he would be frustrated with being called a cheater when his entire life revolves around the game. He’s telling Darvish to be better than how he’s acting by implying Yelich is cheating against him. He continued on in a little bit of a snarky way and said that people don’t need help facing him. That’s a much milder jab than implying an organization is cheating at a whole. Which is something the Brewers are facing for literally no reason other than a St. Louis writer stated so.

Also, I think you can look at every professional athlete and they will have a little arrogance to them. I don’t see anything wrong with what Yelich said.

It just didn't make a lot of sense because Darvish is a pretty good pitcher and shut down the Brewers in 2019. If he was talking to some scrub pitcher from the Pirates it probably would have come off as pretty funny.

Don’t get why Yelich responded like he did, overall it’s much ado about nothing. Darvish was simply replying to someone asking him why he stepped off the mound in an AB vs Yelich, and he said he saw Yelich look away so he stepped off. Darvish’s literal next tweet in reply to the tweet Yelich quotes was that he wasn’t implicating and Brewer on sign stealing and then he said the same thing when he quote tweeted Yelich’s response. Don’t really care, but was kinda a weird response by Yelich.

Darvish also was interviewed about the Astros sign stealing in the 2017 WS today and he basically took the high road. He said he was bad regardless and he failed and hopes to learn from it. He didn’t throw the Astros under the bus or blame them at all.

Don’t get why Yelich responded like he did, overall it’s much ado about nothing. Darvish was simply replying to someone asking him why he stepped off the mound in an AB vs Yelich, and he said he saw Yelich look away so he stepped off. Darvish’s literal next tweet in reply to the tweet Yelich quotes was that he wasn’t implicating and Brewer on sign stealing and then he said the same thing when he quote tweeted Yelich’s response. Don’t really care, but was kinda a weird response by Yelich.

Darvish also was interviewed about the Astros sign stealing in the 2017 WS today and he basically took the high road. He said he was bad regardless and he failed and hopes to learn from it. He didn’t throw the Astros under the bus or blame them at all.

The part you’re leaving out though is Darvish was seemingly acknowledging that the video clip was indeed related to his quotes in an Los Angeles Times article from earlier today.

Here is the screenshot of the part of the article where he is presumably talking about the Brewers...

49071284703_ac178e6112_z.jpg

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The part you’re leaving out though is Darvish was seemingly acknowledging that the video clip was indeed related to his quotes in an Los Angeles Times article from earlier today.

Here is the screenshot of the part of the article where he is presumably talking about the Brewers...

49071284703_ac178e6112_z.jpg

Got it. Still doesn’t seem like it should be a thing but it’s November and nothing is going on. All for some (likely friendly) jabs between guys.

I thought the whole exchange was funny. Funnier how seriously random joe blows on Twitter take it, pointing out stats and splits like it's a presidential debate.

It's amusing to me any time grown men defend these 20-somethings who don't know they exist so furiously, like they are their kids. It was a funny rib, just move on. He OPS'd 1400 on him, he can make a stupid joke. Donaldson was funny too.

Yu Darvish brought up Christian Yelich glancing out to Brewers bullpen during an AB this year, which caused Darvish to step off when he noticed it.

Yelich Twitter response was priceless: “Be better than that, nobody needs help facing you”.

:laughing

I honestly think his glances were probably checking where the defense was aligned. Darvish being a baby and got Twitter owned.

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/christian-yelich-yu-darvish-brewers-sign-stealing-allegation/523839

The more the story comes out, it was actually a Cardinals beat writer who started the accusations against Mil for sign stealing. Darvish was just replying to a Twitter post and confirmed he stepped off because of Yelich glance to left/center.

If Yelich truly thought Darvish meant ill with his comment, I would have liked his reply a lot better if he had just left it at the first 4 words. The last 5 kind of come off as salty especially when Darvish pretty much dominated the Brewers this season.

Only Yu knows what Yu meant, and likewise, only Yelich knows if his response was intended to be a funny rib or if he was genuinely pissed -- sure comes off as the latter to me. Donaldson's was funny.

End of the day it doesn't need to be a huge deal, though.

Yu Darvish brought up Christian Yelich glancing out to Brewers bullpen during an AB this year, which caused Darvish to step off when he noticed it.

Yelich Twitter response was priceless: “Be better than that, nobody needs help facing you”.

I honestly think his glances were probably checking where the defense was aligned. Darvish being a baby and got Twitter owned.

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/christian-yelich-yu-darvish-brewers-sign-stealing-allegation/523839

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Judging from Yu's response and the reaction of most people on Twitter, Yelich is the one getting owned at the moment. Hopefully nothing comes from this because that Yelich tweet probably got 100,000 people watching videos of his at bats trying to find something.

I don't think anyone got "owned". It wasn't a great look for either side. It comes off as accusatory from Darvish and it was a silly response by Yelich.

I like Yelich's dialogue with Cody Bellinger after Bellinger won MVP a lot better.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think the people that say they definitively know one way or the other what Yelich is looking at are silly. He flicks his eyes for a second, possibly less. If you're that good at video analysis, go watch the Zapruder film and figure that out for us.

That being said, it was literally a split second, and unless/until there's something more substantial, this is nothing.

I also agree with others that think Yelich's response could have and should have been a bit more subdued. The Braun fiasco is evidence A1 of that.

One has to wonder what would be said if there was a real rivalry between these two teams.

This is the second, sort of joking, accusation a Cubs player/coach made against a Brewer in the last three years. First was all the Cub's "makes you go hmmm" thoughts on how Thames could be hitting so well. Now this. Memo to Cubs; Just because our team has exceeded expectations lately does not make it the reason you're not living up to yours.

I also have to give some credence to the Cards writer who first suggested the Brewers did it too. After all, who would know better about cheating than a writer who covers a team who got caught hacking other teams computers?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think what I liked least about Yelich's reply was the fact that a full 90 minutes earlier, Darvish followed up his original message with a tweet that literally said "But that doesn't mean the Brewers are stealing signs."

So he had already clarified it and that was a great opportunity for Yelich to just ignore it and walk away. Or do what Donaldson did and make a joke about it. Instead he took a petty shot and called a lot more attention to it than it otherwise would have gotten and made people more suspicious than they would have been.

The criticism of Yelich and his comment here is comical.

I don't blame him in the slightest for his comment, and find it strange that so many here are not on his side.

Whatever.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The criticism of Yelich and his comment here is comical.

I don't blame him in the slightest for his comment, and find it strange that so many here are not on his side.

Whatever.

Boy, really seems to bother you. It's not a huge deal. Yeah, I think he should have handled it better and taken the high road. Doesn't mean I don't love the guy and support him. I can separate my personal opinions from my love for Brewer players.

I also don't think it's a huge thing at all. I was just surprised from how he has usually conducted himself in the past that he would take a shot at the pitching ability of a pretty good pitcher over a perceived insult that really wasn't one.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I just hope when we face yu again Yelich glances to the outfield a lot. Might as well get in the guy’s head if he’s so sensitive about where you look and when.

Every batter calls time, glances out to the left-center, gives a little head nod, and steps back in.

This is a little random, but if sign stealing really is rampant across MLB it seems that Brent Suter’s tempo is the perfect counter. He goes into his pitching motion fairly quickly after receiving the catchers signal and relentlessly continues to work fast between pitches.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

This is a little random, but if sign stealing really is rampant across MLB it seems that Brent Suter’s tempo is the perfect counter. He goes into his pitching motion fairly quickly after receiving the catchers signal and relentlessly continues to work fast between pitches.

Perhaps. Although I swear he threw mostly fastballs this year, so not to hard to worry about shaking off pitches

Archived