Brewer Fanatic

Jake Odorizzi and Jose Abreu accept QO's

KeithStone53151

This is good to see. I'm so tired of people saying the system doesn't work because the marginal guys turn down the offer and then end up taking a paycut. These guys should be taking this type of offer and I'm glad some players are actually starting to do it. It is like a much less strict version of the franchise player in the NFL.

This is good to see. I'm so tired of people saying the system doesn't work because the marginal guys turn down the offer and then end up taking a paycut. These guys should be taking this type of offer and I'm glad some players are actually starting to do it. It is like a much less strict version of the franchise player in the NFL.

Agreed completely. Abreu especially would never do better than the QO. Odorizzi maybe, but he's also one more solid year away from probably a 3 year deal next year with no QO attached...and he'd definitely never get a multi-year deal with a higher AAV of $17.8m.

You can add in that Smith was going to take the QO if he didn't get a better offer, so 3 of 10 would have taken. Cole, Donaldson, Rendon, and Strasburg will shatter the QO mark on at least 4 year deals each. MadBum and Wheeler probably get $50-70 million deals. I'm wondering to myself about Ozuna, he probably should have taken the QO. I feel like he's the guy that might not get great offers and end up signing after the draft...or generally get a crappy offers and take less than the QO.

I agree but I wonder if the players see it that way. In the NFL a lot of money isn't guaranteed like it is in baseball. Taking the QO in baseball might give the player a higher annual salary but a lower annual salary for more years is better protection from injury or ineffectiveness that NFL players don't have either way.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived