Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith to Braves 3 years $39 million

Likely sets up Pomeranz to get about $10mil annually. I doubt Pomeranz demands a deal as good as Smith who has a lengthy track record of success.I know many don't expect him to get 3 years, but I think he could. Probably talking a $20mil-$30mil commitment over 2-3 years.

I think Pomeranz falls into the $8m per vs the $10+m per, though I think 3/24 is possible for him. Overall that's a good deal for Smith, good for him. I wonder also if the Braves will be inclined to sign another QO player now that they've signed one. The next pick they give up is a 4th rounder...that much less valuable than a 3rd.

Looks like the Fresh Prince won't be pitching for the Men in Black (& Orange) next year. Leaving the Wild Wild West for Atlanta should provide ample opportunity to get jiggy wit it, as it were. I guess after six years he's finally earned his own personal Independence Day, so can't really fault his choice & can only wish him well in his Pursuit of Happyness.

Looks like the Fresh Prince won't be pitching for the Men in Black (& Orange) next year. Leaving the Wild Wild West for Atlanta should provide ample opportunity to get jiggy wit it, as it were. I guess after six years he's finally earned his own personal Independence Day, so can't really fault his choice & can only wish him well in his Pursuit of Happyness.

Wow, thanks for pointing out how many terrible movies/songs Will Smith has been a part of.

Correcting my note above, the Braves I don't think will actually lose a pick. They'll get a comp pick from Donaldson for rejecting the QO. I think that whole thing ends up being a wash, but I certainly could be wrong and if so feel free to correct me.

Lose their first but get a comp, so they'll probably only drop back 5 or so spots.

Correcting my note above, the Braves I don't think will actually lose a pick. They'll get a comp pick from Donaldson for rejecting the QO. I think that whole thing ends up being a wash, but I certainly could be wrong and if so feel free to correct me.

They lose their pick for signing him. They may get one for Donaldson, but that has absolutely nothing to do with their decision to sacrifice a pick to sign Smith. Calling it a wash really isn’t the proper way to look at it.

Well, once he puts his Hancock on the contract anyway. His future is certainly looking Bright.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Regardless of the lost draft pick I think this is a great deal for the Braves. I won’t be surprised if Will Smith ends up being one of the top performers from this years free agent class.

Will be curious to see if the Braves will be able to figure out a way to keep Big Willie fresh through the second half.

In his five full seasons as a reliever he has posted first half ERAs of...

3.09, 1.87, 2.12, 1.23, 1.98

compared to second half ERAs of....

4.91, 3.64, 4.24, 4.18, 3.72

Well, once he puts his Hancock on the contract anyway. His future is certainly looking Bright.

And once he joins the rest of the Bad Boys of the Bullpen, he can either declare that "I am Legend" or if things doesn't go well, be part of the Suicide Squad.

Archived