Brewer Fanatic

CC finishes 2nd in Manager of Year voting

markedman5

To play devil's advocate, the only reason Counsell had to manage out of his mind in Ssptember was because this team arguably underachieved for the majority of the season. Yeah, September was great, but it's the Manager of the Year award, not the Manager of September award.

I don't really think anyone outside of Brewer's fans thinks this though. They were playing to roughly what they were projected to do and most "experts" had them not making the playoffs. It was a really awful rotation all year long.

To play devil's advocate, the only reason Counsell had to manage out of his mind in September was because this team arguably underachieved for the majority of the season. Yeah, September was great, but it's the Manager of the Year award, not the Manager of September award.

I don't really think anyone outside of Brewer's fans thinks this though. They were playing to roughly what they were projected to do and most "experts" had them not making the playoffs. It was a really awful rotation all year long.

So even if you say that they played to expectations for the majority of the season, that still isn't evidence that he deserved the award. There weren't a lot of "experts" that predicted another 96 wins and a Central title, but a quick cursory Google search for 2019 MLB predictions indicates that pretty much no one thought this team wouldn't be competitive ... anywhere from 88-92 wins, and squarely in the division/Wild Card chase. Playing roughly .500 ball through the end of August would be considered by most underachieving, regardless of what Fangraphs or any of those other projection algorithms said.

I seem to recall most projections at the beginning of the season having the Brewers making the playoffs. In 2018 I don't recall many, if any, pre-season predictions showing the Brewers making the playoffs. So, I think they out performed expectations more so in 2018 than in 2019. Either way, I'm a Counsell fan and I'm glad the Brewer's have him as manager.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

To play devil's advocate, the only reason Counsell had to manage out of his mind in Ssptember was because this team arguably underachieved for the majority of the season. Yeah, September was great, but it's the Manager of the Year award, not the Manager of September award.

If you read articles about the voters and what they were thinking a lot of them were super impressed with what CC could do with a poor rotation and continue to win even after Yelich got hurt.

I actually agree with Tom Verducci:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/11/13/christian-yelich-mvp

Based on their run differential of +3, the Brewers should have been expected to win 81 games. They won 89. It was the third straight season Counsell’s teams outperformed their expected, or Pythagorean, won-lost record.

That sounds like a Manager of the Year argument to me.

The roster CC had wasn't all that good so to say he underperformed during any part of the year is wrong in my eyes. It was a miracle that the team made it in a position that they did.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The actual voter records are somewhat interesting:

1st Place Votes from writers covering the NL Central: 5 out of 10 (which includes both Milwaukee Votes.

Milwaukee is the ONLY NL city without two voting members of the BBWAA. Tom Verducci's vote was assigned as the 2nd from Milwaukee.

Counsell got more first place votes from the writers for NL East teams and NL West teams than from the writers for the NL Central teams. Maybe they're more familiar and therefore less impressed, maybe its just homer-ism.

Despite living in Chicago, I've never heard of Eugene McIntosh or The Bigs Media which is apparently who he writes for. McIntosh gave his first place vote to Dave Roberts; one of only two first place votes coming from outside the Los Angeles Market.

I think this award is probably the least important out of all the major awards because the criteria is completely arbitrary.

All I know is that there isn't a single manager in the NL that I'd rather have managing the Brewers. I am 100% satisfied with Counsell as a manager and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I think this award is probably the least important out of all the major awards because the criteria is completely arbitrary.

All I know is that there isn't a single manager in the NL that I'd rather have managing the Brewers. I am 100% satisfied with Counsell as a manager and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Me too. Don't take my argument above as me saying that he doesn't deserve the honor. I personally think he very much does. It's just that there's a logical argument that a voter can make saying that he doesn't.

I get not voting for him number one but to leave him off altogether is hard to understand. It isn't like he was a fringe candidate. He got the most first place votes and it isn't like this season is a one hit wonder.

That's my problem with it as well. If the majority gave him 1st place votes, it stands to reason that he should be on everyone's top 3. It's going to be funny when Beltran wins it next year.

Archived