Brewer Fanatic

Drew Pomeranz

TURBO

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that Drew Pomeranz is a "hot name in the relief market."

Passan expects Pomeranz to land "a multiyear deal at a strong AAV." Pomeranz's move to the bullpen looks like it could be a career-changer, as he posted a dominant 2.39 ERA with 45 strikeouts over 26 1/3 innings in relief.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter

Nov 8, 2019, 5:31 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The way the last couple off seasons have been trending predicted numbers, IMO are way over what they will be. For instance, Pomeranz will likely get something at 5/6 per year for 2-3 years as a guy with a short track record as a reliever. Additionally, if anybody gives Bumgarner 18 per year (MLBTR prediction) they should be shot. Davies is better at this point.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

This probably doesn't belong in this thread ... but re: Pomeranz, the guy was a game changer out of the pen. Suter can be spoken of the same way. What criteria should we be looking for with starters who are league average or worse to be brought to the pen to become extreme assets? Alt deliveries? Alt pace? Alt anything?

I feel like if I were a rebuilding club looking to stockpile young talent and assets that could be turned into young talent ... finding starters turned bullpen arms to be deadline bait would be a cheap method of strategy.

This probably doesn't belong in this thread ... but re: Pomeranz, the guy was a game changer out of the pen. Suter can be spoken of the same way. What criteria should we be looking for with starters who are league average or worse to be brought to the pen to become extreme assets? Alt deliveries? Alt pace? Alt anything?

I feel like if I were a rebuilding club looking to stockpile young talent and assets that could be turned into young talent ... finding starters turned bullpen arms to be deadline bait would be a cheap method of strategy.

Taking a failed starter and throwing them in the pen, only to see them morph into a shut-down reliever, certainly isn’t the norm. Typically a bad pitcher is a bad pitcher regardless of what role they are used in. Pomeranz has always been a guy with great stuff, but definitely attacked more as a reliever.

In the playoff game, I think the pitching plan got a little messed up with Suter only going one. I was really hoping Pomy was going to go three.

Having Pomeranz/Hader/Claudio as lefties coming out of the pen is a true weapon and I really hope they can figure it out with his agent.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If we bolster our pen with dominant multi-inning relievers, I feel better about not upgrading our rotation.

Woodruff, Davies, Houser, and some combo of Nelson, Wade Miley, Lyles, Gio, Peralta, Burnes, etc. I'd rather pay Pomeranz $7-8 million than Hamels, although if we had unlimited resources I'd try for both

Without better starting pitching, I predict we have zero shot at the World Series.

We just HAVE to have better starting pitching, that occasionally at least, can take us through the 7th inning of a ballgame.

Without better starting pitching, I predict we have zero shot at the World Series.

We just HAVE to have better starting pitching, that occasionally at least, can take us through the 7th inning of a ballgame.

I'd say our top 3 fit that description. Of the other options I listed, 5-6 innings would be a fine goal.

Having Pomeranz/Hader/Claudio as lefties coming out of the pen is a true weapon and I really hope they can figure it out with his agent.

If they sign Pomeranz, I'd try to move Claudio. Next year starts rule where relief pitcher has to face 3 hitters or end the inning. Claudio figures to make around $2 million in arby. Between the savings of not having to pay Albers and Jeffress, and what they save by dealing Claudio, they could pay Pomeranz. Three years and $25 million? Heck the Giants are willing to pay Smith the QO of $17.8 million for one year.

3/$24mil, if that can’t get it done we should pass.

Bullpen > Rotation

No reason to put serious effort into the rotation via FA. We can’t afford major difference makers and the prices are astronomical. I think we can piece together a solid rotation without paying FA prices that the better guys command.

So let Pomeranz walk for 1 million? If 3 at 24 million won't get it done, but 3 at 25 million will, it would be asinine to not give him the extra million.

So let Pomeranz walk for 1 million? If 3 at 24 million won't get it done, but 3 at 25 million will, it would be asinine to not give him the extra million.

I wasn’t directly replying to people and their 3/$25mil proposals. Obviously I’d tack on a million or two. Generally speaking drawing the line at $8mil a year. I am pretty much agreeing with those numbers...I just made a logical proposal that was a round number across the board instead of a $8.3333333333mil average.

Are you drawing the line at $25mil? Why not $28mil? Or just $31mil? That’s $2mil a year more...what can we even do with that money anyway? At some point you do have to draw a line and not just add a little more.

Well your willing to go $25M, now $26M gets the job done. Can't we just go another another $1M? ;)

Well your willing to go $25M, now $26M gets the job done. Can't we just go another another $1M? ;)

that's when you hope he's signing in a higher cost of living or tax state, and hope you can convince him that take home pay is more important than gross pay

There are only nine teams that reside in a state with higher state income taxes than Wisconsin (five of them inside California). Property taxes are also very high. That being said we do have great weather.

I assume if the player plans, they "reside" in a tax friendly state. That way they are only paying Wis tax on the 81 home games and then whatever the state tax is where they play away games. I would assume that works.

There are only nine teams that reside in a state with higher state income taxes than Wisconsin (five of them inside California). Property taxes are also very high. That being said we do have great weather.

I assume if the player plans, they "reside" in a tax friendly state. That way they are only paying Wis tax on the 81 home games and then whatever the state tax is where they play away games. I would assume that works.

I believe it's where they earn their income, so WI would get taxes on the income made for the 81 games played there (plus home playoffs). Every other state in which he played would get income for the games played there, and the neutral state in which he resides would get taxes for income made while there, which may include a pro-rated portion of his ancillary revenues (shoe deal, commercials, etc.) but not for his baseball salary. I could be wrong on this, I'm not a CPA.

Regardless, I agree with the previous poster who said that Pomeranz pitched himself out of Milwaukee's price range. We have a lot of holes to fill, and I don't think that him - at the contract he'll probably receive - is going to be the best use of their funds.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Don't forget the other part...cost of living is radically different in NYC, LA, SF, etc than Milwaukee. Heck, it's no wonder the entire league doesn't live in AZ instead of like half.

Archived