Brewer Fanatic

Hiura/Grisham for Lindor

mtrebs

Lindor is an incredible talent. Giving up 5 years of Hiura for 2 of Lindor would be tough to do though...

Especially considering we would be unable to resign him after those 2 years.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Lindor is an incredible talent. Giving up 5 years of Hiura for 2 of Lindor would be tough to do though...

Especially considering we would be unable to resign him after those 2 years.

Yep. It'd be different if we had a budget similar to Washington, let alone the Red Sox. The Brewers just can't afford to do stuff like that.

If we had a home grown pitching staff like the Dodgers and needed Lindor as the final piece of the puzzle for a 2 year window, that'd be different too

But we...just...don't

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewers have 6 more years of Hiura. I think it would be an awful trade for Milwaukee. Hiura doesn't have enough of an MLB track record to do a WAR calculation, but putting him on the top prospects list and he'd have to be no worse than top 15 after his MLB showing. I'd put the his surplus value at a minimum of 78.7 million, and that's the low end.

Average Lindor bWAR/fWAR over the last 3 years is just a shade under 6. So 12 WAR for 2 years * 9 million per WAR = 108 million in total value - 16.7 million salary in 2020 (estimated) - 24 million in salary in 2021 (estimated) = 67.3 million in surplus value.

I have Hiura alone having about approximately 10 million more in surplus value than Lindor.

Can't say no fast enough.

Agreed - I'd love to trade for Lindor, but Hiura is not part of that deal. Grisham sure, throw in Arcia if the Indians are at all interested in a SS filler at the mlb level, then add pitching or one of the catcher prospects in the low to mid minors until the Indians say yes.

Hiura has the potential to be a more valuable player than Lindor in 2020, plus he will be making league minimum while Lindor is pushing arbitration raises in a big way.

If no Hiura in the return package, then don't bother calling about Lindor...

Its the simple aspect of trades - each side has to get something of value/ something they want in return.

Ask yourself - IF the Brewers want Lindor, why would Cleveland part with Lindor in a trade to Milwaukee? What is Cleveland getting out of it??

Reducing Cleveland's payroll..... its already been done. If Cleveland needed to reduce further, they would have passed on the option for Kluber in 2020. Tribe already declined the option on Kipnis ($14M in savings) and their current payroll (assuming arbitration projections are correct & no other signings happen ) is about $20M under the 2019 payroll. Don't discount the Cleveland deal of Bauer in July. It freed up over $15M in salary for 2020, especially with Puig being a free agent.

A young shortstop for a few years from now... They already have multiple options (planning for 2022 & beyond). BTW - it can be argued that Tyler Freeman (in the same leagues last season Brice Turang) is a better prospect than Turang.

Like it or not the Brewers have one of the weakest farm systems in baseball so it lacks other highly rated options to offer instead of Hiura.

I respect the Brewer fans wanting one of the best shortstops (& overall better players) in the game, but sometimes there is not a match.

Agreed - I'd love to trade for Lindor, but Hiura is not part of that deal. Grisham sure, throw in Arcia if the Indians are at all interested in a SS filler at the mlb level, then add pitching or one of the catcher prospects in the low to mid minors until the Indians say yes.

Hiura has the potential to be a more valuable player than Lindor in 2020, plus he will be making league minimum while Lindor is pushing arbitration raises in a big way.

Unless the pitching you're adding is Brandon Woodruff, there is no point in this scenario where the Indians are saying yes. We simply don't have the prospects. You're not getting Francisco Lindor for Grisham+Arcia plus some throw ins.

Unless the pitching you're adding is Brandon Woodruff, there is no point in this scenario where the Indians are saying yes. We simply don't have the prospects. You're not getting Francisco Lindor for Grisham+Arcia plus some throw ins.

There are talented arms at the lower levels of the brewer system that arent throw ins. Burnes IMO still carries value if he isnt the centerpiece of a deal. I agree they would be hard pressed to make a deal work given the current state of their system, but I guess my main point is that I wouldn't do a hiura for lindor 1 for 1 trade at this point if I was Stearns, so move on and look for other options at SS - which could easily include keeping arcia there and addressing other areas of need on the roster

Hiura had 2.1BWar in 84gms last season and 19HRs. It's a big time nope. Far more valuable alone than Lindor is, based on control&payroll. Give Hiura 700+ABs and hes easily over 40HRs based on last season. That would be more than Lindor. And considering Hiura's Ks this season as a rookie, Id venture he improves on that making his stats even better.

The Indians couldn't say yes fast enough to Hiura for Lindor.

Archived