Brewer Fanatic

Cole Hamels

Jopal78
“I can do one year here and there and just play as long as I can play". “I think that’s what will help give me an opportunity to play on teams that are trying to go to the postseason. If you need one guy, I can just kind of bounce around.”
--Cole Hamels

With that quote made to an MLB writer, I hope Stearns has Hamels near the top of his list. It is not very often that quality starting pitchers are willing to take a short term commitment. While he didn't pitch very well following his oblique injury, his numbers in 2019 (1.39 WHIP, 4.09 FIP and 9.1 K:9) would have topped all the Brewers regular starters but for Woodruff. A 3.0 WAR starting pitcher last year in Chicago would also have placed him right behind Woodruff. Hamels on a one year deal still would be a better option than Lyles, Gio etc.

The real question, can Brewer fans move on from his "this isn't a rivalry with so many Cubs fans at Miller Park" comment from a couple of years ago?

In all seriousness though - I would absolutely take a flyer on a 1-yr deal with Hamels. You know he's going to want to play on a competitive team that has a shot at the playoffs, and he'd have to know that the Brewers could really use another SP in the rotation next year. I see that MLBTradeRumors has him projected to the Braves at 2 yrs/30M. If so, that seems a bit too steep for the Brewers to pay for a 36 year old SP. If the market doesn't open up for him on a multi-year deal, I wonder what he might accept on a 1 year offer?

Would he see the Brewers as a legitimate contender? If a team like the Braves is interested that is closer to a sure bet for a postseason run.

Well, he got a first hand view of us beating the Cubs two years ago for the division (and then getting to game 7 of the NLCS), and knocking them out of the playoffs this past season to secure the final WC spot. So, I guess I don't see why he wouldn't see us as a contender.

Yeah, the Braves are probably in a slightly better spot than the Brewers in that category - but you also have teams like the Braves, Nats and Mets in that division who are going to make it very difficult to win that division over the next couple of years.

Would he see the Brewers as a legitimate contender? If a team like the Braves is interested that is closer to a sure bet for a postseason run.

I think Hamels will be too expensive at $20M. With so many needs (1B-SS-possibly C & 3B) the Crew can't afford to throw that kind of money at a rental.

I think Hamels will be too expensive at $20M. With so many needs (1B-SS-possibly C & 3B) the Crew can't afford to throw that kind of money at a rental.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t see Hamels getting that kind of contract as a free agent.

Yeah, the ONLY way I'm interested in a guy like Hamels is if the market just doesn't open up for him like he would hope and he'd be willing to take a 1 year deal. I don't think I'd invest more in a 36 year old arm than that. If we could get him for 1 year, 10M - then I'd probably take a chance on him. I mean, is someone really going to throw multiple years and big money at him at this stage in his career? Especially as teams are getting tighter and wiser with their money?

Archived