Brewer Fanatic

Hader Super Two, eligible for arby this year

monty57
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta feel for Hader, he is like an elite RB...but the MLB version. Dudes arm may fall off before he ever sees free agency and make less in his entire career than he could in one year if he was a free agent right now.

I'm thinking his arm should be fine since he gets lots of rest and only throws one pitch.

Gotta feel for Hader, he is like an elite RB...but the MLB version. Dudes arm may fall off before he ever sees free agency and make less in his entire career than he could in one year if he was a free agent right now.

I'm thinking his arm should be fine since he gets lots of rest and only throws one pitch.

You hear managers taking sides in arbitration rulings often? That's professional? If he's choosing sides, yeah, then tell Attanasio to pay him, offer him a longer term contract. Otherwise, stick to the script, zip it, and make it a non issue.

I think most people are viewing it exactly as that ... a non-issue.

Not Hader and not the Brewers GM, IMO. The idea of going to arby three times with him in the future likely brings about a long term deal or trade.

Look, this thing just isn't this big deal that you're making it out to be. Numerous guys go to arbitration hearings every year. They all wanted to win their hearings. Most aren't as highly publicized as this because they're not Josh Hader. Could you name a single guy who lost a hearing last year, without looking it up? Probably not, because in almost every instance it's a total non-issue and doesn't lead to a departure or broken relationship.

Josh Hader might be traded at some point. He might be signed to a multi-year contract, or one year contract to avoid arbitration next year or the next couple years or more. Or he might go to arbitration again. None of those outcomes would be surprising.

You hear managers taking sides in arbitration rulings often? That's professional? If he's choosing sides, yeah, then tell Attanasio to pay him, offer him a longer term contract. Otherwise, stick to the script, zip it, and make it a non issue.

I think most people are viewing it exactly as that ... a non-issue.

Not Hader and not the Brewers GM, IMO. The idea of going to arby three times with him in the future likely brings about a long term deal or trade.

Look, this thing just isn't this big deal that you're making it out to be. Numerous guys go to arbitration hearings every year. They all wanted to win their hearings. Most aren't as highly publicized as this because they're not Josh Hader. Could you name a single guy who lost a hearing last year, without looking it up? Probably not, because in almost every instance it's a total non-issue and doesn't lead to a departure or broken relationship.

Josh Hader might be traded at some point. He might be signed to a multi-year contract, or one year contract to avoid arbitration next year or the next couple years or more. Or he might go to arbitration again. None of those outcomes would be surprising.

According to Ken Rosenthal in The Athletic, the Brewers referenced the tweets Hader made as a 17-year-old as part of their case. I suppose it is to be expected, as they are trying to do what they can to win the case, but you have to wonder if it will have a negative impact on the relationship going forward.

"Maybe not – the club side mentioned Hader’s racist, homophobic, misogynistic and threatening tweets from when he was 17, sources said."

https://theathletic.com/1624606/2020/02/21/rosenthal-flawed-arbitration-system-doesnt-always-reflect-actual-player-value/

The entire section on Hader, for those who don't subscribe with the part from IIAY in bold:

Hader

Yankees reliever Zack Britton, a starter turned closer turned set-up man, put it bluntly.

“Hader got screwed because of saves only,” Britton said.

Maybe not – the club side mentioned Hader’s racist, homophobic, misogynistic and threatening tweets from when he was 17, sources said. (Brewers GM David Stearns did not attend the hearing, even though it took place not far from the team’s training complex in Phoenix; others argued the case.)

“Public appeal” is one of the criteria in arbitration, but the tweets were not the crux of the Brewers’ case. The team, after all, hosted a sold-out Hader bobblehead night in 2019.

No, the primary issue was indeed saves.

The argument for Hader was simple. Of the more than 3,700 pitchers in major-league history (minimum 200 innings), he is the only one to accomplish each of the following: An opponents’ batting average below .150; a WHIP (walks and hits per innings pitched) below .850; a ratio of better than 15 strikeouts per nine innings.

“Hader is the best reliever in baseball, and he should have been paid like it,” Berry said. “The Brewers know it. Their GM and manager have repeatedly said it. There is not a single executive in the game today who values or cares about saves over high-leverage outs. Not a single one.”

Fans might find it curious that Edwin Díaz, who, like Hader, was a first-time eligible reliever, will earn $1 million more than Hader after settling with the Mets at $5.1 million. But while Díaz had a 5.59 ERA last season, his ERA in 2018 was 1.96, and he has a major-league-leading 83 saves the past two years.

Still, you don’t have to be Brian Kenny, MLB Network’s leading advocate of sabermetric thinking, to understand saves are hardly an end-all, be-all, metric.

“What if you play on a really good team?” Britton asked. “You’re going to get a lot more saves than a guy who doesn’t play on a good team.

“It doesn’t mean you’re more valuable. It’s just the situations you were put in. I had great set-up guys in front of me in Baltimore and racked up a ton of saves. The year I was 47-for-47 (2016), go look at Darren O’Day’s and Brad Brach’s numbers in front of me. There’s a reason why I was able to do that.

“With Hader, the way they’re using him, he’s so much more valuable than a guy who just gets saves.”

According to Ken Rosenthal in The Athletic, the Brewers referenced the tweets Hader made as a 17-year-old as part of their case. I suppose it is to be expected, as they are trying to do what they can to win the case, but you have to wonder if it will have a negative impact on the relationship going forward.

"Maybe not – the club side mentioned Hader’s racist, homophobic, misogynistic and threatening tweets from when he was 17, sources said."

https://theathletic.com/1624606/2020/02/21/rosenthal-flawed-arbitration-system-doesnt-always-reflect-actual-player-value/

So freaking stupid... Very asinine to open that wound again since it seemed to have disappeared relatively quickly.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

So freaking stupid... Very asinine to open that wound again since it seemed to have disappeared relatively quickly.

Non issue, huh? It really should be a non issue, like all the large majority of the arby cases. It doesn't appear that way, though

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Non issue, huh? It really should be a non issue, like all the large majority of the arby cases. It doesn't appear that way, though

It could have been a major sticking point or it could have been bullet point 58 out of 316.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived