Brewer Fanatic

Hader Super Two, eligible for arby this year

monty57

Ken Giles was traded with 5 years of control and two were going to cost pennies. Hader gives you 4 years of control and is going to be expensive from day one. The Super-Two announcement knocks an incredible amount of surplus value off. Probably in the neighborhood of $12mil+ that the fourth year will cost. Of course that is if he is even elite at that point. Other teams aren't dumb either. They watched Hader this year and they know how fickle a relief pitcher is.

Generally speaking Hader is not worth the mega prospects people are wishing for. Could some team desperately decide they need an elite reliever, maybe, but I would not hope too hard for that. The only thing going for the Brewers is the fact there is essentially no way to get a Hader without trading for one. I would guess most offers for Hader would be real underwhelming to the masses. You just need one team to get desperate though.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ken Giles was traded with 5 years of control and two were going to cost pennies. Hader gives you 4 years of control and is going to be expensive from day one. The Super-Two announcement knocks an incredible amount of surplus value off. Probably in the neighborhood of $12mil+ that the fourth year will cost. Of course that is if he is even elite at that point. Other teams aren't dumb either. They watched Hader this year and they know how fickle a relief pitcher is.

Generally speaking Hader is not worth the mega prospects people are wishing for. Could some team desperately decide they need an elite reliever, maybe, but I would not hope too hard for that. The only thing going for the Brewers is the fact there is essentially no way to get a Hader without trading for one. I would guess most offers for Hader would be real underwhelming to the masses. You just need one team to get desperate though.

Yep. That's why I'm inclined to not even dangle him. If a team comes to you with a strong package, you listen. But I'm not taking any offer that is constituted with a bunch of 19-year-old A ballers very seriously. His Super 2 status is a blow to his value, but the Brewers still hold all the cards, and by no means do they have to deal him.

• 2 months later...

Apparently he wants to top the $6.25 that Papelbon got as a 1st year arby in 2009. That's the record, and hard to believe it hasn't been topped in 10 years.

He is used in a unique way, and has been effective at a very high rate. I have a hard time seeing him not winning his case.

Apparently he wants to top the $6.25 that Papelbon got as a 1st year arby in 2009. That's the record, and hard to believe it hasn't been topped in 10 years.

He is used in a unique way, and has been effective at a very high rate. I have a hard time seeing him not winning his case.

Papelbon didn't get super 2.

Papelbon had 1 more AS game under his belt.

Papelbon was a closer from the jump and we all know how arby over valued saves back then.

He probably wins because MKE had him closing games last year. Knebel injury hits MKE again.

Papelbon didn't get super 2.

Papelbon had 1 more AS game under his belt.

Papelbon was a closer from the jump and we all know how arby over valued saves back then.

He probably wins because MKE had him closing games last year. Knebel injury hits MKE again.

josh hader is heading to arbitration.

Cue the East Coast media reports that "the Brewers are desperate to trade Hader because they can't afford to keep him"... :rolleyes

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

josh hader is heading to arbitration.

Cue the East Coast media reports that "the Brewers are desperate to trade Hader because they can't afford to keep him"... :rolleyes

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Don't these usually end on a meet it some side of half way? The estimate MLBTR has on Hader is 4.6mil. So based on a the two proposed that's 10.5mil on average. So a 5mil -5.2mil settle then?

Hader's side may have over priced themselves. Losing Arb would have a huge impact moving forward, so when the Brewers come up towards 5mil Hader's trajectory from 5mil vs 4.1mil is going to be a nice chunk of change.

If they do go all the way to Arbitration decision and Hader wins 6.4mil. He's gone after this season 100% if not before this season begins.

I do have to say that Mike Trout when signing a contract his first year to arb(not Super 2) the Angels paid him just over 6mil but less than 6.4mil that season. Sure he got paid 16 and 20mil the following 2 seasons, but let's look at it like this. Everyday HOF player vs RP of the year quality. MLB would be awarding Hader a higher payday than Trout as similar stages in their career.

Now thinking about that. I think Milw/Hader would settle at 4.75 to 5mil vs a 5.2mil max.

Don't these usually end on a meet it some side of half way? The estimate MLBTR has on Hader is 4.6mil. So based on a the two proposed that's 10.5mil on average. So a 5mil -5.2mil settle then?

Hader's side may have over priced themselves. Losing Arb would have a huge impact moving forward, so when the Brewers come up towards 5mil Hader's trajectory from 5mil vs 4.1mil is going to be a nice chunk of change.

If they do go all the way to Arbitration decision and Hader wins 6.4mil. He's gone after this season 100% if not before this season begins.

I do have to say that Mike Trout when signing a contract his first year to arb(not Super 2) the Angels paid him just over 6mil but less than 6.4mil that season. Sure he got paid 16 and 20mil the following 2 seasons, but let's look at it like this. Everyday HOF player vs RP of the year quality. MLB would be awarding Hader a higher payday than Trout as similar stages in their career.

Now thinking about that. I think Milw/Hader would settle at 4.75 to 5mil vs a 5.2mil max.

Anyone know when the hearing will take place?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/2020-arbitration-filing-numbers.html

Puts a date range in as beginning to mid February

They can still come to an agreed deal. Mlbtr has another story on Arb. Says Brent Suter are more than 50% apart like Hader. I think it says about 50% were settled last season and the rest went 8-7 teams to players.

Betances had a larger spread than Hader or Suter currently do and lost previously.

They can still come to an agreed deal. Mlbtr has another story on Arb. Says Brent Suter are more than 50% apart like Hader. I think it says about 50% were settled last season and the rest went 8-7 teams to players.

Betances had a larger spread than Hader or Suter currently do and lost previously.

There are some large differences in that link but there are a few head scratchers as to why they couldn't compromise. Case in point Jose Berrios and the Twins. They are in arbitration 4.025 mil vs 4.4 mil

Archived