Brewer Fanatic

First Baseman for 2020

Bombers
While the Brewers did not pick up his option for $7.5 million, it's still possible Eric Thames could come back.

I'd be fine with that assuming no significant upgrade is out there to be had.

Didnt like not bringing him back. Would love to have him on the team. If they get him for less than 7.5 then well done Stearns. That would really leave 3b as the only hole on offense. OF is set. 2b, SS and utility IF are set. Catcher seems set. Get Thames, a 3b, and right handed bench bat and I am happy with our offense

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will jump on the Cron boat. Dude has mashed lefties the last two years. Paired with Thames, yah, makes quite a bit of sense. Probably a .900 OPS production duo at 1B. Defense? Shhhhhh

Cron is so one dimensional is he worth a roster spot? Because he's such a weak defender he is bacically a DH, and then against lefties only. Considering the Brewers have a little less than 1/4 of their ABs against lefties, I'd like to see a more versatile player who is a good glove and could be used as a PH against both lefties and righties.

In 3852 career innings at 1B, Cron has a -0.7 UZR/150 and average-ish DRS numbers. Not sure where the notion that he is a horrible defender comes from?? That would be the best defensive 1B we've had in years. Last season Minnesota had him start 113 games and only 3 at DH.

Why focus solely on Cron, when Encarnacion is out there and likely available on a one year deal?

According to reports yesterday, there was a National League team that showed interest in Encarnacion, but he has apparently told teams that he only wants to play in the AL. I'm assuming that he's only interested in being a DH.

I was running through guys who can play both 1B/3B and bat lefty. Not a ton of options out there but it led me to Asdrubal Cabrera as seeming like the most logical right now. Switch hitter who can play any IF position, played a bunch of 3B last year. Main issue I see though is he's better as a righty hitter, but not a brutal drop or anything. He's old though so I bet he's holding out for a 2 year deal which would make me hesitate.

Heyman says we looked into Encarnacion

EE came out a few weeks ago and said he'd only want to play for an AL team. I'm thinking the Brewers might have leaked this to gain leverage for a FA or trade. Hopefully for a trade as no one on the FA market really excites me at 1B

In 3852 career innings at 1B, Cron has a -0.7 UZR/150 and average-ish DRS numbers. Not sure where the notion that he is a horrible defender comes from?? That would be the best defensive 1B we've had in years. Last season Minnesota had him start 113 games and only 3 at DH.

This is completely anecdotal but a lot of Twins fans I know were wowed by his defense last year. But that likely is due to him making some great scoops that wowed the average fan. I'm sure he evened that out by missing some gettable grounders by being a slightly lumbering guy.

Either way, I agree, he's not bad.

To me it almost seems logical that we bring back Thames and platoon him with Braun at 1B. I actually think that would be a pretty solid platoon - similar to what we had with Thames and Aggie. The fact of the matter is - Thames put up better numbers than many of the remaining 1B on the market right now (i.e. Cron, Smoak, etc.), so we might as well make a run at bringing him back at a bit of a cheaper price than what we would have had to pay him under his old deal.

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

Brewers are close to a deal with a Justin Smoak, solving their 1B issue

I don't know how I feel about this. I like Thames better as a platoon bat.

I like Thames better too, but I think it's pretty clear Stearns is trying to get away from such a strikeout prone team. Urias, Garcia, Sogard, and Smoak do not strike out a ton compared to who they are replacing.

Archived