Brewer Fanatic

First Baseman for 2020

Bombers
I'd be willing to take on Brandon Belt's contract if the Giants are willing to give him away. More upside than almost any other option available, and his mediocre 2019 seems like it may have been largely BABIP driven.

His production has dropped each of the last 3 years and he missed a lot of time in 17-18. He’s also not a good OF and doesn’t provide a lot of power for the position or for his salary. There are cheaper options

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For reference, here are some comparisons of the 1B/DH available in FA (plus our internal options... Braun and Shaw??)

2018-19 Overall:

WfWa8w1.png

2018-19 vs RHP:

gpT8yUe.png

2018-19 vs LHP:

TNfYX1U.png

Relevant MLBTR Predictions (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2020.html):

8. Nicholas Castellanos – White Sox. Four years, $58MM.

30. Howie Kendrick – Twins. Two years, $12MM.

38. Edwin Encarnacion – Rays. One year, $8MM.

Howie Kendrick could be a really nice, versatile piece to add for a couple years at a reasonable price because of his age.

For reference, here are some comparisons of the 1B/DH available in FA (plus our internal options... Braun and Shaw??)

2018-19 Overall:

WfWa8w1.png

2018-19 vs RHP:

gpT8yUe.png

2018-19 vs LHP:

TNfYX1U.png

Relevant MLBTR Predictions (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2020.html):

8. Nicholas Castellanos – White Sox. Four years, $58MM.

30. Howie Kendrick – Twins. Two years, $12MM.

38. Edwin Encarnacion – Rays. One year, $8MM.

Howie Kendrick could be a really nice, versatile piece to add for a couple years at a reasonable price because of his age.

I think Howie Kendrick is my top target bat this offseason. He’s a guy that could be had for a one or two year deal, most likely at or under $10 million, and you get a guy that doesn’t strikeout much and is a great middle of the order bat. Doesn’t have a ton of pop, but does everything else well. With Urias brought in and adding a guy like Kendrick, the only real holes left on the roster are third base on the hitting side and the rest of the money could be poured into the rotation and bullpen. If Kendrick and Moose are brought in, we are looking at a very good lineup.

Cain/Urias

Hiura

Yelich

Kendrick

Moose

Braun

Urias/Cain

Pina

P

If you could get those two for ~$22 million or so, the rest of the $20-$35 million (depending on tender/non-tender decisions) could be put toward pitching. That leaves a lot of room to bring in 2 solid rotation arms as well as a bullpen piece.

how about.....arcia..ray....lutz….burnes and henry for mancini and bundy

That is a quick no from the Orioles. Rumors of the price for Mancini are at least one top 30 prospect plus more. So you are going to have to pay about the same price as what Yelich cost a few years ago.

how about.....arcia..ray....lutz….burnes and henry for mancini and bundy

That is a quick no from the Orioles. Rumors of the price for Mancini are at least one top 30 prospect plus more. So you are going to have to pay about the same price as what Yelich cost a few years ago.

Well sure that may be their public stance, but Mancini is not even close in value to even the Miami version of Yelich. Pre-2019 Arcia probably would have been a competitive offer, but now Arcia is actually starting to make money so doesn't fit the Orioles as a buy-low candidate.

Sign Moreland and Cron and let them platoon.

Other option would be to trade a low level prospect for Dominic Smith and Jed Lowrie's salary. Lowrie could then be given a shot at the 3b job this spring and if he's not up to it health wise, then deal for help at 3B.

Sign Moreland and Cron and let them platoon.

Other option would be to trade a low level prospect for Dominic Smith and Jed Lowrie's salary. Lowrie could then be given a shot at the 3b job this spring and if he's not up to it health wise, then deal for help at 3B.

I'd love to see Stearns get Lowrie and Smith for a low level prospect or two in a salary dump by the Mets. I think the Brewers would have Lowrie cleared by medical staff before the trade. He could fill 3B with Smith at 1B. Two huge holes filled for little in return.

Howie Kendrick off the board. Just resigned with the Nats.

For pretty cheap too. I get he’s rather go back to the Nats but I’d think the brewers would offer 8 million or so

He apparently turned down several 2-year deals. Wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers had interest at that level. But the guy is coming off a pretty magical season with the Nats, and has made a lot of money in his career. So I get going back to where there is some comfort level.

This is the guy I'd make an attempt at signing if the price was reasonable. There is risk, which is going to be the case with all of our bargain basement signings...

We are a perfect fit for a guy like this.

Greg Bird has elected to become a free agent.

Bird was designated for assignment by the Yankees last week and passed through waivers unclaimed. The 27-year-old first baseman carries serious durability concerns, but he's flashed impressive power when healthy and could potentially land with a team that will allow him a path to a regular role in 2020.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

Nov 27, 2019, 1:34 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'd be willing to take a chance on Bird. I don't see a big difference between him and Dominic Smith, for example, if we want to go with a risky 1B option. And Bird is basically free.

Why not get both since Smith can still be optioned and Bird will likely have to settle for a minor league deal with invite to ST. Best case both play well and you have a power bat on your bench. Worst case both struggle and we are out a lower level prospect, some payroll space for taking on Lowrie and whatever it cost to trade for a Smoak/Cron/Moreland type of player before the trade deadline.

I think we see Braun and a Thames reunion

Considering the guys who've jumped ship, I don't think a Thames return is likely though it's possible but I'm guessing he's looking for a 2 year deal in the $12-15 million range. The Thames/Braun scenario only means they'll have to spend and get an outfielder, and paying Thames might preclude them from a guy like Castellanos.

If they got Castellanos, they'd want to pair the cheaper Smith with Braun at 1B.

Archived