Brewer Fanatic

First Baseman for 2020

Bombers
Could see Justin Smoak in the mix. Would love if Stearns could figure out how to nab Dominic Smith from the Mets though. That’d give them 3/4’s of an infield that would be young and controlled with Smith-Hiura-Urias.

Smoak is not in the mix for Milwaukee. Thames was better across the board and cheaper and they let him go. Smith would be desirable but at what cost? He would be a nice find at 1B.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justin Smoak is in fact very in the mix. Very much so that the organization would be surprised if he isn’t at first this year. Logan Morrison is option B.

The organization also strongly believes robot umpires will be implemented within 2 years which is why they did not match the White Sox offer for Grandal (pitch frame value)

Justin Smoak is in fact very in the mix. Very much so that the organization would be surprised if he isn’t at first this year. Logan Morrison is option B.

The organization also strongly believes robot umpires will be implemented within 2 years which is why they did not match the White Sox offer for Grandal (pitch frame value)

:laughing what other information do you have?

Nothing too exciting, San Diego called about Davies first and talks progressed around 2 weeks ago.

Grandal gave the Brewers the option to match and they didn’t for the reason stated above. Still talking to Moose, looking at Smoak and Morrison for first.

Do not know much on pitching front.

Nothing too exciting, San Diego called about Davies first and talks progressed around 2 weeks ago.

Grandal gave the Brewers the option to match and they didn’t for the reason stated above. Still talking to Moose, looking at Smoak and Morrison for first.

Do not know much on pitching front.

Sox site reported Grandal said the Sox were one of 5 teams he was talking to. None were the Brewers.

Sox site reported Grandal said the Sox were one of 5 teams he was talking to. None were the Brewers.

They never offered him anything. They never considered offering him a contract unless it was a similar situation to last year. He wanted to stay long term though- loved Mke.

Anyone else wonder if this is another account by the infamous HighHeat19???

This is why I’m not feeding into this. Or the guy that said he had a feeling about a Padres trade. We all have random feelings for possible trades between teams and can all state things about a team or players. Just because something happens a week later doesn’t mean people actually have information. Not saying the guy that mentioned the Padres trade doesn’t have information, but falling into that trap here that people did before leads to a lot of nonsense. If he has information, awesome! I hope he comes out and states that he does and can provide some insight once in a while. But people aren’t going to have much in-depth information on what they are doing. And if they are sharing it anywhere, the organization will weed people out.

Really? The organization will be shocked to not have Smoak at first? Even though he’s a free agent currently and can sign with whoever he wants, but the Brewers are confident he’s coming here? Plus, you already know their plan B option? And the details of the Grandal contract and Stearns’ exact reason why he didn’t want to match it? I mean come on. We don’t need this crap around here again. People shouldn’t even feed into this.

This is why I’m not feeding into this. Or the guy that said he had a feeling about a Padres trade. We all have random feelings for possible trades between teams and can all state things about a team or players. Just because something happens a week later doesn’t mean people actually have information. Not saying the guy that mentioned the Padres trade doesn’t have information, but falling into that trap here that people did before leads to a lot of nonsense. If he has information, awesome! I hope he comes out and states that he does and can provide some insight once in a while. But people aren’t going to have much in-depth information on what they are doing. And if they are sharing it anywhere, the organization will weed people out.

Really? The organization will be shocked to not have Smoak at first? Even though he’s a free agent currently and can sign with whoever he wants, but the Brewers are confident he’s coming here? Plus, you already know their plan B option? And the details of the Grandal contract and Stearns’ exact reason why he didn’t want to match it? I mean come on. We don’t need this crap around here again. People shouldn’t even feed into this.

I’m not asking for anyone to feed into this and I was on this board (not active) when Highheat was a poster. Most of my posts have been complaining about the moves stearns made the last 2 deadlines and both times I ate crow. I don’t expect or really care if you want to believe me or not.

Of course things change in the offseason all the time. San Diego came out of nowhere and asked about Davies and look at the end result. I can say with 100% confidence the organization strongly believes if the electronic umping that will start being implemented in the minors (this upcoming 2020) season is a success, that the Brewers feel it could realistically be in the majors as soon as 2021 or 2022. That would de value the last half of Grandal’s contract significantly for a team with no DH.

I can also tell you as of right now, the ideal plan for first is to bring in Smoak and they’ve discussed Logan Morrison as a 1b/ outfield platoon.

I’m not posting here to troll and get anyone’s hopes up, because quite frankly, none of these moves are really that exciting. I have not heard of anything on the starting pitching front.

As always, treat any 'inside information' both cautiously and courteously. Some of the higher-ups here have ways of eventually verifying whether stuff is legit or not, but until then, treat everything for what it is- unverifiable info posted by someone on a message board.

Smoak is both strange and interesting. Strange because he seems to be below-average defensively, but interesting because his career BABIP is .266 and posted an unusually low .223 last year, suggesting a rebound from his 2019 numbers, and because he has a pretty good K/BB ratio (21% K rate, 16% walk rate last year). I don't think he'll get anywhere near the $8M he got last year, so he could be a bargain.

Someone convince me that he is a good defensive 1B.

As always, treat any 'inside information' both cautiously and courteously. Some of the higher-ups here have ways of eventually verifying whether stuff is legit or not, but until then, treat everything for what it is- unverifiable info posted by someone on a message board.

I know some of you guys have legit information. Is there a way that once the higher ups here gain the knowledge on these discussions, that they can come back and make a post to verify or debunk these posts that are mostly stated as fact so the other posters here can have an idea of who is actually providing legit information and not just trolling to stir the pot? Maybe even create a designated thread with your findings on certain posters?

I think it would be extremely helpful to have you guys find out and come back and let people know if information is true or fabricated from certain posters. And hopefully if people are stating things as fact and are just making stuff up, that they quickly find themselves out the door.

I think it would be extremely helpful to have you guys find out and come back and let people know if information is true or fabricated from certain posters. And hopefully if people are stating things as fact and are just making stuff up, that they quickly find themselves out the door.

Typically, the person just doesn't get to post here anymore.

Typically, the person just doesn't get to post here anymore.

Fair enough, thank you.

Smoak is very interesting to me, because you can interpret his down 2019 season as being largely BABIP driven, but otherwise his peripherals suggest he may have been in line for a return is his excellent 2017 season. He actually had the highest Hard hit % of his career last season.

Taking a risk on a Smoak signing panning out is probably our best realistic route for getting a .370 wOBA type hitter at 1B.

Thames is solid and I like Thames, but I think they are not interested in bringing Thames back because he is a true platoon bat, and needing to use two spots for 1B drastically cuts down on roster flexibility that the front office prizes.

If Logan Morrison is playing meaningful innings for the Brewers in 2020 at least I can take solace in the fact that it undoubtedly means they built the ultimate “Stars and Scrubs” roster by spending all of their money on some extremely pricey contracts via trades and free agency in the offseason.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Hopefully would be nothing more than a minor league deal with a st invite for Morrison. With a few other options in play as well.

Completely unimportant, but I live in Justin Smoak's hometown, and briefly lived in (one of) Morrison's.

Who would it take to get Dom Smith?

The problem is that the Mets - I think - would probably want someone either in the majors or major league ready. One of the better match ups was Trent Grisham, but that ship has sailed.

Perhaps they'd be happy with a prospect. Who would work? Corey Ray? Feliciano?

Just wondering what people might think would work.

I could see a Dom Smith for Peralta deal making sense for both sides.

That sounds right. They need to replace Wheeler, and could use some more arms in the pen. They're also still looking for a good defensive CF who bats right-handed, taking another stab at it after that Broxton deal bombed for them last winter. With Conforto, Nimmo and McNeil on the roster, don't know that they would've had much interest in Grisham, unless one of those guys was used in another deal. But moot now.

I'd be willing to take on Brandon Belt's contract if the Giants are willing to give him away. More upside than almost any other option available, and his mediocre 2019 seems like it may have been largely BABIP driven.

I'd be willing to take on Brandon Belt's contract if the Giants are willing to give him away. More upside than almost any other option available, and his mediocre 2019 seems like it may have been largely BABIP driven.

I think I would pass on Belt for several reasons. First, he is owed $34.4M over the next two years and the Giants would have to eat at least $22M of that to make him even interesting. Second they let Thames go and he was more productive at a much lower price than Belt. I'd rather bring Thames back at a reduced price than deal for Belt.

Archived