Brewer Fanatic

First Baseman for 2020

Bombers
Roberto Ramos would be an interesting prospect to platoon with Braun. Free agent-wise, unless you are going Howie K., you are probably talking someone like Adams, Thames, or maybe a surprise like Kipnis?

I've been a fan of the "dirt dog" for years. Kipnis moving over to 1B would be a stunning development..

I guess it would depend on how big a cut Kipnis would take after making $14M last year. He is a .245/.310 type hitter with some power. Thames was better, so Kipnis would have to take a drastic cut to be affordable to the Brewers. The thing that scares me about Ramos was he played in the PCL so the numbers are inflated quite a bit. However he had a great year by any measure. The big question: Why didn't the Rockies protect him?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Rays just DFA'd a guy by the name of Jesús Aguilar

Not trying to start an argument, but wouldn't it just make sense to bring back Thames and Aguilar to play 1B? A relatively inexpensive platoon in order to allocate resources to pay Moose and some SP.

I really would have no issue with it if you could bring Jesus back for the minimum and Thames for 4-5M. The 26th man in 2020 should make it easier.

There's a compromise here... they could offer Aguilar a NRI. If he accepts and earns his way onto the team, great. As always, there's a downside - you have to have a plan B in case he doesn't.
"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

This might be out of left field...

If we are saving potentially $40-$50 million with all the moves we are making and potentially making. That would include NOT signing Moose, who I want back. For the sake of argument Urias is 3B, Arcia SS, Keston 2B. Can JD Martinez play 1B? I know he is not a good defender but I could live with that if that if he hits 45+ bombs and 100 + rbis in Miller Park. Boston trying to cut salary. I gotta believe they throw in cash to offset salary. We could always deal him back to AL if we would fall out of contention in next couple years. He more than makes up for the loss of Yaz. Go with a platoon C program with Pina, LH 1B and you could platoon Braunie there and JD in RF. Gamel and and Ray extra OFs. Then you still have money for a couple of good starters. This is a stretch, but fun stuff to talk about. Boy I love hot stove...

Could see Justin Smoak in the mix. Would love if Stearns could figure out how to nab Dominic Smith from the Mets though. That’d give them 3/4’s of an infield that would be young and controlled with Smith-Hiura-Urias.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Could see Justin Smoak in the mix. Would love if Stearns could figure out how to nab Dominic Smith from the Mets though. That’d give them 3/4’s of an infield that would be young and controlled with Smith-Hiura-Urias.

100% this. Add in Moustakas/Donaldson and we have something special.

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Moustakas/Donaldson

Braun

Smith

Urias

Pina

P

Of course we could get another 1B for insurance.

This might be out of left field...

If we are saving potentially $40-$50 million with all the moves we are making and potentially making. That would include NOT signing Moose, who I want back. For the sake of argument Urias is 3B, Arcia SS, Keston 2B. Can JD Martinez play 1B? I know he is not a good defender but I could live with that if that if he hits 45+ bombs and 100 + rbis in Miller Park. Boston trying to cut salary. I gotta believe they throw in cash to offset salary. We could always deal him back to AL if we would fall out of contention in next couple years. He more than makes up for the loss of Yaz. Go with a platoon C program with Pina, LH 1B and you could platoon Braunie there and JD in RF. Gamel and and Ray extra OFs. Then you still have money for a couple of good starters. This is a stretch, but fun stuff to talk about. Boy I love hot stove...

You would have the weakest INF. in all MLB. Getting JD but losing Moose and Thames is a major downgrade to the Crew if Urias plays 3B. They might set a major lg. record for the weakest hitting SS-3B combo ever. Could you imagine Pina-Urias-Arcia as your 6-7-8 hitters? You would also have probably the weakest defensive right side of the INF in modern history.

Gah, should've pulled the Mets into yesterday's deal. Mets really like Manuel Margot. Probably could've gotten Smith and another piece by getting Margot to NY.

And he doesn’t have a spot in New York. Then, if they’re going to keep Shaw, sign Howie Kendrick to platoon at the infield corners and me Hsaw-still-terrible-insurance. Plus he or Smith can spell Braun in LF

I'm a big fan of the idea of trading for Dominic Smith. He really strikes me as a Brewer-type target. Former big time prospect who is blocked at the big league level. Won't be 25 until June. I would love to see this.

Smoak is much less exciting of a target. If given the choice of Smoak as the near full-time 1B, or a platoon of Thames and Braun, I think I'd chose the latter.

Of course, with the trade of Grisham, Braun is likely looking at logging the majority of his time in LF again, at least for now.

He's "pondering retirement" due to back and knee injuries that ruined his 2019 season, so he may not even been available, but Steve Pearce would be an interesting rebound guy on a one-year deal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Who would it take to get Dom Smith?

The problem is that the Mets - I think - would probably want someone either in the majors or major league ready. One of the better match ups was Trent Grisham, but that ship has sailed.

Perhaps they'd be happy with a prospect. Who would work? Corey Ray? Feliciano?

Just wondering what people might think would work.

You know what would make me happy? The Milwaukee Brewers draft a first baseman that makes big league impact...

Yes, in a dream world we draft all of our positions perfectly and we never have to trade or sign anyone. But it’s not realistic.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Who would it take to get Dom Smith?

The problem is that the Mets - I think - would probably want someone either in the majors or major league ready. One of the better match ups was Trent Grisham, but that ship has sailed.

Perhaps they'd be happy with a prospect. Who would work? Corey Ray? Feliciano?

Just wondering what people might think would work.

I could see a Dom Smith for Peralta deal making sense for both sides.

Archived