Brewer Fanatic

First Baseman for 2020

Bombers
Interesting move with Thames today as we do not have a clear option here. Wonder what they will do. Is there a possibility of a major upgrade (Abreau?) or this is just moving pieces to get Grandal back and have him play more 1B? What say you BF.net?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting move with Thames today as we do not have a clear option here. Wonder what they will do. Is there a possibility of a major upgrade (Abreau?) or this is just moving pieces to get Grandal back and have him play more 1B? What say you BF.net?

You don't pay Grandal the likely $20 million per year for 3-4 years he's going to command to be a 1st baseman. That production can be attained much cheaper. He would be signed to be the team's dominant catcher.

Abreu appears to be the best bet on the market for 1st basemen. He is older, though. I suggest Nick Castellanos in another thread, and still like him as a possibility if he'd be willing to be a 1st baseman. I also think that you have to look at Braun seeing major time there, as I have to believe that Grisham is set for a major role on next year's team.

You don't pay Grandal the likely $20 million per year for 3-4 years he's going to command to be a 1st baseman. That production can be attained much cheaper. He would be signed to be the team's dominant catcher.

Abreu appears to be the best bet on the market for 1st basemen. He is older, though. I suggest Nick Castellanos in another thread, and still like him as a possibility if he'd be willing to be a 1st baseman. I also think that you have to look at Braun seeing major time there, as I have to believe that Grisham is set for a major role on next year's team.

The White Sox think they are going to contend next year, so Abreu will not be available. He said he wants to stay in Chicago and the Sox want him back. Cactellanos absolutely refused to play 1B with the Tigers. He wanted to stay in the OF. Maybe money would change his mind, but then C and 3B are glaring holes with no money to fill them and re-sign Pomeranz and Lyles.

The White Sox think they are going to contend next year, so Abreu will not be available. He said he wants to stay in Chicago and the Sox want him back. Cactellanos absolutely refused to play 1B with the Tigers. He wanted to stay in the OF. Maybe money would change his mind, but then C and 3B are glaring holes with no money to fill them and re-sign Pomeranz and Lyles.

Castellanos refused to play 1B because he had just been switched to the OF off of 3B that year, and was not interested in switching to another position again in the course of a few months, as he was worried that the stress of another switch would affect his offense. At least that's what I read today. I imagine the Brewers wouldn't be the only team looking at him as a potential 1B.

Regarding Abreu, if going back to the Sox was a done deal, it would be done by now. The fact that he's a free agent indicates that he's willing to at least consider other offers.

Looking at the FA list, I'm just not seeing a major upgrade over Thames. Castellanos looks great in the batting order, but him and Hiura would be a defensive circus on that side of the infield. A trade? Maybe. A Shaw/Braun platoon? Possible. Grandal? Expensive. How about moving Hiura to 1B?

Honestly, Castellanos wouldn't be a bad option. Yelich in left, Cain in center, Castellanos in right isn't bad... and Grisham becomes the 4th OF, with Braun at first and serving as a backup LF/RF.

The Crew would have to find a trade partner for Ben Gamel, though.

If that doesn't work, then maybe see if they can't get Thames back on a two-year, $10 million deal with a team option for 2022.

Abreu got the QO, I see that as a pretty big road block in us pursuing him

You realize last year we spent nearly $20mil on one year of Grandal, who had a QO, right? It is a negative, but if we actually like Abreu I doubt it is a major roadblock.

I believe in Stearns comments on these moves he specifically said Huira is not changing to 1B. So probably can rule that out and eliminate from discussion.

BAsed on other comments regarding kind of the glut in the market at this position combined with the logic of us being MKE. I would not expect a big name one like Abreu. Plan on a cheaper type guy here. I'd guess a RH as well. But I also want to say Stearns did mention Shaw by name as someone who can cover this spot, so take that FWIW.

In an ideal world this is true, but if we look for cheap options at 1B there will be a decent risk that they flame out a la Aguilar, or they are a platoon guy (Thames). If Grandal is the best bat at 1B, we should probably start him there 40-50 games and start him at catcher 90-110 games. Hopefully he isn't the bast bat at 1B. As you say, it shouldn't be "the plan," but it may very well work out that way.

2019 Thames: .247/.346/.505, 116 wRC+ 11.1% BB, 30.5% K

2019 Abreu: .284/.330/.503, 117 wRC+, 5.2% BB, 21.9% K

If the Brewers didn't bring Thames back, why would they be interested in pursuing Abreu at more than double what Thames salary would have been?

Yeah, Thames isn't good versus LHP, but Abreu had just as big of splits last year between RHP (.777 OPS) and LHP (1.008) as Thames did (.877 vs. RHP, .679 vs RHP), and 70% of pitchers in the league are RH. Every one of the Cardinals starting pitchers last year is RH.

After looking over his stats at Baseball-Reference, I'm coming around a bit to Grandal spending a fair bit of time at 1B.

Over the last six years, he averaged 68 walks against 419 ABs. That is really good, and I don't think that will fade away. If anything, recent seasons have shown Grandal has honed that tool very well. To me, the issue is managing the wear and tear, and that means limiting the time behind the plate.

If he plays 100 games at catcher, with Pina/Nottingham/new acquisitions handling the other 60 in 2020 and 2021, that is good enough for me. In 2022 and 2023, with Feliciano/Henry/Fry coming up, Grandal can shift to being more of a 1B/DH and serve as the third C.

Letting go of Anderson & Thames is freeing up some money, that's a good thing if then spent wisely.

Braun is only around for one more year, right? It is hard to imagine they'd pay $15 million for a 37 year old Braun in 2021 when he had 1.8 WAR in 2019.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Letting go of Anderson & Thames is freeing up some money, that's a good thing if then spent wisely.

Braun is only around for one more year, right? It is hard to imagine they'd pay $15 million for a 37 year old Braun in 2021 when he had 1.8 WAR in 2019.

It is only $11mil. If we decline the option he gets $4mil buyout.

Matt Adams should come pretty cheap. He faded badly in the 2nd half though,

Adams .226/.276..Even cheap he would be a down grade over Thames. Big downgrade. Adams may be a minor lg. contract target, but not as an everyday 1B. Moreland might be a better FA option if they can get him on the cheaper side. There just isn't that much out there besides Kendrick and he is rumored to be re-signing with the Nats.

Have to think that they'll be going with Braun at first, and are thinking about Shaw playing there too if his bat comes back around.

Outfield of Yelich/Cain and either Grisham or Ray.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Can't blame Stearns for losing Choi in the roster crunch, but it sure would be nice to have him now. Looking back at the return for Ji-man makes me want to puke. Always liked Ji-Man and, yep, it sucked that we couldn't find a way to keep him.

Archived